tranny confusion need help! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

tranny confusion need help!

my 98accord f23A1 need a tranny replacement.
i was told in a forum that i could use the tranny from 98-02 ex/dx/lx to replace my tranny.

is this correct?

now someone told me that there will be a problem because im going to replace it with a non v tranny F23A4.

what are the mods i need to do?
pls help, i already have the tranny got it for $500

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 05:29 AM
6th Gear

I wouldnt think the engine numbers (LEV or ULEV) would matter as long as it is a 4 cyl. There are two different 4 cyl. transmission numbers tho, depending on where the car was built US (BAXA) or Japan (MAXA). Do you know if your replacement transmission number matches the original?

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
banned

98accord808:

What Nehonda states is correct. Code "BAXA" is U.S. built, "MAXA" is Japan built.

What do you know about the transmission you purchased? What year car did it come out of? Any idea about the mileage on the tranny? Here's my personal wish it came out of a 2002 car.

Depending upon the year of the car the transmission came out of, and the tranny code, there may be some PCM recalibration or reprogramming involved. Possibly some differences in the servos/solenoids and TC (torque converter). I suggest you get the serial number to check with your dealer about possible differences. Else send a PM to FredSVT.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 04:42 PM

You need to use the same model code transmission the car came with.

Trying to swap out different models, or JDM transmissions into a US built US spec car will be nothing but one big headache.

As Robert mentioned, there can be detail differences between the two units that won't be readily apparent until it's too late.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #5 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehonda View Post
I wouldnt think the engine numbers (LEV or ULEV) would matter as long as it is a 4 cyl. There are two different 4 cyl. transmission numbers tho, depending on where the car was built US (BAXA) or Japan (MAXA). Do you know if your replacement transmission number matches the original?
where would i find the code?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

i found the code
from my car 98 lx: BAXA-5160501
WPAX30

from junk yard 02 Dx: BAXA-9036779
2PAX03
post #7 of 11 Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 AM
6th Gear

The numbers following the BAXA is the serial number, but I am not familiar enough with transmission numbers to know if it means anything important. Hopefully you got the torque converter along with the transmission. Your old converter should be replaced as it will be contaminated with trash. Be sure to flush your ATF cooler and lines for the same reason.

Good Luck

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #8 of 11 Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
You need to use the same model code transmission the car came with.

Trying to swap out different models, or JDM transmissions into a US built US spec car will be nothing but one big headache.
What are the diffs and what kinds of headaches? I'm asking b/c a coworker had a reman MAXA trans put into his US-built 02/VP by Honda years ago. I assume that's what it is due to the "MAXA" sticker on the trans, but it's possible that Honda just reused the core and built it to US specs.

2010 PMM Accord LX-P, TSX rear sway, GG lower grille, 35% tint, 50K+
2006 Toyo Sienna LE, 100K+
2002 Accord SE (sold), TL rear sway and upper strut bars
post #9 of 11 Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 AM
banned

To All:

Swapping trannies is tricky business. A rebuilt from HMC versus a salvage-yard unit are entirely different situations.

I strongly ditto with FredSVT and Nehonda.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
My First Post

Hi

What does the WPAX30 mean?
Would a WPAX30 be suitable replacement for a WPAX40 (both units are BAXA).
Can we use MCJA to replace a BAXA?

Please help.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 AM
My First Post

jdm transmission auto honda acura

hi guys i guess i feel i have to write something about the JDM auto transmissions

heres the thing

the jdm trans does bolt up the same but it does not work in us cars why? you are going to ask because of one thing in ca. we have a thing called smog oh yea ok so use a jdm trans in a us car guess what happens? you will get a check eng light p0730/p0740 why do you get this code? shifts great rpm is a bit high but shifts good. you do what at this point? you check all your wires but nothing makes this code go away and now cant smog your car because of the light on right.

JDM trans what they didnt tell you.

in japan they do not care about gas savings they only want performance GREAT i like that to but with autos trans in the us they dont care about that they care about smog. so the us car haves the ecu set up to save gas. and the us trans are also set up to save gas.

so JDM trans do not work for passing smog in the us. why because the gear ratio is not the same the the us car ecu picks up the differents and gives you the code p0730 code there is nothing you can do about this code less you change the ecu but then again you will still not pass smog because the wheel speed and rpm reading will be high so the smog coming out of your car will be more it will make the code go away but think about the money you pay for the jdm trans then the jdm ecu and still not passing smog should of just used a US tran and all would work the way it was before the trans gone out.

us case codes mean only trans you can use in a car in the us is BAXA/MAXA "MAXA" ONE HAVES A BRACKET AND ONE DONT.

watch out for this little trick the JDM companys try. they will us a us case code and guess what the inside is jdm parts so you will get the same codes so best bet is not to buy from a jdm company for a auto trans.

DO not use any other trans code for your auto i have seen them side by side and gear count is not the same. thanks again for reading hope this helps

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-01-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.