Collkid's Free 1999 DD. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
20Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Collkid's Free 1999 DD.

Wellllll I've done a lot of work over the last few weeks and would love to show it, get comments, and keep a record!

So here is goes.

As I've said before, I have been driving a 1992 Honda Civic for the last couple of years. It has almost 300k miles and has never missed a beat. However, my dad got a new toyota and gave me his old Accord. I couldn't pass up a free car!

This car makes sense to me for my current stage of life. My wife and I have been married 2.5 years, I'm still getting my masters at a Seminary and work with youth. I love cars and have owned many, but I always need a cheap and reliable daily driver.

So. My family has had this car since 2012. We got it with 146k on it. It currently has 205k.

It is a 2.3L manual.

Here it is the day I got it...

Purple paint and all.

Attached Images
enne likes this.
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So. Plan of attack.

Get rid of the CEL by cleaning the intake.
Change the air filters. (THEY WERE ORIGINAL!!!)
Paint it.
New headlights.
Clean the hell out of the interior.
Brake job front and rear.

Below:

Cabin air filters. Man that made everything blow better and smell better.

Cleaning intake. I noticed a change in how the car responded. Probably free'd up a few horses!

Attached Images
post #3 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Now it was time to paint it.

Honestly. Hate the purple color and it looked terrible. My thoughts were that if I'm going to have this car for another 100k miles, its worth it to get something that looks decent.

I knew I didn't want to spend much on paint (Macco said it would be 3-$4,000 to get it to look original) and I set myself a budget of $1,000 for the first initial upgrades on the car.

So. I started sanding. Took a full day to just get off the old original paint.
I didn't have time to go through and wet sand/bondo/prep really well. I committed a day to an old car to try and get the best results I can in 1 days work.
Attached Images
CDsDontBurn and enne like this.

post #4 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Dropped it off at Macco.

I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but ANYTHING would be better than that terrible purple.

So. We agreed to a single stage coat with primer and masking off.
The cost was going to be $795.

They told me to avoid black because black shows everything. But I realllllly wanted black.
So I originally picked a silver. When it came time to drop it off I decided I wanted something darker. I wanted to match my old Comanche that I had painted there a few years before, which was a charcoal color.

Anyway, there was a mix-up in communication. Both my fault and theirs. The car ended up black. They gave me $125 off.

So the total to have it painted was $575.

Honestly, it looks pretty good for only having 1 day to prep it. We all know that to get a proper paint job, I could spend months in the garage sanding/bondo/wet sanding/etc.
Attached Images
post #5 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Hey, ya got your own thread now. It's official!

And holy Moses, that intake! I wonder what mine looks like... You're giving me ideas now. And, you answered my question about the paint. Yeah, that purple paint has to go. What's weird is, my '99 had bad paint too, but the pattern of damage was way different than what I see on yours. It's so strange how these cars had such terrible paint, but just about everything else was okay, or at least decent.

That paint doesn't look too bad for $500. Orange peel is gonna be a thing at that price, but it doesn't look any worse than my DIY Airwrap job in those terms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #6 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Paint Problems.

The only issue that came up was the bumpers.

Totally. 100% my fault.

I sanded the plastic with a hard 80 Grit paper.

At this point. I think I'm going to order a new Rear bumper and either paint it myself, or back to Macco for more black.
Attached Images
post #7 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Hey, ya got your own thread now. It's official!

And holy Moses, that intake! I wonder what mine looks like... You're giving me ideas now. And, you answered my question about the paint. Yeah, that purple paint has to go. What's weird is, my '99 had bad paint too, but the pattern of damage was way different than what I see on yours. It's so strange how these cars had such terrible paint, but just about everything else was okay, or at least decent.

That paint doesn't look too bad for $500. Orange peel is gonna be a thing at that price, but it doesn't look any worse than my DIY Airwrap job in those terms.

Yeah I wasn't worried about Orange peel. Even a new car on the lot will have orange peel quite often.

I have done paint myself before, and it will turn out close to the same quality, its just how much time it takes and the mess it makes in the garage.

This paint job was convenient more than anything else.

Once i get some new Headlights and dark tint, should looks pretty good. Maybe new wheels/paint the wheels.
enne likes this.
post #8 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

And finally. Just a picture of the car overall.

So far, I love it. Wife and I already did a 500+ mile road trip into the mountains and it does pretty well going up the steep hills.
Its quiet and comfortable and gets 30+ MPG. I have a feeling it will last a while for us.

A question for you all:
How serious is the timing belt on these?
What about the water pump?
Are they known to fail?
Do I have a while or should I jump on this?

Last one was done at 110k
What I mean is, I have a 2001 4runner and most of those guys don't even replace their timing belts because they just don't break.

Attached Images
post #9 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Bout it, Bout it

Great job man! She's really shaping up nicely.

With an interference engine, the timing belt is critical. If the belt snaps, the pistons kiss the valves, and then good night. Use an Aisin kit since it contains high quality parts, including tensioner bearings & springs. At your mileage, you want to change everything while you're in there. I'd also recommend doing the seals and getting the balancer shaft seal retainer. There was a TSB on these engines for the balancer seal popping out and gushing oil.

I have the same mileage as you, and like enne said, now I want to know what my intake looks like as well.

2018 Hyundai Elantra VE
2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 210K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 50K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 130K miles VQ35 BABY!
post #10 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Great job man! She's really shaping up nicely.

With an interference engine, the timing belt is critical. If the belt snaps, the pistons kiss the valves, and then good night. Use an Aisin kit since it contains high quality parts, including tensioner bearings & springs. At your mileage, you want to change everything while you're in there. I'd also recommend doing the seals and getting the balancer shaft seal retainer. There was a TSB on these engines for the balancer seal popping out and gushing oil.

I have the same mileage as you, and like enne said, now I want to know what my intake looks like as well.

mclasser I think I will likely get this done. I haven't found a good write-up that doesn't intimidate me yet.
Would they normally touch the balancer seal during a timing belt job?

And absolutely pull off the intake. It took a few hours but totally worth it. Have a few cans of brakes part cleaner and throttle body cleaner.
post #11 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I'll throw Selene's intake in my Dad's ultrasonic cleaner... Hehe.

I replaced both bumpers on mine for not a whole lot of money. They come primed ready to paint.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #12 of 53 Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear

I love seeing older Hondas getting some TLC. That paint job totally passes the 15 foot inspection.

Definitely replace the timing belt. A break could be as harmless as bent valves, or as bad as damaged cylinders and pistons. Either way it's much easier and cheaper to prevent the problem.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

2009 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe V6 w/Navi, 6MT, Polished Metal Metallic.
post #13 of 53 Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I had Selene's timing belt and water pump, plus all new blue coolant, replaced at about 113k, I think? It was around $589 for everything. I had it done at a shop that specializes in non-domestic vehicles. Because I could not find any record of it being done in the past, I did that about a month after I got her. Didn't want to push my luck with a car that had been abused that long.

The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
collkid (10-12-2017)
post #14 of 53 Old 10-12-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Heard the brakes starting to make noises and some wiggles during downhill braking.

So I did the front brakes. Which apparently I did for my dad at 160k.

Also, ordered a new rear bumper cover. $80 on eBay.
Hope to get it painted for cheap or free.

Attached Images
post #15 of 53 Old 10-12-2017, 06:45 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Awesome work dude! I love seeing people taking good care of old cars, these old hondas don't deserve to look so ratty!

WOW, 205K on the original air filters.... Also, that intake, um, wow. CLEAN OUT YER INTAKE PEOPLES! Mine had a good bit of buildup, but nothing that crazy, even my dad's s2000 with 190K miles without having the intake cleaned before(probably) wasn't that bad. It was close though.

I'm dreading the day my 6-6's clearcoat starts to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 155K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.