Has anyone else NOT fixed their VTC Actuator problems? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Exclamation Has anyone else NOT fixed their VTC Actuator problems?

I recently heard it one morning after I turned on my car and it lasted about 2 seconds. Now im sure its this because it sounds exactly like the videos/sound clips Ive heard.

Now im going to do the following, gather as many videos and sound clips of evidence that my car is making the sound after being off for more than 12 hours, so when I have to go to the dealer I can show them.

Now Ive read the TSB regarding this piece but I cant find the direct link to it, is it something I should print out and take with me when I go to the dealer?

And is there anything in particular I should mention or ask to speak with when I call Honda Corporate? I have no warranty since I bought my car at Carmax, and I did not get the carmax warranty either, so I have to call Honda and play hard ball now :

Thanks for your help, and I started a new thread since there can possibly be newer solutions to this. The other threads are quite old.

Thanks again for any help

2008 Accord Coupe LX-S
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
4th Gear

Tell them TSB 09-010. They will look it up, you don't need to bring anything in. Old posts or not, it's the same thing. My VTC actuator was replaced 2 months ago and I've written about it somewhat extensively in those other posts including how I got mine fixed for free out of warranty: Engine - Rattles On Cold Start-Up

2008 EX-L Coupe 2.4 ASM
post #3 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrillOG View Post
. . . I have no warranty since I bought my car at Carmax, and I did not get the carmax warranty either, so I have to call Honda and play hard ball now : . . .
FWIW, you need to be realistic here. You bought a five-year old car, you didn't buy it from a Honda dealer, and you (apparently) chose not to buy a warranty from anyone. Under the circumstances, your plan to "play hard ball" with a Honda dealer with whom you have no existing financial relationship seems, well, naive.
slimm1469 likes this.

post #4 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 AM
4th Gear

That's true. I bought mine new from the dealership, who did all the service on it for the last 5 years minus tires. That factor probably helped me.

2008 EX-L Coupe 2.4 ASM
post #5 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I've bought brand new Hondas which have had go go back go dealer because problems arose. So I do have a history with them, but in THIS particular purchase, I did not get a warranty, seeing how Hondas are "reliable and efficient cars". So I will call either way, at least they have acknowledge that a problem exist.

Whether I got a warranty or not, it's a problem that they have already acknowledged as being faulty on their end. With this being said, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't fix it.

Unnecessary opinion too, I'm just trying to get the problem fixed

2008 Accord Coupe LX-S

Last edited by SatinSilver; 04-09-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts; please use the edit feature.
post #6 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Talk to the service mgr when you call the dealer. Since the advisors are mostly interested in upselling you. If theres nothing to upsell then many times they will try to dismiss your complaints.
post #7 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd View Post
Tell them TSB 09-010. They will look it up, you don't need to bring anything in. Old posts or not, it's the same thing. My VTC actuator was replaced 2 months ago and I've written about it somewhat extensively in those other posts including how I got mine fixed for free out of warranty: Engine - Rattles On Cold Start-Up
I;ve been reading about this issue and it seems only 08-09 Accords are affected. That said, when it is really cold out side (below 30) and I start my car, occasionally I also hear a rattle for about 1-2 seconds. My car is a 2012 SE Sedan. Is it possible my VTC is going bad as well?

-2012 Honda Accord SE Sedan (His)
-2011 Acura TSX Sedan (Hers)
-1997 Honda Accord LX Wagon (Backup car)
-2002 Honda RVT1000R Superbike (Weekend Toy)
post #8 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordRVT View Post
I;ve been reading about this issue and it seems only 08-09 Accords are affected. That said, when it is really cold out side (below 30) and I start my car, occasionally I also hear a rattle for about 1-2 seconds. My car is a 2012 SE Sedan. Is it possible my VTC is going bad as well?
Have you listened to the YouTube videos of people with a faulty VTC? I can't say for sure that if your rattle is similar to video below, if it is the VTC for sure but it probably is.

Where do you live?

2008 i4 5MT EX-L Polished Metal Metallic
46,xxx miles
post #9 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear

Sound similar. But this only happens on occasion, and I've only heard it in sub 30 degree weather.

What I can tell you is if I start driving the car right away without letting it idle first I will on occasion hear the same noise at around 3500rpm for a split second before the car upshifts. After that its gone for good until the next time I start the car in super cold weather.

Honestly, it sounds as if there isn't enough oil getting to the valves. I could be wrong though. Im located upstate NY (Albany), but travel btwn here & NYC frequently.

-2012 Honda Accord SE Sedan (His)
-2011 Acura TSX Sedan (Hers)
-1997 Honda Accord LX Wagon (Backup car)
-2002 Honda RVT1000R Superbike (Weekend Toy)
post #10 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by divergentdan View Post
Have you listened to the YouTube videos of people with a faulty VTC? I can't say for sure that if your rattle is similar to video below, if it is the VTC for sure but it probably is.

Where do you live?
Mine does the same exact sound and for the same exact length after I turn it on on cold mornings...

But if I hold the ignition for a little longer I dont hear it

2008 Accord Coupe LX-S
post #11 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear

I have the V6 model. It doesn't make that sound, but it makes this sound. It's a known problem on the V6 models. I don't know what it is. I think it might be the starter.

2008 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
post #12 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_379 View Post
I have the V6 model. It doesn't make that sound, but it makes this sound. It's a known problem on the V6 models. I don't know what it is. I think it might be the starter.
That train whistle sound?

2008 EX-L Coupe 2.4 ASM
post #13 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
5th Gear

Beware!!
Sudden Engine DEATH has been reported due to VTC actuator failure!
post #14 of 47 Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattmann View Post
Beware!!
Sudden Engine DEATH has been reported due to VTC actuator failure!
Post a citation or backstory please. It's a little reckless to go around saying that without an explanation.

2008 i4 5MT EX-L Polished Metal Metallic
46,xxx miles
post #15 of 47 Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
6th Gear

Anyone know if 2011 I4's are affected by vaulty VTC actuators?

Seems like if ignored, they could lead to engine problems down the road.

Already put it on my to do list to check this weekend. Women don't bother verifying these things ... Sigh...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.