Leaking Power Steering Fluid - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Leaking Power Steering Fluid

Sup Guys,

As of recent my 2000 Accord EX V6 has been leaking power steering fluid. I noticed it about three weeks ago when the fluid was below minimum. When i filled it up about two weeks ago i noticed the fluid was blackish instead of clear. I also noticed that there is fluid around what i think may be the power steering pump however im not sure. Its located at the top left of my engine where the belts are. when i put the flashlight on it with the car on and turning the wheel i dont see anything dripping. The car turns fine without whining. It just appears to have a small leak somewhere. Anyone ever have this problem?

2016 Honda Accord Sport
2006 Honda Accord EX i4 Sedan W/ Nav.
2000 Honda Accord EX V6 Sedan
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
I think you may have the issue that I had. Same car too.

Make sure those two bolts are tight first. Then while someone turns the wheel keep a finger around where those two join and see if you can see any fluid on your finger. If so, turn off the car, undo those two bolts and carefully pull up (have a rag as some power steering fluid will probably leak). Check the O-Ring on the part you pulled up and if need be replace it ($1 at the stealership). Tighten back up with the new O-Ring and see if the problem persists.

2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
post #3 of 26 Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

CYANiDE

thanks for your quick and detailed response. I will give it a try as soon as it warms up a little here in NY. Did it take long to replace the O-rings? btw, is it normal for my power steering fluid to appear blackish?

2016 Honda Accord Sport

post #4 of 26 Old 01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
VTAKKKK

5 second job. My power steering fluid was a goldish color, if it hasn't been replaced you should go get it done soon.

FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
post #5 of 26 Old 01-31-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I found out where the leak is coming from, your were pretty close Cyanide, its the same hose your referring too except its a little further up, where the metal meets the rubber. Thats where its leaking from. I bought a small bottle of power steering fluid with stop leak, has anyone used this before? does it work? I havent used it yet but thought about giving it a shot it. Otherwise i may need to replace that hose, whats the name of that hose? Anyone know what is goes for and how much is it to replace?

2016 Honda Accord Sport
post #6 of 26 Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
I bought a small bottle of power steering fluid with stop leak, has anyone used this before? does it work? I havent used it yet but thought about giving it a shot it. Otherwise i may need to replace that hose, whats the name of that hose? Anyone know what is goes for and how much is it to replace?
Using anything other than Genuine Honda PSF is inviting disaster. Replace the "O" rings and/or leaking hose. Many Honda parts catalogs are available online to assist you.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM
VTAKKKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
I found out where the leak is coming from, your were pretty close Cyanide, its the same hose your referring too except its a little further up, where the metal meets the rubber. Thats where its leaking from. I bought a small bottle of power steering fluid with stop leak, has anyone used this before? does it work? I havent used it yet but thought about giving it a shot it. Otherwise i may need to replace that hose, whats the name of that hose? Anyone know what is goes for and how much is it to replace?
Replace the hose. Do not use any other PSF as it will create a disaster.

post #8 of 26 Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

thanks, i will take it into consideration and return the PSF stop leak I purchased and purchase genuine Honda PSF and replace the leaky hose. Thanks again gentlemen.

2016 Honda Accord Sport
post #9 of 26 Old 02-02-2010, 07:23 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
I don't think that hose is gonna be cheap.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
banned

You're looking at ~$100 or for a new hose...

post #11 of 26 Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Im going to order the Power Steering hose, has anyone ever replaced this on a 2000 accord ex v6 sedan? Is it difficult? Anyone know of a write up (instruction)?

2016 Honda Accord Sport
post #12 of 26 Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 AM

That hose shouldn't be that hard to replace. The 2 bolts you see in the pic is half the job. Go to the other end of the hose and do remove the other bolts. Use a cloth to catch the spilled fluid.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #13 of 26 Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Has anyone ever replaced a power steering hose on a 2000 accord v6 ex? Is it a difficult job? Besides ordering the hose how many bottles of power steering fluid will i need? Is all the liquid gonna spill out once i change the hose?

2016 Honda Accord Sport
post #14 of 26 Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

anyone?

2016 Honda Accord Sport
post #15 of 26 Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

I just had a similar problem. I live in MA, and our cars rot all the time. I had a power steering line that ran from my radiator (to cool it I guess?), which was all rotted out and leaking.

I couldn't really reach that area, so I had my mechanic do it on his lift. You need to take all the plastic ferrings off underneath the car. He added extra power steering fluid, but I don't know if it was Honda Specific or not!!! What damage could that cause? I don't think he ordered new parts, but instead fashioned a flexible metal hose to replace the rotted one.

Also, I think he forgot to put a piece back on in the car. If I look through my front bumper, I can see straight through to the radiator, and the pipes that come off of it. I don't remember being able to see them that easily and I think there used to be some sort of guard that was taken off, but he claims he did no such thing.

Any insight? Anyone have a stock 2000 Accord, in which they could look at the front end for me...do you see straight through to the radiator?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.