Need Help Removing PS Belt and Serpentine Tensioner - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Need Help Removing PS Belt and Serpentine Tensioner

I'm in need of replacing my serpentine belt, serpentine belt tensioner, and power steering belts, and for good measure, replace the idler pulley as well. However, after searching this forum, 6GA, and a whole slew of YouTube videos, I've not been able to find anything truly relevant. Most of what I find is how to loosen the serpentine belt but not how to remove the tensioner. I know what to do in regards to removing the tensioner, but my question is more of, "How do I get to it?". Some of the things I've read say that there are 3x 10mm bolts, and others say there's 2x 10mm bolts and 1x 8mm bolt through the middle. Which is it so I know what to expect when I get there?

The other one I'm curious to know about is how to replace the power steering belt. I imagine I have to remove the motor mount? Same as with the tensioner, no videos or anything on how to actually do it.

Other minor things I'll be replacing are hood struts and the power steering O-Rings. I also intend on washing off as much grease and grime as possible that's built up in the engine compartment .

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

I replaced the tension on the 01 accord I had. I recall two 10mm bolts and 8mm center bolts.

I found it was the best approach was to jack up the passenger side, take the tire off and work from below. The uni-body structure is very close to the 8mm bolt, to it was a pain...at least in the cold for me.

You may need to use the 10mm 1/4" socket due to not much room for a 3/8 socket body and the tensioner body.

Never did the ps belt.

I did replace the top O-ring on my 98 power steering as it had a slight weep. Pretty straight forward for that one.

1998 Accord EX V6 - 3.0L - sold
2001 Accord EX V6 - 3.0L - 191K miles, gave to brother in-law (still going)
post #3 of 19 Old 01-25-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the tensioner! Hopefully I can manage to replace it without much hassle.

I'll keep looking around to find a way to replace the PS belt. And those o-rings, I'm fairly confident the top one is still in decent shape from when I replaced it last time, but the bottom was never replaced. I'm thinking of replacing both now just for added measure. And, the reason why is because there is a lot of fluid leaking from my passenger side and I know how common it is for the PS system to leak. For all I know though, the PS pump may have bad seals / gaskets.

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

post #4 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 AM
4th Gear

RE: Power steering pump leak, PS belt replacement, etc:

RE: Power steering pump leak, PS belt replacement, etc:

I just fixed my power steering pump leak a few days ago and replaced my 60,000 mile ps belt along the way. I have a '98 4 cylinder, however, so I imagine mine was much easier to work with than your V6, which appears to be very cramped. I did not have to take off my engine mount, but I'm just not familiar with your engine orientation. On mine it was fairly easy to remove and dismantle my pump and replace the belt.

Re the leak, are you sure you don't have a leak from the back cover of the pump (where the four bolts are) like I did? My fluid was constantly dripping down the pump and onto the alternator and down the engine block. The leak was from the circumference of this "back" cover, I discovered after many wipe-downs. I had already replaced the high pressure hose o-ring last year but that was never the problem. I dismantled the pump and replaced three internal pump seals and no more leaks the past few days. The new belt made the power steering stronger and quieter, too, it seemed.

Sorry, we have different cars and can't help further. But you ought to look into your ordering and replacing some internal seals for the back side of the pump (opposing pulley side). They are inexpensive. The parts, total of $7+ $500 shipping , you may need for your V6 are:

1. 91349-P2A-003 power steering pump "back cover seal" (main culprit of leak)
2. 91347-PAA-A01 (16.7X1.8mm o-ring)
3. 91348-P2A-003 (51X2.4 o-ring)

My back cover seal, #1, was flattened and hard--no wonder the pump was leaking from there; #2 was firm, too; #3 was getting firmer and due for replacement.

I just searched auto parts sites ("engine/ps pump bracket") for a "2000 V6" based on what you provided so double check if you decide to order.

I plan to post a new thread sometime next with several pictures of my repair job on the power steering pump leak...but here is just one photo of the back cover seal that was kuputz:
Attached Images
post #5 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

There's an excellent video on YouTube showing how to replace all the gaskets and seals for the J30 engine, and I might give that a go if I still have issues later. And yea, it's something like $20 for all the seals.

And this is the best picture I could find of the power steering belt. It's hard to tell, but you can see that the motor mount is sitting on the inside of the power steering belt. So, that's kind of why I'm curious to know if the motor mount has to come off or not. I imagine it does, but I'm not sure.

post #6 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

If the belt wraps around the motor mount, then yes the motor mount will have to come out first.

I still chuckle when I think about the time years ago when I mentioned to a very knowledgeable "car-guy" buddy that I have to remove one motor mount to change the timing belt on my Integra, he said "just cut the old belt", then turned beet red when I pointed out to him "Uh, genies, how do I put the new belt back on? Cut it first too?".
CDsDontBurn likes this.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 AM
4th Gear

I had posted the same youtube link cited above on one of my earlier threads even though it was for a V6. It was definitely my source of inspiration in doing my three internal seals! He bought the seal kit but only used and replaced three seals I bought separately. There is another great video out there that shows you how to do all the seals but it seemed like a lot of work and I'm not sure it's needed unless you got leaking from the pulley side of the pump. Great engine photo. Your engine is similar to my daughter's 2003 V6. I just looked in her manual and as Aviography said, the engine mount has to be pulled. . My daughter's car is showing some signs of leaking so I will look forward to your progress posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
If the belt wraps around the motor mount, then yes the motor mount will have to come out first.

I still chuckle when I think about the time years ago when I mentioned to a very knowledgeable "car-guy" buddy that I have to remove one motor mount to change the timing belt on my Integra, he said "just cut the old belt", then turned beet red when I pointed out to him "Uh, genies, how do I put the new belt back on? Cut it first too?".
Yea, I was hoping to avoid that. Now I'm hoping that with as many miles as my car has, 259k, that my motor mount is still in decent shape. It *may* have been changed the last time the timing belt was done, but I don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
I had posted the same youtube link cited above on one of my earlier threads even though it was for a V6. It was definitely my source of inspiration in doing my three internal seals! He bought the seal kit but only used and replaced three seals I bought separately. There is another great video out there that shows you how to do all the seals but it seemed like a lot of work and I'm not sure it's needed unless you got leaking from the pulley side of the pump. Great engine photo. Your engine is similar to my daughter's 2003 V6. I just looked in her manual and as Aviography said, the engine mount has to be pulled. . My daughter's car is showing some signs of leaking so I will look forward to your progress posts.
The v6 engine in the 7th gen Accord is essentially the same engine as the 6th gen. There are just performance optimizations between the J30A4 (7th gen v6) and the J30A1 (6th gen v6). Otherwise, they're the same engine. So if you did this already to your daughter's 7th gen v6, then you've already done this .

post #9 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 10:00 AM
4th Gear

Oops. Sorry about the confusion...

A few days ago I just completed the power steering pump re-seal on my '98 4 cyl with 172,000 miles. My daughter's '03 V6 with 130,000 miles is showing signs of leaking similar to mine. A couple of years ago I replaced the high pressure o-ring on her V6 that was causing more whining than my ex-wife in divorce court. It's been quiet ever since, the pump whining, not my ex-wife. Now after reading your posts, I may be interested in pulling her pump and doing the seals as I did on my car. I am not looking forward to doing the work in such a cramped area of the V6, however! It will be so interesting how you approach it as I'll be probably be inspired by your work. And of course I'm interested on how you deal with your serpentine belt and tensioner issue, too! Thanks for posting.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification. I thought you had had done this to your daughters 7th Gen v6, but it seems that I had confused it and it was actually your 6th gen i4 that you've replaced all the seals for!

If impending life changes aren't occurring this weekend (wife is due any day now), I hope to tackle this project this weekend.

post #11 of 19 Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Oops. Sorry about the confusion...

A few days ago I just completed the power steering pump re-seal on my '98 4 cyl with 172,000 miles. My daughter's '03 V6 with 130,000 miles is showing signs of leaking similar to mine. A couple of years ago I replaced the high pressure o-ring on her V6 that was causing more whining than my ex-wife in divorce court. It's been quiet ever since, the pump whining, not my ex-wife. Now after reading your posts, I may be interested in pulling her pump and doing the seals as I did on my car. I am not looking forward to doing the work in such a cramped area of the V6, however! It will be so interesting how you approach it as I'll be probably be inspired by your work. And of course I'm interested on how you deal with your serpentine belt and tensioner issue, too! Thanks for posting.
I've still been searching the interwebs on how to remove or loosen the PS pulley for my J30A1, and I've come across an Odyssey J35 and a 7th gen J30A4, and your daughter's 7th gen seems to have just one belt for everything! Someone even did a writeup for it here on DA a few years ago. Check it out! So, it looks like you'll be having a MUCH easier time than me on this!

As for me, all I have is additional confirmation that the one motor mount will have to come off.

post #12 of 19 Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
I've still been searching the interwebs on how to remove or loosen the PS pulley for my J30A1, and I've come across an Odyssey J35 and a 7th gen J30A4, and your daughter's 7th gen seems to have just one belt for everything! Someone even did a writeup for it here on DA a few years ago. Check it out! So, it looks like you'll be having a MUCH easier time than me on this!

As for me, all I have is confirmation that the one motor mount will have to come off.
Most importantly: Best of luck on your new child!!!!!!! That is so exciting. I still recall the great feelings from a few decades ago. 'Hope everything goes well for you.

That is a great link re my daughter's '03 V6 ps pump. I rarely get to see my daughter and her car, but I will definitely have to take a better peek next time. I'm always working on her car but never paid attention to the power steering pump/belt orientation. I hope I have the confidence to tackle it. I'm still following your lead.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, I wasn't able to do this the weekend before like I wanted to since baby related stuff came up. Now, that baby is here, I can't seem to get away from doing daddy type stuff. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I can though...

post #14 of 19 Old 12-08-2015, 11:26 AM
My First Post

Angry Update

Thanks for the udate, taking the time to write all the questions having everyone answer then sprinting out without the update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Well, I wasn't able to do this the weekend before like I wanted to since baby related stuff came up. Now, that baby is here, I can't seem to get away from doing daddy type stuff. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I can though...
post #15 of 19 Old 12-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthesavage View Post
Thanks for the udate, taking the time to write all the questions having everyone answer then sprinting out without the update.
Pretty snide first post, surely you know how to be polite when asking a question.

Got up the wrong side of the bed this morning?

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

The Following User Says Thank You to Aviography For This Useful Post:
Smurf (12-08-2015)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.