2002 SRS light/Seat Belt Sensor (need Honda documentation) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2002 SRS light/Seat Belt Sensor (need Honda documentation)

Hi All,

I have 2002 Accord Sedan 4cyl EX with the SRS light that I have read many posts about. I took it to the dealer in November 2009 and they simply re-set the light and said if the light came back on, I would need to replace the seat belt(s); at some cost of course.

Well, guess what the light came back on.

Anyway, I have read some of you mention that Honda has a lifetime seatbelt warranty. Does anyone have a link to where Honda says this? Or is there some type of documentation I can present to the dealer to indicate that I should not have to pay for that?

Also, I know there is another recall on these airbag cartridges which I have not received a letter about. I am assuming they are going to say tough luck that this is not related to the SRS light.

Thanks for your help,
Mac

Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
banned

Mac1USA:

To my current knowledge, HMC provides a lifetime warranty on their seatbelts, in the case the vehicle has been involved in a crash, or the belts simply fail/wear out, as a consequence of normal use. BOTH (retractor + buckle) of my driver's side belts were replaced on my trusty '86, in 2006-2007. My cost = ZERO.

With my new belts, there was an enclosure stating Honda's seatbelt policy. I should scan this into a .jpg or .pdf and post it.

If your dealer refuses to accomodate you, please contact AHM, politely requesting resolution.

American Honda Motor Company - Contact Information

By Phone
At our toll-free number: 1-800-999-1009

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Honda Owners' Association Home page:

post #3 of 19 Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1usa View Post
Also, I know there is another recall on these airbag cartridges which I have not received a letter about. I am assuming they are going to say tough luck that this is not related to the SRS light.
Don't wait for the letter - at least one person has died from this issue. Call your dealer with your VIN and/or check Honda's ownerlink site for recall info. A coworker just had his 02's airbag changed after he checked ownerlink. He still hasn't received a letter from Honda Corp.

2010 PMM Accord LX-P, TSX rear sway, GG lower grille, 35% tint, 50K+
2006 Toyo Sienna LE, 100K+
2002 Accord SE (sold), TL rear sway and upper strut bars

post #4 of 19 Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
banned

Exclamation I Wanna New Bag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
Don't wait for the letter - at least one person has died from this issue. Call your dealer with your VIN and/or check Honda's ownerlink site for recall info. A coworker just had his 02's airbag changed after he checked ownerlink. He still hasn't received a letter from Honda Corp.

"I Wanna New Bag." (Sung to the Huey Lewis & The News tune, "I Wanna New Drug")

What you state is exactly what "torques my jaws." Just burns me up!

My dealer keeps making noises like, "If you haven't received a letter, then don't worry about it." The Sedan AND the Coupe use the same inflator unit. (BTW, it's also used on many Civics.) To Hell with this letter notification crapola. I religiously check the AHM site every week. I want the freaking thing REPLACED. DAMN IT!
post #5 of 19 Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
6th Gear

You need to determine what is causing the SRS light to come on as there are several things that can set the light. A dealer will have to user a Honda scanner to read the specific code. The seat belt latch is one common cause and is normally replaced free of charge as part of the lifetime seat belt warranty. See your owners manual for the seat belt warranty statement.
I dont like having others working on my car so I just reset the SRS light myself and determined the light came back on when I latched my seat belt. Cleaning the switch with a shot of alcohol fixed the problem and that was over a year ago.

A couple of other causes are covered by these Honda service bulletins and should be covered under warranty. If the first dealer does not want to fix it under warranty, take it to anther dealer.

Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SRS Bulletin 02-024.pdf (234.7 KB, 4260 views)
File Type: pdf SRS warranty.pdf (553.3 KB, 3193 views)

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #6 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

My srs light came on brought it in and they said it was something with the seat belt, and fixed it for free. They told me lifetime warranty on it.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
2002 Accord Sedan

Pdf of Seatbelt Warranty

My husband's accord had the same light come on for the same seatbelt sensor reason. The dealer said that it was the seatbelt clip sensor, not actually the seatbelt strap part. They replaced it for free. I would check with other dealers if you are having trouble with your current one. I have also had my seatbelt on a previous civic replaced for free under the "seatbelt warranty"- the warranty is mentioned in your owners manual under "additional information about your seatbelts". I attached a pdf of the pages, hope this helps.
Amber
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E10303O00050A.pdf (99.2 KB, 2975 views)
post #8 of 19 Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Out of Control

Mine did the same thing a few years back and the Honda Dealer replaced the sensor for free under the lifetime seatbelt warrantee.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #9 of 19 Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

All,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and input, I truly appreciate it and this forum is a great place to learn!!!

I am taking the car to the dealer next week. Apparently, I have to be prepared to pay a $45 diagnosis fee and then hopefully if it is the seat belt issue this will be covered.

This is my girlfriends car, and I just want it fixed. I would feel terrible if she were in an accident and the airbags did not work because of this SRS light.

Thanks again for your suggestions--I'll let you know what happens.

Mac
post #10 of 19 Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM
In one place & one accord

Yeah, I LOVE this forum.

SRS light just came on the other day so I'm hittin up the local Honda d-ship to get her fixed...might try the alcohol first though.

2001 Naples Gold Metallic Accord EX V6 Coupe that I want to look EXACTLY like
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

my srs light goes on randomly mainly when people in the passenger seat lean to the right for one reason or another never is on consistently tho its weird

SPSTuning.org

2002 Honda Accord 4door
in the car now
SIR intake the lower piping broke :(
2 12" kicker L5 in 1 ohm
Kicker sx-1250.1
raptor cap
2 6.5" kicker ks in front
2 6x9" polk DB 3 way's in the rear
front end strut bar
in the works
Full suspension kit
5 speed swap
full motor build with turbo.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

its on random cause it turns airbag off if it sense they arent sitting right in the seat to prevent injury from airbag
post #13 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2470 View Post
its on random cause it turns airbag off if it sense they arent sitting right in the seat to prevent injury from airbag
good to know man thanx for the info

SPSTuning.org

2002 Honda Accord 4door
in the car now
SIR intake the lower piping broke :(
2 12" kicker L5 in 1 ohm
Kicker sx-1250.1
raptor cap
2 6.5" kicker ks in front
2 6x9" polk DB 3 way's in the rear
front end strut bar
in the works
Full suspension kit
5 speed swap
full motor build with turbo.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 AM
In one place & one accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2470 View Post
Cool, was wondering about that myself...interesting.

2001 Naples Gold Metallic Accord EX V6 Coupe that I want to look EXACTLY like
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM
2000 4dr LX 4 Cyl (F23A4)

The thing you mentioned about the passenger side is called the OPDS system. On current model year, it is the ODS system, but pretty much the same thing. Sensors on the seat back detect where you body touches it. This tells the computer how tall you are. Another sensor tells it if you are sitting too close to the side air bag. The computer uses all this info to decide how fast to deploy the air bags, or if they should deploy at all. This also works with the SWS system to detect how much weight is in the seat and where. Too much weight on the front of the seat makes the computer think that a child seat has been installed and the airbag will not deploy.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.