RPM bouncing in park - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

RPM bouncing in park

I turned my 2002 Accord EX V6 on and the tach bounces up and down to around 2000 rpms. I pressed the gas, thinking that maybe the pedal got stuck a little bit, but it didnt stop. I turned it off, and then immediately tried to turn it back on and the tach was bouncing up and down again to 2000 rpms. It was working perfectly earlier today, can anyone tell me whats wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

bad or gunked up IAC perhaps? If this were an Odyssey, I'd be telling you to fix the PS pressure switch wire - no idea if this has been a problem on the accords though.

post #3 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 01:17 PM
banned

Ajaffer:

You give rather sparse information about your car (e.g., mileage, maintenance history, etc.).

My first GUESS is a defective IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. It dramatically affects idling operation.

If you have an AutoZone in your area, take your car there for a (OBD II) "code check." They will perform this service for FREE. You can then have your Honda dealer service department personnel interpret any error codes indicated.

If your IAT sensor is faulty, you're looking at a cost of about $23.21, per Majestic Honda's website. See item #14 on the parts listing...

If defective, your dealer should replace it for a modest charge. If you are handy with a wrench, I'd bet you can install it yourself. It's a fairly-simple, straightforward task.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I just bought the car recently, it has around 56000 miles, and seems to be in good shape.

I drove it around for a little bit and the rpms went back to normal. But, at random times when I turn the car on, the rpms will shoot up to 2000 rpms and then go back down to normal after about 10 seconds.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

i had the same exact problem with my 1995 honda. i would be willing to bet you 100 bucks that its the throttle postion sensor! which is only replaceable by replacing the whole throttle body. which could run upwards of $700 but i bought one on ebay for $125. if its not the IAT sensor its that.

1995 honda accord
5 spd
lowered on eibach pro
mugen front and rear lips.
short ram intake
front upper strut bar
projector headlights
hood LEDs
Fogs
blue glow in mugen front lip eyes.
interior blue glow
rocksford fosgate full sound system
post #6 of 11 Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Greg

I am willing to bet it is the Idle Air Control Valve. I had the same problem on my 99 and the problem would come and go. I actually got to the dealer and it wasn't doing it so I had to drive around for a while and bring it back when it started bouncing back and forth. Costed me about $230 from the dealer I think.

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE Turbo

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
does it only do it while its warming up?

-'15 Accord Sport 6-speed
no mods
RIP-08 Accord lx-s 5speed manual/ tafetta white
mods
|DDM tuning 6k hids|12" Alpine Type-R|TSX switchblade|Lip spoiler|Type-R Suede red stitch boot|Gunmetal Type-R knob|
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
post #8 of 11 Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM
one wheel drive

Garage
+1 Gstone and bfax

There is a vacuum leak.. most likely the IAC valve is sticking open at times. When the computer sees over roughly 1100rpm and throttle closed it cuts off the injectors. It will surge like this.

99 EXV6 Coupe 220k 6spd swap
95 F250 supercab 7.3 4x4 5spd
- RIP, for you have served us well
post #9 of 11 Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

i was told and thought it was the IAC valve as well. and i was also told it could be a vacuum leak! BUT it still turned out to be the throttle position sensor!
like i said. $100 lol

1995 honda accord
5 spd
lowered on eibach pro
short ram intake
front upper strut bar
projector headlights
hood LEDs
Fogs
interior blue glow
post #10 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 AM
one wheel drive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crommie1 View Post
i was told and thought it was the IAC valve as well. and i was also told it could be a vacuum leak! BUT it still turned out to be the throttle position sensor!
like i said. $100 lol
I suppose if TPS were signaling closed but was partly open for whatever reason it could do that, effectively a vac leak. Do you think that's what yours did? Not sure how similar the 5th gen intakes are but as far as I know they didn't have the same rotary IACV that was introduced with the 6th gen thats prone to sticking. When you fixed yours, was the sensor built into the throttle body or could it be easily removed? I've been told there are aftermarket TPSs for the 6th gens rather than replacing both throttle body and TPS which is only available from Honda as one!$!$

99 EXV6 Coupe 220k 6spd swap
95 F250 supercab 7.3 4x4 5spd
- RIP, for you have served us well
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

it was permanantly on their. that is why i had to replace the whole thing.

1995 honda accord
5 spd
lowered on eibach pro
short ram intake
front upper strut bar
projector headlights
hood LEDs
Fogs
interior blue glow
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.