Has anyone else NOT fixed their VTC Actuator problems? - Page 3 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #31 of 47 Old 07-14-2017, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pindiwalAccord View Post
2008 Accord EX with 114K miles. The VTC grinding is there for 1.5 seconds at almost every start in summer or winter. I haven't fixed it and not planning to either.
My 08 Accord EX has 54k miles and no VTC noise. Then again, I'm in Southern California where it's hot right now and it never falls below 35 degrees in the winter where I live.

Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 07-14-2017, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear

54K for a 2008 Accord, that's almost new. Winter or not, my VTC grinds almost every time I start. Happens to 1.5 secs only but happens every time. I dont know if I need to get it fixed.

The fuel pump has got nothing to do with the VTC grinding noise. No matter how many times I prime the fuel pump, the VTC grinding never fails to speak.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 07-19-2017 at 07:51 AM.
post #33 of 47 Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 AM

just got mine fixed on friday. paid $955 parts + labor. i dont hear the grinding noise anymore and its been 9 starts since i picked it up from the dealer

Quote:
54K for a 2008 Accord, that's almost new. Winter or not, my VTC grinds almost every time I start. Happens to 1.5 secs only but happens every time. I dont know if I need to get it fixed.
on my accord, it was always less than a second for the grinding noise and didnt happpen all the time. i suggest you get yours fixed. theres a 150k mile warranty on the vtc actuator replacement which sadly did not apply to me because i am at 180k+ miles.

- John 12:49a
The Following User Says Thank You to Daythread831 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (07-25-2017)

post #34 of 47 Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear

Where did you find the 150,000 mile warranty on the VTC actuator?? If that's the case I want to get it fixed.
97trophy likes this.
post #35 of 47 Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Where did you find the 150,000 mile warranty on the VTC actuator?? If that's the case I want to get it fixed.
the service advisor told me when i dropped off my car.

post #36 of 47 Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daythread831 View Post
the service advisor told me when i dropped off my car.
I believe there's no recall on this, hence its not covered.
post #37 of 47 Old 07-19-2017, 03:13 PM
pessimistic optimist

I believe he is saying that the repaired actuator is covered for 150K miles. If that is the case it is the first time I have heard of it. I wouldn't believe it to be true unless the service dept. manager was willing to provide the information on dealership letterhead. You absolutely should get your actuator replaced with the new (R5A) part number. The consequences of NOT getting the repairs done are catastrophic and have been documented here in the past.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
The Following User Says Thank You to boring 08 EX For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (07-25-2017)
post #38 of 47 Old 07-23-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
I believe there's no recall on this, hence its not covered.
he did not go into details about this because my car was beyond 150k miles. but the way he said it, seemed like a discount on the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
I believe he is saying that the repaired actuator is covered for 150K miles. If that is the case it is the first time I have heard of it. I wouldn't believe it to be true unless the service dept. manager was willing to provide the information on dealership letterhead. You absolutely should get your actuator replaced with the new (R5A) part number. The consequences of NOT getting the repairs done are catastrophic and have been documented here in the past.
thats what scared the hell out of me and got me moving to get this fixed!

post #39 of 47 Old 07-24-2017, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
What are the castrophic consequences? I don't think anything is going to happen from this 1 second actuator grinding. The entire engine is going through wear n tear at fresh starts until the engine oil lubricates it. Change oil between 3,000 - 5,000 (regular oil or synthetic) and it would be alright. I'm going to take this 2008 honda accord engine from 113,000 to 200,000 with the grinding and regular oil changes. Try Lucas Oil (heavy honeylike stuff) and it leaves an oil film and the grinding will go away. The grinding will come back when the Lucas wears off.
post #40 of 47 Old 07-24-2017, 05:46 PM
pessimistic optimist

Tell you what chief, you go right ahead and let her grind for a second until your timing chain tensioner fails. Do you even know what the VTC does, or how it does it? If you did, you wouldn't be questioning why letting it grind is a bad idea. There are a multitude of resources available for you to educate yourself, avail yourself of them as soon as possible.

Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boring 08 EX For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (07-25-2017), turtleh (09-28-2017)
post #41 of 47 Old 07-25-2017, 02:50 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Tell you what chief, you go right ahead and let her grind for a second until your timing chain tensioner fails. Do you even know what the VTC does, or how it does it? If you did, you wouldn't be questioning why letting it grind is a bad idea. There are a multitude of resources available for you to educate yourself, avail yourself of them as soon as possible.
You still didn't say what are the caatrophic consequences CHIEF.
post #42 of 47 Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 AM
pessimistic optimist

Did you read the post? What happens when a timing chain tensioner fails? Google it, then get back to me. If you choose not to replace the actuator that is your decision to make, but please, make an INFORMED decision, rather than acting out of ignorance of what the problem is. The real trouble with the VTC failure is that it does take a significant amount of time to do irreparable harm to your engine, but that doesn't change the fact that harm IS BEING DONE. You wouldn't drive your car with only three quarts of oil in it on purpose, correct? Why is that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boring 08 EX For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (07-25-2017), turtleh (09-28-2017)
post #43 of 47 Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 AM
2nd Gear

I will NOT get back to you O WISE ONE. Don't you worry about my actuator or 3 quarts of oil. Good luck to you.
post #44 of 47 Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM
pessimistic optimist

Please do let us know when you get to 200 thousand trouble free miles, i believe it is you who will be needing luck.

post #45 of 47 Old 07-25-2017, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Please do let us know when you get to 200 thousand trouble free miles, i believe it is you who will be needing luck.
Since you make INFORMED DECISIONS and are NOT IGNORANT, you will not néed to be informed O WISE FIXER OF VTC ACTUATOR.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.