Power Steering Fluid Replacement - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Power Steering Fluid Replacement

Hi

I am trying to replace power steering fluid in my 2001 Honda Accord EXL V6. I have seen the videos and it looks doable with help from a friend. I have a couple of questions:

- How much should I buy from the dealer ($5 for a pint)?
- Does it help to drain and refill (moving steering wheel, etc) and then repeat it? Or doing it once is enough?
- Any thing I should look out for from the experience of other DIYers here.

Thanks
Sunny

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Sunny, for ATF and coolant, stick with Honda. For everything else, don't worry. You can buy a large bottle of brand X power steering fluid and just do "drain and fill" procedures.

If your 2001 V6 is anything like the 7th Gen power steering reservoirs, then go to the 7th Gen forum and look for the "So You Just Bought a 7th Gen" sticky and look at the 2 links on how to change your power steering fluid.

I removed the reservoir- it took two hose clamps and about 1 minute, slid it up, dumped the fluid, and repeated 3 times. I prefer to NOT have the engine running while changing the fluid.

Good luck.

post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Sunny, for ATF and coolant, stick with Honda. For everything else, don't worry. You can buy a large bottle of brand X power steering fluid and just do "drain and fill" procedures.

If your 2001 V6 is anything like the 7th Gen power steering reservoirs, then go to the 7th Gen forum and look for the "So You Just Bought a 7th Gen" sticky and look at the 2 links on how to change your power steering fluid.

I removed the reservoir- it took two hose clamps and about 1 minute, slid it up, dumped the fluid, and repeated 3 times. I prefer to NOT have the engine running while changing the fluid.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I thought it helps to run the engine and turn the steering while side to side to remove all the fluid from the line and then do the same to refill?

Also, a 32 oz Preston bottle should be enough?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2015, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

Don't use anything except genuine Honda power steering fluid. Anything else is asking for trouble.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 09-24-2015, 02:36 PM
one wheel drive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdog View Post
Don't use anything except genuine Honda power steering fluid. Anything else is asking for trouble.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
I remember hearing that rumor too. Can anyone validate it?

99 EXV6 Coupe 220k 6spd swap
95 F250 supercab 7.3 4x4 5spd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- RIP, for you have served us well
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Out of Control

Garage
For only a few dollars difference, is it worth (potentially) causing problems to the steering rack? I thought not, so I went with Honda fluid. I mean, this is a once-every-few-years job for most of us.

And yes, at some point during the drain/fill, you do need to turn the wheels.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #7 of 9 Old 09-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Out of Control

ONLY USE HONDA GENUINE FLUID IN THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM

it's important to use honda genuine windshield washer fluid too.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM

When it comes to fluids - aside from DW-1 ATF - use whatever works for the system you're using. Just be sure it complies with Honda's specification. DOT3 for brake fluid, silicate free for coolant, mineral free for windshield washer fluid, etc.

For power steering fluid, the fluid itself is simply hydraulic fluid and any off the shelf PS fluid will do. If you care about the brand of fluid, then use that brand fluid for which you prefer. You will have to do this same procedure again at some point in the life cycle of the power steering fluid anyways, so it won't matter if you use Honda genuine or any off the shelf brand power steering fluid. If it saves you 5,000 miles from the next interval by going Honda genuine and you want that, then spend the extra money to go an extra 5,000 miles. If you're worried about the O-Rings and gaskets in the PS system going out, they will go out anyways even if you go Honda genuine.

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutLimo View Post
I remember hearing that rumor too. Can anyone validate it?
Well, it is molded into the power steering reservoir by Honda in three different languages. I would say that validates it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.