Tranny Code P0740/ Reverse acts like neutral sometimes - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Tranny Code P0740/ Reverse acts like neutral sometimes

I have a '00 Honda Accord EX 4cyl and for the past year I have had the code P0740 but it has never caused any issues. Recently I have slowly had some issues with my reverse, mainly on inclines, when I go into reverse it will move a couple of feet and then act like it is in neutral until I shift to another gear and then go back to reverse and then its fine and will reverse with no issue. I took it to have a diagnostics done and they are saying it will cost around 2k for a tranny overhaul. The only thing they really mentioned was the torque converter being replaced. I am sure most of the 2k is in labor costs as they said it would take 3-4 days to be complete. When I looked up the code it said it could either be the Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid or the wiring harness is loose or damaged. Has anyone else had any experience with this code or issue?

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

Torque converter, had the same code on a '03 5 series BMW. Didn't cost $2K though, shop around.

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Touring
Previous HONDA products:
'08 Acura TL
'09 Pilot EXL RES
'05 Pilot EXL RES
'02 Odyssey EX
'96 Accord EX wagon
'92 Accord EX coupe
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Clermont, FL

from what i have experenced with my CG2 after just starting it, is that when i shift it into reverse there is a small delay before the gear is engaged, maybe the "delay" is the neutral effect ur taking about?

1999 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6
Taffeta White
J30a1
250,000 Miles on original Engine, Transmission, and Body
Retro Fit from 1997 Infinity j30 with led everthing, turn signals, fogs, parking lights, headlights
OEM Rear Wing from 2000 Accord Coupe
Heated Mirrors and Switch from 2002 Acura Tl
OEM 2004 Acura TL Rims
OEM ACCORD Carpets from 1999 Accord coupe
Lowering Springs: Tein 2" fronts, D2 Racing 1.8" rears
Drilled/Slotted Rotors

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Out of Control

The P0740 code is detected when TCM detects an improper voltage drop when it tries to operate the solenoid valve. The Solenoid is what engages the lock up clutch on the torque converter. The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter.

Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.

So most likely you have a bad solenoid, but I would first look at the condition of the fluid, if it is not red or pink but brown or black you have waited too long to change the fluid. Most likely the screen to the lockup solenoid is clogged and the filters on the inside of the transmission are clogged with friction material so it will need a rebuilt.

FYI a rebuild kit is about $200 so there is a lot of labor involved.

I would get several quotes, as this transmission is a popular one and you can probably do better than 2k

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #5 of 8 Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I am definitely planning on shopping around more before I just fork out 2k, just because I know how some shops can be. Normally I fix things myself on my cars but haven't had to mess with the transmissions too much on them so I am trying to do my research on this beforehand. I was talking to someone over the weekend and they mentioned trying to just replace the solenoids and seeing if that would take care of the problem. I last checked the fluid when the light first came on last fall and it was still red in color and clean looking. I will check again tonight and let you know what it looks like though.

And there isn't really a "delay" because it doesn't eventually slip into gear unless i shift out of reverse into another gear and then shift back again and then it is fine and acts like nothing happened.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Out of Control

The reverse issue sounds like a sticky reverse clutch pressure control valve. You could try a product like Trans-x or Lubegard and see if that helps. This sounds like clutch material clogging up the transmission to me but the fluid condition will tell the story.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #7 of 8 Old 06-15-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So I checked the fluid this evening and it was still a reddish color and did not smell burnt or anything and was clean.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

So just to give an update, during the holiday weekend I replaced the Transmission Lock Up solenoid on the tranny since thankfully it was right up front where I could get to it easily. So far so good from when I have been driving it. Fingers crossed that it solves the problem
Advertisement

Tags
p0740

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.