No heat when below zero overnight - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

No heat when below zero overnight

I replaced my water pump, thermostat, coolant, and bleed the air out of system two months ago. No issues with heat this winter except for two occasions - about a week apart - my car is not garaged - overnight the wind chill was about -10 and morning temp 3 or 4 degrees.

I warmed up car for maybe 5 min. and headed out - clicked on heat multiple times about every 5 minutes - ice cold air at vents - driving on back roads about 40 mph - after about 20 min. roughly 10+ miles hot air comes out of the vents - works the rest of the trip to work - and heats up quickly heading home from work eight hours later.

The first time I had this issue I checked the in-line valve in the heater hose and it was not bound - it was in the correct position - the engine was hot and temp gauge on the mark - top radiator hose hot to the touch - bottom radiator hose cold - FYI - replaced radiator about a year ago.

Trying to figure out whats the cause - etc. Any advice?

Thanks,

Milty

98 Honda Accord 2.2 auto

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 AM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Heat should start to be available around 125F coolant temp, when the thermostat opens. Maybe your thermostat is stuck open, and the car won't warm up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 155K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #3 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 10:40 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltenbe1 View Post
I replaced my water pump, thermostat, coolant, and bleed the air out of system two months ago. No issues with heat this winter except for two occasions - about a week apart - my car is not garaged - overnight the wind chill was about -10 and morning temp 3 or 4 degrees.

I warmed up car for maybe 5 min. and headed out - clicked on heat multiple times about every 5 minutes - ice cold air at vents - driving on back roads about 40 mph - after about 20 min. roughly 10+ miles hot air comes out of the vents - works the rest of the trip to work - and heats up quickly heading home from work eight hours later.

The first time I had this issue I checked the in-line valve in the heater hose and it was not bound - it was in the correct position - the engine was hot and temp gauge on the mark - top radiator hose hot to the touch - bottom radiator hose cold - FYI - replaced radiator about a year ago.

Trying to figure out whats the cause - etc. Any advice?

Thanks,

Milty

98 Honda Accord 2.2 auto

I saw good info on another post about this before. Try changing your temp from hot to cold a few times. Sometimes the thermostat sticks, so when you dont get heat, put the knob to cool, wait 10 seconds, got to hot, wait 10 seconds and repeat 2-3 times. It worked on my car great and I had plenty of heat within 5 mins after starting. See if that works.

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)

post #4 of 5 Old 01-08-2018, 01:15 PM
2nd Gear

Garage
Try checking the door that opens and closes that allows the coolant to flow into the heater core. Theres a coolant line (if you have the 4 cylinder) that goes into the firewall from under the head. You'll see a little black, cant really descibe the shape, like a mini pump between the end of the hose and the firewall. Pop the hood, have someone cycle the heat from hot to cold and see if it moves each time they do it. Tell them to cycle and wait 5 seconds and listen and see if it opens. If the car gets perfect temp and doesnt over heat your thermostat is fine. If it is warm and youre not getting heat, as long as the blower is blowing its your heater core not getting coolant. Here a pic of the piece, best I can do. Its not from our car but it looks the same.
Attached Images
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the tips I'll check out the cold to hot temp knob back and forth idea as well as observer the unit that controls flow in the hose heading to the heater core. I'll report back in a couple of days.

Milty
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.