Plasti-Dip Failure... Help with Window Trim Please - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Plasti-Dip Failure... Help with Window Trim Please

Morning DA.. So I made my first attempt at plasti-dipping my chrome window trim this past weekend but turned out unsuccessful. When removing the excess dip, it pulled the dip off of the chrome I think because of the rubber seal that goes around the trim piece was "grabbing" the plasti-dip and wouldn't allow it to separate at the joint between the rubber and chrome the way it did between the paint and the rear emblem or the front grille.

Do any of you guys have experience removing and re-installing the chrome window trim on an 8th gen coupe? I'm wondering if I might be better off removing the trim pieces, dipping them and then re-installing.

It was also a failure because my last can of plasti-dip wasn't spraying correctly. It was coming out in blobs instead of a nice steady mist so the last coat came out very textured and didn't look too good.

Was kind of a bitch removing the excess dip off of the rubber pieces around the door and window but I got it all after a couple hours of finger rubbing and a microfiber to remove it.

Any help would be appreciated, if I cant take off the trim without damaging it, I might just try over but really mask all of the rubber pieces a lot better than my first attempt.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeyThumbs For This Useful Post:
Mecua (10-07-2013)
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 AM
4th Gear

Here's another thread of a member with a coupe who just did his.

Plasti-Dip 8th-Gen Accord Coupe

2008 EX-L Coupe 2.4 ASM
post #3 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 AM
6th Gear

It should be neater if you take the trim pieces off to plasti-dip them and then put them back on. I took off the silver trim at the bottom of the windows before, and it's quite easy. (Just secured by screws)
Look through the service manual and there are definitely instructions on there! Good luck!

post #4 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 AM
KH
6th Gear

Mine did the same, and all I was trying to do was the silver "H" on the front and back. After the second failed attempt, and prepping it obsessively, I gave up and said they look good chrome... I think it is due to the "H" emblems being so thin, there just wasn't much to stick to..

~Kevin
'03 NHBP Coupe 6-6, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Borla stainless exhaust, Ingalls Torque Damper, TL-S Swaybars, Neuspeed short shifter, Eibach Pro springs, Wicked Tuning camber arms, '12 Coupe 18s with 235/45/18 tires, OEM Replica Spoiler, LED tails, exLED Interior Lights projector HLs, GTA Car Kit (iPhone and aux)
post #5 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies guys.. I didn't even think to look in the Service Manual

If it is only secured by a few screws, i will probably go that route. I HATE taping things off and this way I can ensure a nice even coat along the entire trim pieces..

Mikeyd, I did exactly that, but for some reason it wasn't peeling off of the rubber pieces very easily, then it would stretch past the seam along the rubber and chrome trim (where I would expect the dip to rip in a nice neat line like it did with my emblems) but for some reason it just kept peeling in 1 piece..

Unfortunately my next 3 weekends are going to be SO busy that I probably wont get around to it for another month, but I will post my finished product when I'm all done.

Thanks again
post #6 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM
2nd Gear

Could you take a razor blade and LIGHTLY score the plastidip along the edge where you plan to peel it off?

Sent from
post #7 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Tried using a razor but the plasti-dips rubbery effect made the blade sort of "jump" as you slide it across.

So I wasted $10 on a can of plasti-dip and a 9x9 plastic tarp.. Hopefully the next attempt goes much smoother. I don't have the patience for a 3rd attempt, so if #2 fails I am just going to stick with the chrome look as much as I hate it..
post #8 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM
5th Gear

Well, if you hate the chrome that much, why bother with dip? Just properly tape it all up, lightly sand with 800 grit and paint it black permanently...the key is in even light coats...then lots of clearcoat layers.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Lol, I was thinking the same thing but I'm scared

Plasti-dip is so FOOLPROOF that even when I mess up, I can just start over.

If I mess up on painting them permanently, I'll be kicking myself in the ass for it..

If I can easily remove the trims without damaging, I might just decide to go with a more permanent option like painting. Have to see how much window trim will cost me first just in case I mess up
post #10 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM
5th Gear

Sometimes guys warm up the can in a bucket of warm water - then shake it 500 times to really mix it up. Do a test spray before the car parts.

2011 Accord Sedan LX 5-spd Alabaster Silver
Acura rear sway bar 17mm upgrade
Keeping it stock hoping to run it 200,000 miles.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Don't know why the 2nd can of dip that I had wound up spraying globs out of it instead of a fine mist.. I followed instructions on the can from the storage instructions all the way to shaking in between sprays during use. Seemed like something may have gotten clogged up in the sprayer tip which wouldn't allow the dip to flow the way its supposed to.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
4th Gear

what kind of wheels are those? what brand? are those 18's?
post #13 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear

Question

Car looks great I wanted to do this but Idk how durable it is and if it would get in the way of
the visors and are those honda oem visors ? They look smaller
post #14 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSPIRED87 View Post

Car looks great I wanted to do this but Idk how durable it is and if it would get in the way of
the visors and are those honda oem visors ? They look smaller
they look like the weathertechs. pretty sure the oem visors actually cover a bit of the chrome where these do not
post #15 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
87th Gear

Plasti-Dip is a product that isn't really expensive. If you didn't mess up your car(its incredibly hard with plasti-dip) just try again. I plan on dipping my chrome wheels soon, and I don't really know how to do it. I'm just gonna buy a lot and try till I get it right. Most of the things we do to our cars have learning curves, some more expensive than others. Plasti-dipping is on the low cost side.

Also, mikeyd914 your Accord is looking good bro.

2002 Volvo S80 2.9L inline 6 120k - Current
2006 V6 6MT EX-L Sedan 120k - Totaled

2000 Celica GT-S AT 47k - Sold
2004 Hyundai Tiburon 5MT 61k - Sold
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.