Selene's Official Modification Thread ('99 Accord LX) - Page 23 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
183Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #331 of 589 Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Rollin in FL

Garage
That detailing looks like you just bought her off of the showroom brand new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 113K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 45k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 3k (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
Advertisement

post #332 of 589 Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by datechbpss101 View Post
That detailing looks like you just bought her off of the showroom brand new.
Once I get new headlights in and the wheels coated (either powder or dip) I hope she'll look even more new Then comes the interior lol

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #333 of 589 Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 PM
3rd Gear

Wow that looks fantastic!

2017 Accord Coupe EX-L V6
J35 6AT
Modern Steel Metallic
1K miles and counting

1998 Accord Sedan LX
F23A1 4AT
Dark Emerald Pearl
217K miles and counting

post #334 of 589 Old 01-11-2017, 05:35 AM
Rollin in FL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Once I get new headlights in and the wheels coated (either powder or dip) I hope she'll look even more new Then comes the interior lol
You should dip the rims and get xenon bulbs. That's my suggestion.

Mine:

Parents:

Long gone:
post #335 of 589 Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Speaking of dipping wheels, Raail Performance Coatings is working on a chrome drop-in tint for AirWrap. It looks pretty amazing and is removable. Once we get the formulation and technique right, we'll have spray-on, peelable chrome coating to use on wheels and trim

On another note, I got some better shots of the gold pearl this morning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Blu3RSX likes this.

post #336 of 589 Old 01-11-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Here is a photo that gives a decent comparison of how smooth the new AirWrap 1.1 formula is on a pristine surface (the brand new bumper). It was sprayed on the whole car, but unfortunately the old dip didn't re-liquify as expected, so the orange peel on the car is still there from my DIY job in May. Regardless, it looks great in person, and the orange peel is not noticeable until viewed up close in the light, like traditional automotive paint.

post #337 of 589 Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
The paint looks really great! Wow. Makes me wanna dip my car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datechbpss101 View Post
You should dip the rims and get xenon bulbs. That's my suggestion.
Be careful with the HIDs(which is what you mean by xenon bulbs). Even if you have them retrofitted properly, a lot of state inspections got stricter, and having anything too blue will definitely grab cops' attention since they know HIDs cannot be stock on an old Accord. There is also the money and effort you have to put into retrofitting.

Honestly, grab yourself a pair Philips CrystalVision and get on with life. I don't have the best night vision, and yet I find Philips CrystalVision putting out more than enough light for me to see properly at night.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #338 of 589 Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I can hook you up with an installer if you ever get the itch

Quote:
Be careful with the HIDs(which is what you mean by xenon bulbs). Even if you have them retrofitted properly, a lot of state inspections got stricter, and having anything too blue will definitely grab cops' attention since they know HIDs cannot be stock on an old Accord. There is also the money and effort you have to put into retrofitting.

Honestly, grab yourself a pair Philips CrystalVision and get on with life. I don't have the best night vision, and yet I find Philips CrystalVision putting out more than enough light for me to see properly at night.
I might use these headlights, since they're already ruined, to practice opening and messing with them. If it's not too hard I might try a retrofit with an OEM set of headlights...That's a big maybe, but we'll see.

People around here with old Civics and other..."special"...cars run HIDs in the stock housings, put colored films on head and tail lights, black out tail lights, and tint their windows nearly black. Even some 6th gen Accords. There's a white one with red rattle canned wheels up the road from me, and black windows. You seriously cannot see into it.

I don't think I'd be a target if I did a proper retrofit with warm white bulbs (they make those, I hope?). And that's a very big if. Inspection isn't a huge issue really. And I wouldn't want cool tones clashing with the gold pearl anyway

I use Sylvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs right now. I don't really mind that they don't last as long, they definitely are brighter than the other ones of that brand. Maybe I'll try those Phillips ones next.

post #339 of 589 Old 01-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Rollin in FL

Garage
Quote:

I used to live in PA, where there's state inspection that is required, and I had a friend that had HID's, and limo tint on his Civic and Jetta, and he passed the state inspection each year. I now live in FL, where I see lots of Xenon headlights on all older generation Accord's and newer cars too. And like I said, this was my suggestion.

Mine:

Parents:

Long gone:
post #340 of 589 Old 01-13-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Ya know, now that I think about it, something I actually want to do regarding lighting is install a set of fog lights. Only trouble is, I'd have to wire them somehow to turn off when the high beam is turned on. Pennsylvania law states that both high beams and fog lights cannot be illuminated at the same time, so I'd like to be in compliance with that. But I'm not sure how to go about doing that, exactly. I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to electrical stuff...And cutting wires freaks me out a little.

post #341 of 589 Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Appreciate the offer, driving from the Great White North is too far away...

Quote:

I might use these headlights, since they're already ruined, to practice opening and messing with them. If it's not too hard I might try a retrofit with an OEM set of headlights...That's a big maybe, but we'll see.

People around here with old Civics and other..."special"...cars run HIDs in the stock housings, put colored films on head and tail lights, black out tail lights, and tint their windows nearly black. Even some 6th gen Accords. There's a white one with red rattle canned wheels up the road from me, and black windows. You seriously cannot see into it.

I don't think I'd be a target if I did a proper retrofit with warm white bulbs (they make those, I hope?). And that's a very big if. Inspection isn't a huge issue really. And I wouldn't want cool tones clashing with the gold pearl anyway
Don't go too blue and you should be OK. 5000K should be a pure white colour that looks nice. If you want a warmer white, some HIDs have 4300K ones. Those will be slightly yellow.

Maybe the guys driving the car with black windows are secret agents. You never know... or they could be criminals kidnapping kids... Nah, probably just idiots. I mean, I doubt someone who's dumb enough to black out their windows are clever enough to kidnap anyone...

And then there are people with fart cans so loud that I can't hear the radio at all with windows closed. Would have forgiven a car that is supposed to be loud and nice, like a Hellcat or Vette. Fellow Accord V6s are also fine. Really just wanna smack those ricers in the face for ruining the good music.

Inspection-wise, I just heard from some people that some states are really strict about this now, and some people have to take off their setups because of the state inspections now. I heard some people passing the inspection with 8000K plug-n-play HIDs... Sometimes law enforcements just don't care. I never had any issues with my LED exterior bulbs(not allowed in Canada as far as my knowledge goes), and driving with my Navi on(not allowed on my Novice license) also never got me a ticket.

Quote:
Ya know, now that I think about it, something I actually want to do regarding lighting is install a set of fog lights. Only trouble is, I'd have to wire them somehow to turn off when the high beam is turned on. Pennsylvania law states that both high beams and fog lights cannot be illuminated at the same time, so I'd like to be in compliance with that. But I'm not sure how to go about doing that, exactly. I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to electrical stuff...And cutting wires freaks me out a little.
Not a lot of fog lights are actually functional. Most of them are auxiliary. Mine helps out a little in rain, but that's it. Think about it: if they are really functional, automotive makers should take them more seriously, rather than, say, making it something exclusive to an engine option(despite fog lights having nothing to do with the engine).

Wiring an entire set could be tricky. You need to make an extra switch. I guess you can always manually turn off high beams when you have fogs on, although my Accord turns fogs off automatically when high beams are on. Just make sure you don't forget; I would assume having 3 sets of lights on can be harsh on the electrical systems.

Cutting wires aren't that bad. Just be slow and you should be okay. While tapping is an option, I think you should solder if you have a pair of fog lights.
DerekWildstar likes this.

You will be remembered.

post #342 of 589 Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Instead of trying expensive stuff, try some $25 HIR lamps first. 9012 (low beam) and 9011 (hi). Some modification of the lamp's base is needed, search the internet for that. Almost twice as bright as normal headlights, last twice as long, cost twice as much.
enne likes this.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #343 of 589 Old 01-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts60 View Post
Instead of trying expensive stuff, try some $25 HIR lamps first. 9012 (low beam) and 9011 (hi). Some modification of the lamp's base is needed, search the internet for that. Almost twice as bright as normal headlights, last twice as long, cost twice as much.
I believe one of the bulb types for Philips CrystalVision Ultra got the HIR layer for them. You can see a oil-like film in those bulbs.

The issue I have HIR2 is simple: too limited options. No 9005 or H11 ones(high and low beams for 8th Gen Accord Coupes), and most of them still have the yellow colour, which is not as asthetically pleasing, and whiter lights from CrystalVision helps you see wild animals better due to a better contrast. Yellow can easily merge with a deer's brown fur.

(Yeah, I wrote this on my phone. Wow.)
DerekWildstar likes this.

You will be remembered.

post #344 of 589 Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear

I find I use the fogs most often on dark roads to give me a little more vision on the sides of the roads. I'm from southern New Jersey, and it's pretty rural, which means lots of two-lane county roads with no street lamps. I find the fog lights give me better vision to the sides of the road, which is helpful when you are dealing with curvy roads in the dark. And JinX is right, yellow looks nicer, but there is no scientific evidence that it actually gives you better vision.

Off-topic, but can I just say again how much I enjoy this thread? It also makes me miss my old '98 coupe something fierce...

2012 Accord EX-L V6 coupe, polished metal metallic.
post #345 of 589 Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekWildstar View Post
I find I use the fogs most often on dark roads to give me a little more vision on the sides of the roads. I'm from southern New Jersey, and it's pretty rural, which means lots of two-lane county roads with no street lamps. I find the fog lights give me better vision to the sides of the road, which is helpful when you are dealing with curvy roads in the dark.

Off-topic, but can I just say again how much I enjoy this thread? It also makes me miss my old '98 coupe something fierce...
That's what the fogs would be for in my case as well. Better lighting to either side on dark roads. We're in PA so there's plenty of dark, curvy, deer-infested roads here.

I'm visiting the folks next weekend. I'm gonna put the OEM headlights back in, after giving them a good wet sanding and compound. Then, weather permitting, I'm hoping to get a good hand washing and spray wax application on Selene.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.