3Likes
  • 1 Post By mtts60
  • 2 Post By 03LXV6
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in FL

Garage
Something may have went wrong...

Well, today, as smart a teenager can get, I disconnected the battery of my 6GA so I can learn how to fix my car in the hood and in the car... however, while trying to reconnect the battery, positive first, sparks were flying... same thing happened while I was connecting the negative (after the positive) and seeing a bit of smoke... My question is, does this happen frequently or is this a huge rookie mistake?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 113K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 45k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 3k (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Sometimes you do get sparks (small amounts) when reconnecting the cables, but smoke is another issue entirely. That is bad news.

CDsDontBurn likes this.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #3 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in FL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts60 View Post
Sometimes you do get sparks (small amounts) when reconnecting the cables, but smoke is another issue entirely. That is bad news.
So far, nothing went bad at all.. I am going to keep an eye out for that... Also, the negative cable made a small dent to the negative terminal on the battery.

Mine:

Parents:

Long gone:

post #4 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Elvira - the car

Smoke is baad ! M-kay? but you may have just vaporized some film that is on your terminal. Do you use a terminal protectant? You know, like Vaseline or that red spray?

A spark large enough to create a divot in the terminal is akin to shorting out the two terminals with a screwdriver across the two terminals.

Do you have an amp on the battery and didn't turn it off? It sounds like you were pulling a lot of power when returning the negative cable back on the post.

I get sparks all the time but nothing large enough to create an arc spot.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 05:06 PM

So did you learn anything in the hood and in the car? People generally don't just pop to hood and decide they are going to fix or learn to fix something. When you go tinkering around that's when you break things.
CDsDontBurn and enne like this.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Rollin in FL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
Smoke is baad ! M-kay? but you may have just vaporized some film that is on your terminal. Do you use a terminal protectant? You know, like Vaseline or that red spray?

A spark large enough to create a divot in the terminal is akin to shorting out the two terminals with a screwdriver across the two terminals.

Do you have an amp on the battery and didn't turn it off? It sounds like you were pulling a lot of power when returning the negative cable back on the post.

I get sparks all the time but nothing large enough to create an arc spot.
I don't have an AMP connected to the battery, plus I turn off everything before I turn off the car and I only had the raquet (not torque raquet) in my hand (I was wearing gloves and standing far) as this was happening. However, I don't have any terminal protectant on hand, as this is the very first time I removed the battery connection, as I tried to find the Recirculation Control Module (not sure where it is even located). Also, these weren't huge sparks. However, I did made another rookie mistake while doing this, which was having the engine bay face the garage and having the Acura parked directly right in-front of the 6GA.... probably won't be a great night with my dad if those sparks caused a fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
So did you learn anything in the hood and in the car? People generally don't just pop to hood and decide they are going to fix or learn to fix something. When you go tinkering around that's when you break things.
Yeah, I learned to keep the negative connector as far away from the negative terminal as possible and also to make sure the connectors are snug as possible to the connectors. I just have a set of sockets ranging from 6mm to 14mm, so I thought why not learn how to work on the car, so I can save you all time on explaining to me which parts to remove, etc... Plus, I am planning on super cleaning the interior of the car (requires me to remove the front seats) in the near future.

Mine:

Parents:

Long gone:
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2017, 06:45 PM

I have no new information to post here

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.