Power steering pump leak...replace or redo o-rings and seals? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Power steering pump leak...replace or redo o-rings and seals?

So I noticed that I had a leak somewhere on my power steering pump. I tried cleaning it up as much as I could but power steering fluid is hard to clean. Anyways, I had my wife start the car and turn the wheel for me. It started immediately leaking from the outlet hose (red arrow). I turn the car off, clean everything up. Undo outlet hose make sure everything looks ok. I tightened it back on. Start it up and try again. This time no leaks from the outlet hose. I turn the car off and slowly from the power steering pump cover(green arrow), a leak formed.

I'm wondering if its worth it to try and redo the seals and o rings in the pump to see if it works. I read some things online where it seemed to work for some people. At the same time, many are just saying to get a new one. Anyone have some experience on the job of redoing the seals and o-rings? Is it difficult or worth it?

Also, I got some powersteering fluid on my belts? Someone said to use brake system cleaner. Is that ok for the belts?

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM
txn
3rd Gear

My 99 Accord had a leak where you had the green arrow.
I took it to a repair show for an overhaul.
The shop used a power steering pump seal kit.

First time I picked up the car from the shop, the PS made shrieking noise when turning.
I left the car at the shop for a do-over.
I picked up the car the next day and the PS was quiet.
Apparently the tech put the seal "backward" on the first attempt.

The PS has been leak-free for 2 years.

2015 Accord EX 4-door, I-4
1999 Accord LX 4-dr, I-4 ( Sold )
post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by txn View Post
My 99 Accord had a leak where you had the green arrow.
I took it to a repair show for an overhaul.
The shop used a power steering pump seal kit.

First time I picked up the car from the shop, the PS made shrieking noise when turning.
I left the car at the shop for a do-over.
I picked up the car the next day and the PS was quiet.
Apparently the tech put the seal "backward" on the first attempt.

The PS has been leak-free for 2 years.
Hmm....do you remember around how much you paid? I'm thinking this may be a job for someone with more experience.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM

I had the same problem with my Accord. I took care of it when I finally decided that adding 1qt of PS fluid a week was too much money being lost on PS fluid, lol.

Anyways, my pump was leaking from the two places yours is currently leaking from. I replaced both and it stopped leaking for the longest time. Recently though, it's developed a small leak from somewhere else in the PS system. Probably another gasket somewhere just like last time though.

Oh, and the O-Ring kit I bought was something like $5. All in all, I think I spent about $15 between new PS fluid and the gasket kit to get it all fixed.

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
post #5 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
txn
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinksprite View Post
Hmm....do you remember around how much you paid? I'm thinking this may be a job for someone with more experience.
I believed it was somewhere between $120 and $150.

2015 Accord EX 4-door, I-4
1999 Accord LX 4-dr, I-4 ( Sold )
post #6 of 10 Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM
AC6DN

Mine very slightly leaks on the seam where your green arrow is. I wipe it down, every few months. It been this way for years.

Bruce - AC6DN:
Honda Accord, 2001, 2.3L (L4), F23A4, 4D EX - My main car
Ford Taurus, 1992, 3.8L V6, - Trany prob's
Toyota 4x4 Extra Cab Truck, 2.4L SR5, 22RTE (Turbo) 1987, I still have.
Honda Accord, 1984, 1800cc? L4,
Plymouth Arrow, 1978?, 1800cc?, L4 (POS)
Chevy, Monza, 1976, 350cu, V8, My funnest car, think muscle car, poorly made...
Olds Starfire? 1975, 231cu odd fire, V6,
My first car, 1965 Chevy Impala 283cu V8, (I got during the mid 1980)
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hawkins View Post
Mine very slightly leaks on the seam where your green arrow is. I wipe it down, every few months. It been this way for years.
After tightening down the bolts to the outlet hose, it seems I only have a small leak at the pump cover (green arrow) now.It doesn't seem to be as bad as before so I'll just let it be for now.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

Instead of tightening down the bolts to the "red" high pressure outlet hose, you should get an o-ring from the dealer (.79 cents), lube it with steering pump fluid oil, and install. Chances are this o-ring is either old, not pliable or even brittle, flattened or combination of all of this, and not sealing properly. My daughter's 2001 Accord developed a squeal (sucking in air) due to a deteriorating o-ring and I was able to fix it in this manner.

The "green arrow" leak is more problematic. I have had an identical issue for years and suspect failing internal seals as someone mentioned. For now I do a good wipe down every year and add a couple of tablespoons of fluid. So far this has worked for me for the last eight years. If your fluid is leaking a lot you should be aware it is corrosive and may start chewing away things it contacts.

Great picture by the way!

1998 Honda Accord EX 2.3L 4cyl 168,000 miles
post #9 of 10 Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 AM
1st Gear

There is a very well done video on replacing the o-rings and seal here:

It's for a 94-97 Accord, but your ps pump is similar.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 PM
4th Gear

I found this video, though it's for a 2000 Accord V6, we can apply it to our situation:

In this video, he had the leak in the same spot (your "green arrow") and didn't remove the pressed seals on the pulley side--he just removed the four bolts on the opposite side and replaced all applicable seals there. Maybe that's all we need. The kit, he said, wasn't that much--$13. I was thinking of doing this myself. This would be much easier on our 6G Honda. I was thinking I may not even have to remove the entire pump off, just take the four bolts off and replace the seals from there. Anyone know if I can do it without having to take the pump off?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.