Question about struts/shocks. Can I just replace struts or do I need "QUICK" struts? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Question about struts/shocks. Can I just replace struts or do I need "QUICK" struts?

Hi,

I visited a mech the other day for another job and asked for a free inspection and he said I could change the shocks if I wanted a smoother ride and quieter ride (tires are very loud, but they were loud to begin with as per many reviews). As far as I know they are still stock struts and have never been changed for 132,650 miles. He recommended "quick" struts and said he would charge me $100 less if they were quick.

My question is, do I have to buy quick struts or can I just buy the 4 struts alone and reuse the old parts, i.e. OEM mount/coil spring/etc.? It would save me a lot of money. Currently I can pick up 4 KYB GR-2 / Excel-G front/rear struts for $200 in. Quick struts are close to $400-$500. Please advise.

Car: 2000 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-29-2015, 03:01 PM

The GR-2 are an excellent alternative to OEM replacement and also have a bit of "sportiness" to them. Many people, myself included, have gone over to these when swapping the springs over from OEM to Eibach ProKit springs without issue.

Basically, get the GR-2 / Excel-G (same struts, different name).

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
post #3 of 9 Old 04-29-2015, 05:29 PM
5th Gear

Well - are you doing the work yourself? The reason I ask is pretty simple....

IF you are paying mechanic for their labor by the hour, they will charge you more (as it takes longer) to replace JUST the struts vs quick struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
The GR-2 are an excellent alternative to OEM replacement and also have a bit of "sportiness" to them. Many people, myself included, have gone over to these when swapping the springs over from OEM to Eibach ProKit springs without issue.

So you swapped to KYB struts when you did the springs, or later down the road?

Reason I ask - I can get KYB struts for about $300, spring would be another $240 or so.

For close to the same price I can do adjustable coilovers..

post #4 of 9 Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post

I am set on buying them. Do I need to buy 4 new coil springs too or can I pretty much reuse all my stock OEM parts minus the struts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
Well - are you doing the work yourself? The reason I ask is pretty simple....

IF you are paying mechanic for their labor by the hour, they will charge you more (as it takes longer) to replace JUST the struts vs quick struts.
Yes, one mechanic is charging $240 for quick struts, $340 for normal struts (more work like you said), $80 for wheel alignment. Another is charging $240 for quick struts OR normal struts, and $80 for wheel alignment so I guess I will be going to mechanic #2.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
So you swapped to KYB struts when you did the springs, or later down the road?

Reason I ask - I can get KYB struts for about $300, spring would be another $240 or so.

For close to the same price I can do adjustable coilovers..
I did Eibach springs, F/R sway bars, and struts at the same time. All of it was installed at a shop and I paid $900 out the door for everything. I thought it was a good deal at the time, and it might still be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
I am set on buying them. Do I need to buy 4 new coil springs too or can I pretty much reuse all my stock OEM parts minus the struts??
You can replace just the struts and not the springs if that's what you want to do.

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2015, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

I bought fully loaded struts and replaced all four on my V6 with Strut Plus units from KYB. Monroe is the only other option, which they call QuickStrut. The funny thing is KYB only sells a front unit for the 4cyl, while Monroe claims it works fine in either car. The rears are the identical all around.

Now, I can tell you from experience you will not want to put the Strut Plus or QuickStrut in your front end! It will fit fine and feel OK at first but the springs are just not up to the task. The front will be slightly too low and the feel will be Jell-o'y over uneven roads with excessive roll in corners. The rears handle completely fine.

I was really surprised. But apparently 250 lbs in the v6 makes a huge difference in what sort of spring rate you need in the front.

Replacing springs: I think looking at your car on a flat ground will help you asses the need. Most 6th gen Accord sedan and coupe seem to have a saggy rear if they are on their original suspension. I would suggest replacing the rear with KYB Strut Plus, it's cheap and easy. The front you should replace the strut only if you are on a budget.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n750il View Post
I bought fully loaded struts and replaced all four on my V6 with Strut Plus units from KYB. Monroe is the only other option, which they call QuickStrut. The funny thing is KYB only sells a front unit for the 4cyl, while Monroe claims it works fine in either car. The rears are the identical all around.

Now, I can tell you from experience you will not want to put the Strut Plus or QuickStrut in your front end! It will fit fine and feel OK at first but the springs are just not up to the task. The front will be slightly too low and the feel will be Jell-o'y over uneven roads with excessive roll in corners. The rears handle completely fine.

I was really surprised. But apparently 250 lbs in the v6 makes a huge difference in what sort of spring rate you need in the front.

Replacing springs: I think looking at your car on a flat ground will help you asses the need. Most 6th gen Accord sedan and coupe seem to have a saggy rear if they are on their original suspension. I would suggest replacing the rear with KYB Strut Plus, it's cheap and easy. The front you should replace the strut only if you are on a budget.
If I were to put the KYB strut plus in the rear, what would you suggest for the front?

OEM? Or kyb strut and reuse the old OEM spring?

CBP 2006 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav
168k~
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2015, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

Just put KYB up front. It is cheap, slightly firm. Close to stock height. You get all new parts. I was just saying if you have a V6 you have to be creative as no one makes preloaded struts for the 6th Gen V6

I notice a lot of Accords running around with bad springs (which i can only assume are original) so I would suggest replacing all those at the same time. The cost is mainly labor.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-10-2015 at 08:01 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I need to do the sway bars in my '99 I4. Like really bad. They're squeaky AF and it's embarrassing, lol. Dad was talking about doing quick struts a little while ago.

I would just go with quick struts but since you have a V6 and if what n750il says is true then I wouldn't put them up front. But I do agree, if you're not doing them yourself you'll be better off with quick struts, as far as labor costs go, since they take less time to install. That's why they call them "quick"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.