stock exhaust diameter? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

stock exhaust diameter?

Does anyone know what the stock exhaust pipe diameter is? Also it looks
like the pipe is round from the cat to the resonator, then oval from resonator
to the muffler. I am thinking of installing 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipe and a 3 pipe muffler like a Dynomax superturbo that flows better than stock but is quieter than a straight thru like Magnaflow or Apexi WSII for less backpressure. I dont want it to be any noisier than my AEM cold air intake.

Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to CARVERitUP
its 2.25.

Happy modding

2000 Honda Accord LX- 4CYL Sedan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thrush Welded Muffler
Airaid Throttle-Body Spacer
Spectre Cold Air Intake
K&N Cone Filter
Cosmetics
Black Housing Crystal Headlights
DDM Tuning Raptor HID Kit 35W 6000K (Just installed!)
Ultra White Series Fog Lights
Eyelids
Painted Blue Valve Cover/Painted Black Header Heat Shield

In The Future:
Eibach Racing Springs
Front Lip
18" rims
Detailing
post #3 of 23 Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2accorddriver View Post
I am thinking of installing 2.25 or 2.5 inch pipe and a 3 pipe muffler like a Dynomax superturbo that flows better than stock but is quieter than a straight thru like Magnaflow or Apexi WSII for less backpressure.
Intake-exhaust cycle I/O must be matched and balanced. By enlarging your exhaust ID, your low-end (lower RPM) torque response is DEAD. The only improvement you MAY notice is when your tachometer runs out of numbers.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

exhaust diameter

That's what I want to avoid....too big exhaust diameter...so what size
shud I go with?....Apexi uses 2.375 inches and Magnaflow 2.25...
I probably wont get either of them..too noisy and expensive...the local
muffler shop can build me any size and cheaper then these catbacks
post #5 of 23 Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
CAN I BUY YOUR REAR LIP??

Just get Dynomax Super Turbos and delete the pre-muffler and exhaust resonator. perfect setup there. It'll give you super flow, with less noise, minimal cost, and you wont sacrifice low-end torque.

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe:

SRI/ Ram-Air flex tube
OBX TBS
SS Headers, Test Pipe, 2.5" piping, single outlet N1 style muffler.
Tein-S Tech springs
DDM 35W 8000K
White km/h gauges
Throttle Body Coolant re-route
08 TL-S RSB
Rear Seat Delete
post #6 of 23 Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Dynomax

I only have a resonator and muffler stock..no pre-muffler...do u have both a resonator and another premuffler?......Do you have Dynomax superturbo on your car?....wondering if it improves the get up and go? Thanks for input
post #7 of 23 Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to CARVERitUP
No Andrew has a custom catback system. Mostly stock or custom piping, he removed the premuffler, and he replaced the resonator with a Cherrybomb Glasspack. On the end of the piping he's got 2.5" out Thrush Welded Mufflers.

We're planning to replicate that with my 4 cyl in the spring maybe. I already have a Thrush Welded on...

But I agree with Andrew, though he doesn't have Dynomaxes (and neither do I), they will be a great choice for a muffler!

2000 Honda Accord LX- 4CYL Sedan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thrush Welded Muffler
Airaid Throttle-Body Spacer
Spectre Cold Air Intake
K&N Cone Filter
Cosmetics
Black Housing Crystal Headlights
DDM Tuning Raptor HID Kit 35W 6000K (Just installed!)
Ultra White Series Fog Lights
Eyelids
Painted Blue Valve Cover/Painted Black Header Heat Shield

In The Future:
Eibach Racing Springs
Front Lip
18" rims
Detailing
post #8 of 23 Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I just replaced the stock muffler with a 2.25 in/out 20 inch body Dynomax superturbo.
WOW!....I left the stock exhaust and resonator and put in 2.25 inch pipe after the
90 degree bend past the resonator. At least doubled the benefit of my AEM cold air
intake. The performance I was looking for with 95% same quiet ride...only a faint low
freq rumble at 60-65mph which I eliminated with some foam padding in the trunk to soak it up. $42 bucks on amazon plus 65 install ...worth every penny and more!
post #9 of 23 Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I just replaced the stock muffler with a 2.25 in/out 20 inch body Dynomax superturbo.
WOW!....I left the stock exhaust and resonator and put in 2.25 inch pipe after the
90 degree bend past the resonator. At least doubled the benefit of my AEM cold air
intake. The performance I was looking for with 95% same quiet ride...only a faint low
freq rumble at 60-65mph which I eliminated with some foam padding in the trunk to soak it up. $42 bucks on amazon plus 65 install ...worth every penny and more!
Hey that sounds sweet dude! I'm glad you like the setup! I'm really interested in that foam idea you have. Tell me more. My current setup has a boatload of interior drone.

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe:

SRI/ Ram-Air flex tube
OBX TBS
Tein-S Tech springs
DDM 35W 8000K
White km/h gauges
08 TL-S RSB
Rear Seat Delete
post #10 of 23 Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 PM

dude, awesome setup you got there!

have a video clip you can play for us via youtube?

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
post #11 of 23 Old 04-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Aspiring Tuner

exhaust mods are useless unless you post a vid...

265k and Running
Tons of Upgrades Currently in Progress...[3/31/16]

98 LX

ENGINE MODS
-Spectre CAI
-Flowmaster 40 Series
-NGK G-Power Plugs
-4-2-1 Header
-CherryBomb GlassPack Resonator
-JDM F23A Swapped

COSMETIC MODS
-Double 5% Tint
-Twin Halo Projectors
-Bright White LED Turn Signals
-DDM Tuning 6000k 35w

SUSPENSION MODS
-Megan Strut Bar

post #12 of 23 Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordLXMaster View Post
exhaust mods are useless unless you post a vid...
Yeah I gotta get around to making my vid too.

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe:

SRI/ Ram-Air flex tube
OBX TBS
Tein-S Tech springs
DDM 35W 8000K
White km/h gauges
08 TL-S RSB
Rear Seat Delete
post #13 of 23 Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I would post a vid, but it would sound like stock which is what I wanted so thats kinda
useless as far as sound. AccordasaurasRex...low freq drone is hard to eliminate, thats why I left the stock resonator in the system...cuts noise with litle if any affect on flow but google sound or acoustics websites and they do say lots of mass like memory foam
or the corner form on FoambyMail.com will soak up some and add just a little weight.
Try putting a bunch of blankets in the trunk behind the back seat and over the mufflers
as a trial before u spend any money on something else. If all else fails, the longer the muffler tubing, the more sound it absorbs...The 20 inch Dynomax turbo basically has 60 inches of tubing or flow path before exiting the muffler can, so it is pretty quiet. Thrush welded sounded noisier on the Dynomax website.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I would post a vid, but it would sound like stock which is what I wanted so thats kinda
useless as far as sound. AccordasaurasRex...low freq drone is hard to eliminate, thats why I left the stock resonator in the system...cuts noise with litle if any affect on flow but google sound or acoustics websites and they do say lots of mass like memory foam
or the corner form on FoambyMail.com will soak up some and add just a little weight.
Try putting a bunch of blankets in the trunk behind the back seat and over the mufflers
as a trial before u spend any money on something else. If all else fails, the longer the muffler tubing, the more sound it absorbs...The 20 inch Dynomax turbo basically has 60 inches of tubing or flow path before exiting the muffler can, so it is pretty quiet. Thrush welded sounded noisier on the Dynomax website.
Hmm.... thats all really interesting. 60 inches of flow path eh? dang. Yeah I'm pretty sure that turbo mufflers have reverse flow so that probably accounts for 60 inches.

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe:

SRI/ Ram-Air flex tube
OBX TBS
Tein-S Tech springs
DDM 35W 8000K
White km/h gauges
08 TL-S RSB
Rear Seat Delete
post #15 of 23 Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
In one place & one accord

Quote:
Dude, that's the setup I want! I especially like the idea of stock quiet...I don't want anything loud. Did you weld the mufflers on?

Pics? Please??

2001 Naples Gold Metallic Accord EX V6 Coupe that I want to look EXACTLY like
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.