What's all involved in an ignition switch repair job? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-30-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

What's all involved in an ignition switch repair job?

For the past, I would say, year and a half. My car sometimes randomly dies. It's a 1999 2.3l 4cyl with almost 190k. It's my first car still, and I've driven it since around 130k. And my mom drove it since it was around 5 years old. I love this car, and I really want to keep it as a backup or winter vehicle once I get a different daily, which I plan on soon. But I want to fix everything on this one before that happens.

Whatever it is, it doesn't throw a code. The only code I have is P1457, which is for some emissions stuff and I don't think that's what is causing this problem. From what I've researched, it seems to have to be the ignition switch. Specifically the electronic part on it. Apparently our cars had a recall on it aswell, which I think mine got, but it seems to be the exact same problem.

It dies for absolutely no problem. I drove a 200 miles trip (one way) and drove all around town all day visiting family and it only died twice the entire 3 days. Yet on some days, it might die 4 times on the way to work, which is like 6 miles away. It always starts back up, and if it happens while driving, I can usually turn the key again and it will resume. But if I'm going slow enough, sometimes it completely dies and I need to stop, throw it in park and restart it, and then take off.

It also has problems starting. Not like a typical problem with the starter itself. Sometimes even if I step on the gas, it will rev then die. I've been trying to figure out what exactly it is for a long time, and I've been stuck between ignition switch and main relay. But it sounds much more like the ignition switch to me. I want to get it fixed, but I can't afford to buy the wrong part.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2017, 08:59 AM
4th Gear

My 98 4 cylinder did the same crap. Popped a new ignition switch in it and was good to go. Its not a hard repair by any means. $30-40 on Rock Auto. Good Luck.

post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Roll Tide!

If not that, swap out the corroded battery and ground cables.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2017, 05:56 PM
4th Gear

Very easy job. Just look around youtube / google.. Had the same symptoms on my 98 3-4 years ago and changed the worn out ignition switch.. Fixed. Common issue with age.

P1457 is your likely the purge solenoid on your vapor canister. Another common issue with these cars. Be prepared to swap the vapor canister too as the purge solenoid bolts tend to get rusted to it and hard to remove without messing up the canister.

As of December 16, 2017:

Bought April 2005: 1998 Accord EXL, 4 cyl, Heather Mist Sedan miles. Currently: 210k with JDM tranny replaced at 200k.

Bought March 2015: 2001 Accord EXL, 4 cyl, Taffeta White Sedan 27k original miles, currently at 46k.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1331 View Post
Very easy job. Just look around youtube / google.. Had the same symptoms on my 98 3-4 years ago and changed the worn out ignition switch.. Fixed. Common issue with age.

P1457 is your likely the purge solenoid on your vapor canister. Another common issue with these cars. Be prepared to swap the vapor canister too as the purge solenoid bolts tend to get rusted to it and hard to remove without messing up the canister.
Thanks man, also I have googled around and that's how I've come up with the conclusion that it is that specifically. But what all do I need to replace in the ignition? The whole unit or just the cable? Because from googling those are the 2 options that come up.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Also, just replaced my battery terminal clamps. It's solid now.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Out of Control

Clean the throttle body also.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #8 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

I changed mine after stalling out while driving on the free way. I first contacted Honda regarding recall. However they said my car had been inspected already. That meant nothing to me. So I bout the switch and replaced the defected one that I found had a nice flash burn on the connection plug. Since the replacement no problems. it took me about 40 min.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2018, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

Hint.

You can normally restart the car by putting it in neutral. Might save you from having to come to a complete stop.

2002 Honda Accord V6
2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.