F23A1 Distributor Issues - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

F23A1 Distributor Issues

Ok so I was doing research about why my car has been misfiring (VTEC is actually barely audible and AWFUL mpg) well I found oil inside of the distributor....I already ordered a new one but cleaned everything off really good on the inside and the car ran AMAZING! I didnt expect VTEC to be so loud in a SOHC plus I got great gas mileage it did great my whole drive plus my belt quit squeaking im guessing due to the engine not shaking like a bull ride and when I used the A/C the rpms stayed exactly the same definitely not what im used to...well when I stopped and started the car again (crank) it was running horrible again so I took the cap back off (oily again) so I recleaned it and again it ran perfect well now its back to running horrible and no matter how much I clean the internals of the distributor it still runs horrible. Did I waste money on a new distributor or what? I'm worried that maybe there is the issue with the distributor plus something unknown.....any help is greatly appreciated.

post #2 of 7 Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

If it runs fine for a while after cleaning/replacing the distributor, then starts acting up again like that in a cycle, you have a problem somewhere else. Check your plugs, wires etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

1989 Honda Prelude Si Coupe 2.0 B20A5 4WS 93k Granada Black Pearl
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 AM
4th Gear

Was your replacement a brand new distributor or used? If the latter, you could have a bad o-ring on your replacement as well (the one that's pressed on inside the dizzy, not the $3 external one.) Is the oil at the igniter unit? Where exactly are you wiping? Pictures would be helpful. Hook up a scanner and look for pending codes also.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Bout it, Bout it

Forgive my stupidity; not sure if I understand you fully. You're having these issues with the OLD distributor, right? Have you installed the new one yet?

2018 Hyundai Elantra VE
2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 210K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 50K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 130K miles VQ35 BABY!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Out of Control

Check the basics, oil inside the distributor cap should not be an issue except a fire hazard! Check the wires, plugs, and coil and do a compression test. If that checks good, then look for vacuum leaks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Sorry I took so long I didn't know I had replies I figured the site would email me ...I have the replacement on there now and it seems to have cleared up a little but still idles strange when I turn the air on and still has that strange bum bum bum bum chug to it the wires are brand new the plugs were new also but I had a code for cylinder 3 so I pulled the plug and it was solid black and it was only in there maybe a month that was maybe 2 weeks ago when it runs right it feels like a brand new car but right now the motor shakes real hard and idles wrong which also makes the belt squeak which is embarrassing battery just went out also but the replacement didn't help anything (unsurprisingly) BTW the replacement distributor is brand new not used also I pulled my cat someone told me to check it BC my car had a day where the belts squealed really bad and my car smelled of rotten eggs or sulfur but it turns out my CAT has already been previously hollowed
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2016, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

The internal oring on these distributors leak with age / miles. I am not talking about the easy to replace external oring, but the hard to get to one that is a major pain.

Mine was leaking on my 1998, and a buddy at Dallas JDM gave me one for free off a low mileage engine.. When I swapped it, I put in a fresh external oring. I have been leak free ever since.

One thing to note, when these distributors leak, the oil tends to drip down on a heater hose below it. The oil softens the rubber hose causing it to swell then eventually fail. I changed this hose out too when I swapped the distributor.

I would suggest you contact a JDM shop or check Ebay to find a good one cheap. Changing out the internal oring is a tough job and often does not fix the leak (see youtube). A brand new distributor will set you back ~$400.

As of December 16, 2017:

Bought April 2005: 1998 Accord EXL, 4 cyl, Heather Mist Sedan miles. Currently: 210k with JDM tranny replaced at 200k.

Bought March 2015: 2001 Accord EXL, 4 cyl, Taffeta White Sedan 27k original miles, currently at 46k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.