My First Post
Join Date: Mar 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vehcile : Honda Accord LXP - 2009
Original Windshield : AGC Automotive - DOT 376 M334 AS1 30B LAMISAFE TA5-A0
Insurance : AAA
* Windshield cracked almost 12 - 14 inches
* Honda dealership service center don't do windshield replacement in my area. Called 2 service centers, same response.
* AAA didnt approve for Honda OEM glass since they allow OEM glass replacement for less than 2 years old cars.
* Safelite autoglass quoted OEM total cost : ~1070$
* Many glass manufactures in the market namely PGW(PPG), Pilkington, APTech(AGC), FYG, etc. (Called after market glass).
* Searched multiple forums and found mixed reviews about all manufactures.
* At the end, I guess all companies should have passed national safety metric in US.
* Spoke to 3 glass service companies about Price, Brand of Glass, Type of Glass, Installation Date.
* All of them told that Honda accord cant have PGW SoundMaster or Acoustic windshield. Acoustic glasses can be installed only if vehicle is manufactured to have this feature. (ie. Acura)
* Finally chosen PGW (Dotted Matrix - No Tint)
* Technician installed at my business place : PGW SolarGreen Laminated AS1 DOT 904 M413
* Total cost : ~340$
* Drove the vehicle after 8 hours, so far so good. Didn't find any difference with original glass.
AS1 - US standard for windshield.
DOT XYZ - Brand name
M XYZ - Brand internal code name of glass.
Options: Acoustic, SoundProof, SoundMaster, DoublePane.
Dot Matrix, Color Tint at top for few inches, None.
Couple of questions.
1. Is PGW DOT 904 made in USA ?. Where should i find in windshield ?
2. Does my comprehensive claim would appear on carfax ?.
3. When it comes to OEM windshield replacement, which insurance is better ?.
Appreciate your comments.