Has anyone else NOT fixed their VTC Actuator problems? - Page 4 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #46 of 47 Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

I got 2014 Accord L4 touring model. I posted last year regarding Cold Start Grinding Noice. I went to dealer and they told me it's VTC Actuator problem and they replaced with no cost. Next day itself it started again and sound worse. Went back to dealer and they told starter problem and changed that but no use. I searched everything regarding this issue and went to the dealer and told them about the recall. They told they can replace with new VTC Actuator. They replaced and they told me I will hear the sound again and don't come back and enjoy driving by making more miles in car. Finally had bad conversations between the dealer. Till now I can hear the sound and I posted one video in YouTube as 2014 Honda Accord Cold Start. Nobody is noticing this issue. My friend has two 2014 Accord one V6 and L4 now she noticed and she is also having that trouble. All Honda Accord is having this trouble. Everyone says Honda is good for engine. It's not a good thing to say like that now because not a single guy having this trouble. When I talked with manager in Honda dealership he told me it's normal and his car is having same issue. I am planning to some news in any auto magazine as my friend told me. We all paid plenty of money and happened really bad. Anyone have any suggestions.

Advertisement

post #47 of 47 Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 PM
5th Gear

I posted this earlier and this a cut and past of my past sad experiences with Honda and its dealerships

Hello all,
VTC needs to be replaced ASAP if rattling is heard.
You also MUST also replace tensioner and VTC oil control solenoid

R5A part(s) id is for new resign for this problem on all k24 motors.

New R5A solenoid has been redesigned to prevent the oil from draining out of the new (R5A) VTC actuator when the engine is turned off. Therefore, at start up there is a lock pin in Lock Position inside the actuator as well as engine oil to prevent any future wear and damage to the lock pin.

If you take a chance and continue to drive with the rattle problem, then the timing chain will become Stretched, Plastic Chain Guides will crack, and tensioner will give out.

I lost my new car engine on 2008 Accord ExLnavi due to intake valve that broke from its keeper because of the excessive vibrations caused by the faulty VTC and Honda at that time was not able to duplicate the symptoms.

I was given factory new 2011 version K24Z3 at 50Kmiles under warranty.
This engine also developed same VTC issues and Honda failed to help me out.

So I changed the components myself all 3 parts
VTC Actuator +
VTC oil control Solenoid +
Chain Tensioner
but also, VTC mesh

It is important to replace all 3 redesign R5A VTC related components as listed above!!

I did not remove the chain cover and everything easy to time with cylinder #1 in TDC. Everything has timing marks on them,
e.g. chain has golden color for the cam mark (s) at TDC (Top Dead Center)
Hope this helps

Remember, when your chain comes off for whatever reason and your engine then will become junk as it is an interference engine by design, then you will needing a new Head and pistons ($4-5K)

you cannot prove that Honda did not issue a safety recall to fix the issue.
Because usually VTC related issue will only be at start up and not really when the engine is running....therefore not a safety concern.

A recall is only for safety concern!
Do it sooner than not having a drivable car
Now you can't say
No-one told you so
Good Luck and Fix it.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.