Engine and electrics cutting out randomly - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Hey guys, I'm relatively new here. I've been reading and researching for a lot longer than I have actually been posting. This may be my first post though.

I was digging around in the forums because I have a problem with my 8th gen Accord Coupe (2008). It's a 4 cylinder by the way.

I'm trying to isolate what this intermittent problem could be and thought maybe the experienced users on here could help a guy out.

What's been happening is every now and then while I'm driving everything cuts out, strictly speaking from an electric point of view. Gauges go down as if the car has been turned off, stereo turns off, even the lights on the center console go off. This happens for a split second and then everything comes back on again.

Today was another such incident but this time I was accelerating moderately coming out from a turn. Everything cut out again, including engine power because I felt it. The steering as well. Now I'm led to believe that it is indeed EVERYTHING going off for a second and coming back on.

Like I said, this is a random occurrence. I bought the car used a few months back and in total it's happened maybe three or four times, today's incident included. Today's was by far the most lets say widespread. I can't be certain this was happening before or if the problem has gotten worse, but my personal opinion is it's the same. All other previous times I was casually cruising at a low speeds.

I am due for my 100k (KM not miles) checkup as I have hit about 100k and change. and I am aware that certain things will have to be replaced and it'll be a hefty bill. But I'm not sure what the issue could be. At first I thought it could be battery related but then a buddy said it could actually be alternator related. If the alternator is giving out it could be drawing on the battery causing this. I used to think the previous owner's bad wiring job for a sub woofer in the trunk was causing shorting out because this cutting out only every occurred when I was listening to my stereo. Today's incident proves me wrong though.

My research on this site also shows it could be one other thing. Something to do with the ignition itself (ignition coil). I've read that after replacing it they didn't have this problem. However, this was specific to 6th gen owners. I couldn't find a single thing like this for 8th gen owners.

One last thing to add before this post turns in to a novel. I've got an HID kit installed for the low beams (done by the previous owner as well). I thought due to a poor installation, this may be causing whatever issue I'm experiencing too. I was planning on having the existing installation checked out just to make sure everything is wired the way it is supposed to be and then rule this out as a cause.

Any suggestions, feedback, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Just a note, I live in the Middle East (Saudi), and we have Gulf Spec cars here, but this just means we don't get extra add ons like the Maintenance module, TPMS, and auto door locks while driving and stuff like that.

One more thing I'd like to add, when I bought the car a few months back I got it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic, including getting a battery and alternator test done. All that came back in the report was the fact that I needed to change my spark plugs, which has already been taken care of.

The Following User Says Thank You to beemir For This Useful Post:
etown (05-27-2015)
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM

was the steering wheel locked?

it happened to me once before. similar symptoms. It was something with the key. I guess it couldn't read the chip inside it at that time??? maybe.. I was using the ebay key, so it could have been that the position of the chip was a little further than the oem key, so it caused problems.. I switched to OEM keys now, and i haven't seen that problem anymore.

maybe you should try to use a different key to see if the problem goes away?

Accord Coupe EX 2010 - Alabaster Silver on black interior
---
Smoked headlights & tail lights | Eyelids | HID headlights & Fog lights | 4th Brake Light | LED map lights, license plate | Cree LED reverse lights | Backup Camera | G35 Forged Rays Staged Wheels | 5% tints | Black Roof | Red interior trim
post #3 of 31 Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I was just coming out of the turn but still had a bit before I straightened out so when everything cut out, it did feel heavy (as in no power so no turning capability kind of thing).

I'm using the original key and have another original that's never been used. I would just have to put some new batteries in it because they're probably dead (or not in there). And then I have a third key which is just straight up the spare.

Interesting fact. I'll try using the new key and see how that works out for me. Although, when I mentioned Gulf Spec in my original post, I do believe that the Accords we get here don't have the vehicle immobilizer feature (I could be wrong though, and it could very well be a Honda feature built in, and that would be that. You can't really tell what's missing and what isn't, even the dealers can't tell you everything because they don't know themselves. That's what royally ****s about this place). So when you say the chip in the key isn't being read properly, it may or may not work. Still I'll give it a go.

Quick question for you bigdummy, how'd you know to change keys though? Or did you try anything else before figuring out it was the key you were using? Just curious to know what all you went through since you said you had similar symptoms.

post #4 of 31 Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM
5th Gear

Could be the ignition switch where the key is inserted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattmann For This Useful Post:
Tom 6-6 (05-27-2015)
post #5 of 31 Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I read that about 6th gens too. Does it cost a lot to get it switched out? Parts and labor I mean?
post #6 of 31 Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Just a quick update. I've started using the other OEM key which like I stated previously has never been used. Surprisingly the batteries in it are still good. So that's one thing. The other is, I'm planning on switching out the battery to a higher rated battery since everyone recommends to do that on the I4 here in the forums.

I'll update this thread either way as I'm sure it will help out others who have this problem on 8th gens.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 AM
6th Gear

My opinion is some wire connection is loose. After all you stated that you make a turn and straiten out. Lateral G forces will also effect loose connections and are at times even more difficult to isolate.

The previous owner may have removed lighting mods or performance enhancements that may require wiring.

Even if wiring was not directly interconnected, a wire may have been pinched or frayed when serviced at home or with a mechanic.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #8 of 31 Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 AM
2nd Gear

I know this will probably end up being a computer/electrical connection problem, but I experienced almost the same symptoms with the car['02 Grand Prix] just stalling all at once while driving. I mean just dying. I didn't lose the lights though. It was the MAF sensor.

2012 White Accord LX-S Coupe
2004 Pontiac GTO
2012 Black Civic EX
2001 Passat AWD
post #9 of 31 Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcumex View Post
I know this will probably end up being a computer/electrical connection problem, but I experienced almost the same symptoms with the car['02 Grand Prix] just stalling all at once while driving. I mean just dying. I didn't lose the lights though. It was the MAF sensor.
MAF sensor will not effect gauges and other electricals.

Wife had a new Ford Prob GT back in the day. It was a nightmare for her, as she had similar issues with electricals. Ford could not find the issue and forced her into paying for service. She traded it in and later found Ford issued a recall on the steering column electrical harness. She was never reimbursed for her service payments. So, needless to say she'll never buy another Ford. Just because how they treat women so unfairly with technical issues.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #10 of 31 Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
"Old School" Shifter

Since everything went down just like turning the key off I would start with the ignition switch and the key. Experts warn not to have alot of keys on a key ring because the weight will damage the ignition switch. You don't know how the previous owner loaded up their key ring. At 100,000 miles switches get alot of workout. Not uncommon for switches to go about then.
post #11 of 31 Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Engine and electrics cutting out randomly

A lot to ponder guys. Thanks for the feedback. I just hope it's the key or at worst the ignition switch. Anything after that is gonna be a bitch. But I do need to fix this. I can't get started on any mods until I know the car is good to go otherwise. Damn. Well I've switched from the old worn out OEM key to the new one. Gonna test it out. If this bs occurs again then it's gonna be the ignition switch.

Really ****s the fun out of just having gotten the car very recently though.

1991 Accord LX, 1994 Accord LX, 2010 CRV EX (family cars)
1996 Accord Coupe EX-R - HMM, MT, 17's (sold)
2008 Accord Coupe EX - SMR, AT, 25% tints, K&N SRI, 6.5k HID's, Hoen Endurance fogs, Vossen CV3's 19x10 all around
post #12 of 31 Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Engine and electrics cutting out randomly

Update: so I discovered that the intermittent problem here is strictly to do with the sound system. As it in cuts out power to the stereo and turns back on with the music slowly fading in (common practice so as not to blow the speakers)

What happened the other day with full engine and power cut off was a one time occurrence. I've switched keys and will get the ignition switch replaced.

However, since this intermittent problem has to do with just the stereo I'm wondering what could be the cause. Previous owner had a sub which has since been removed. I guess he sold it to one of his buddies. They're some dangling wires in the back. Just a couple. One is grounded (earthed) but not wired to anything else. The the other seems to be an extension of wire going to the left rear speaker. I'll try getting a pic up of the situation going on. I'll remove the earth lead because its literally useless right now with no sub and amp.

Anyways people got any thoughts? Appreciate the feedback this far.

2008 Accord Coupe EX - SMR, AT, 25% tints, K&N SRI, 6.5k HID's, Hoen Endurance fogs, Vossen CV3's 19x10 all around
post #13 of 31 Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Generation 9

Same thing

I know you said they tested the battery but the exact same thing happened to me 3 times when I had my 2011..It was the battery....The third time I got stuck on the parkway and had to get a tow...It was a pain in the %&$().. All my electrical and power would shut down when driving..Then suddenly go back on....It was like a systems shut down..I thought it was the whole electrical system or a short..Because I never saw a battery thing happen in that way...Check it out....maybe the battery is not registering as weak for some reason...

2013 Accord Sedan EXL V6
Crystal Black Pearl
Ambients Interior
LEDS - Interior, Doors, Maps, Dome, Trunk
Blue LEDS Center Console, Footwells Illuminated

Future Projects
Tints, the Legal NY laws
Door Sills

Products, Lexol,
WET PAINT
post #14 of 31 Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Administrator

This was a problem that I was having with my son's 05 Accord LX in the few months before he traded it. Occasionally the radio would cut out for a split second. Then the lights would glitch for a split second along with the radio. I happened to take it out for a drive one day and got it to glitch with the radio and lights, and then it actually had the motor cut out for a split second. Very odd. While it was doing this I played with the key in the ignition, and it didn't seem to impact it one way or the other - so I figure I eliminated the faulty ignition switch issue.

I did some of the suggested things like replacing the battery, checking the wiring on the radio (was an aftermarket setup but used a Crutchfield harness) - all was fine. I never got to reproduce it again after some of those changes, and he traded it in on his Civic so it's not something I can really go check.

But one thing occurred to me after this whole scenario. The behavior was electrical, and things would cut out randomly for a sec or so, and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason. I remembered one thing I'd forgotten, and that's the fact that his car had an aftermarket remote start system installed. Now, it hadn't been a problem at all - but it's conceivable that there was a short somewhere in that wiring that would send random glitches from the remote start into the main electrical of the car and cause this sort of problem. If we still had the car I'd have had the installer check the unit and maybe swap it out to see if that fixed the problem.

So aside from the other suggestions above, see if anything else has been added to the factory setup - like a remote start - to see if there's something else causing the problem.

andy
post #15 of 31 Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Just a quick update. I was gone for a road trip over the weekend to a different city. On the way there everything seemed normal. My lights seem to flicker more and more now though while stationary at a red light. Even after putting it in neutral. However, this isn't the case all the time. So everything was fine until my return trip. Now here's what starting happening. The shorting out of the audio and electrics did happen once or twice during the whole trip which leads me to believe the problem is getting worse or more frequent. On the drive back, since I was driving at night I'd have to occasionally flash people with my high beams to move out the way (as is a custom here, of course just once is enough not constant flashing like the idiots on the roads over here do). So every time I'd flash them, boom electrics would cut out completely but the car would keep moving. I did it another time just to see if that was a one off occurrence and nope it sure as hell wasn't. Power to the engine cut out too. That's some scary stuff right there. Needless to say I didn't try doing that again until I was back in the city. At this point in time everything was fine, high beams and all. I was trying to reproduce the problem but no dice.

Anyway so now I am not sure what approach to take. I was waiting to get paid so I can start troubleshooting. I've elevated this to a serious problem now just because it's annoying and potentially dangerous. I do have aftermarket HID conversion lights for the regular headlights that were installed by the previous owner. Short of changing the battery with a new one and getting the HID wiring checked out or completely removed altogether, I'm not sure what else to try.

Alternatively, my car is due for its 100,000 km check up where they charge you an arm and a leg just for checking, and replacement parts and labor will be extra. That's my other choice. At least then I MIGHT know what the issue is, can't say for sure. Problem is cash flow is kind of tight right now and if I have to replace everything they say I need to, I probably won't. Will have to prioritize. But at least I'll know.

I may just be pissed or frustrated but I really think it's the shoddy job on the HID kit itself. The bulbs are high quality and definitely look good but it's the wiring I'm more concerned with. A buddy of mine thinks since I'm due for that thorough inspection it could be my alternator dying and drawing on the battery etc.

What do you guys think? How would you go about solving this? On a side note I've been extremely busy with work that I haven't had time to focus on this problem but now I don't give a rat's a$$...I NEED to fix this.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback so far by the way. Much appreciated.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.