Manually shifting an automatic - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Manually shifting an automatic

I came form a Civic Si and still like to shift in some instances if i need the power or responsiveness when entering traffic, when i wanna have some fun, or when going down a steep hill.

Anyone else ever shift manually? I have an 09 i4.

Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM
유+웃= ♋

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonovich View Post
I came form a Civic Si and still like to shift in some instances if i need the power or responsiveness when entering traffic, when i wanna have some fun, or when going down a steep hill.

Anyone else ever shift manually? I have an 09 i4.
The manual for the Accord specifically says that you can shift the automatic like a manual.

This doesn't mean that I would do it often, but after reading that in the manual I tried it out and the car shifts. Would I do it a lot...no

post #3 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear

Why didnt you just get a manual? I think the SI is sporty than the accord coupe

2012 Accord Coupe EX i4 PMM

post #4 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
5th Gear

When renting crappy underpowered airport cars when traveling; I shift manually sometimes and run through the gears mainly due to boredom and the hours I spend in these cheese boxes.

2011 Accord Sedan LX 5-spd Alabaster Silver
Acura rear sway bar 17mm upgrade
Keeping it stock hoping to run it 200,000 miles.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
5th Gear

According to this book; Real Men allow the transmission to shift itself.

2011 Accord Sedan LX 5-spd Alabaster Silver
Acura rear sway bar 17mm upgrade
Keeping it stock hoping to run it 200,000 miles.
post #6 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM
3rd Gear

You can shift any automatic transmission manually. But they are not designed to do so and will start having issues far sooner then normal. Cars that have a separate gate for manual mode (tiptronics as well as modern transmissions like VW/Audi DSG, BMW SMG, and Porsche PDK are designed to be shifted manually as they are not a traditional automatic and do not have a torque converter).

-2012 Honda Accord SE Sedan (His)
-2011 Acura TSX Sedan (Hers)
-1997 Honda Accord LX Wagon (Backup car)
-2002 Honda RVT1000R Superbike (Weekend Toy)
post #7 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
banned

I would advise against shifting the auto as it has many more parts to an auto matic transmission than the manaul and you will be shortining the life of the auto trani. My suggestion is to do it to rentals only, or trade it in for a manual car. Good luck.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

I shift manually all the time. Also use 2 and 1 to engine brake coming off freeways. D3 I'll sometimes use to bleed off speed without using brake lights if I'm creeping on a car in front of me. I also use D3 when I'm weaving through traffic and don't want to wait for downshifts (used it on my way to work this morning, in fact).

I seriously doubt it makes a difference for the tranny. The ECU is doing the shifting regardless of auto or manual, so as far as it cares there's no difference between you controlling it or the speed/pedal position controlling it.
LXAccord05 likes this.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear

I don't get people who shift automatics. Why buy an automatic which is more expensive then manual shift? Why not just save yourself $1000 and buy manual?

post #10 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
4th Gear

I can understand why people don't want to shift manually, but our automatics are different than other automatics. They have a lot fewer parts than other autos which have a planetary gear to transmit power. Our automatics are just a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch and gear changes. They wouldn't tell us in the manual to change gears like a manual if it wasn't meant to be used in that way. IMO, if you use the shifter sparingly, I doubt it will have any impact on transmission life. It's more important to keep up on drain and fills and tranny filter changes than to worry about this.

Sent from
post #11 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I shift manually all the time. Also use 2 and 1 to engine brake coming off freeways. D3 I'll sometimes use to bleed off speed without using brake lights if I'm creeping on a car in front of me. I also use D3 when I'm weaving through traffic and don't want to wait for downshifts (used it on my way to work this morning, in fact).

I seriously doubt it makes a difference for the tranny. The ECU is doing the shifting regardless of auto or manual, so as far as it cares there's no difference between you controlling it or the speed/pedal position controlling it.
It makes a huge difference. Sure the ECU is shifting for you when you are in full auto...but its not downshifting for engine braking like you are doing and hold high rpm for extended periods like you are doing....both of which are bringing the tranny up to temperatures that it doesn't normally operate under as well as putting additional wair on the tranny. I hope you are doing transmission oil changes on time/more frequently.

One of my co workers fried the auto transmission in his Acura RSX by only driving it in manual mode...the RSX even had the tiptronic like transmission which allows you to put it in manual mode and switch gears using the slap stick.

post #12 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Our automatics are just a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch and gear changes. They wouldn't tell us in the manual to change gears like a manual if it wasn't meant to be used in that way. IMO, if you use the shifter sparingly, I doubt it will have any impact on transmission life. It's more important to keep up on drain and fills and tranny filter changes than to worry about this.
They aren't though. They have a torque converter (not a clutch) like just about every Automatic. Honda Automatics are notorious for being problematic...especially the 5 Speed V6 units. Big reason is because they are not built like traditional automatics and require more maintenance.

Driving the automatic like a manual is going to put more strain and heat on the transmission which will effectively reduce its life span and require even sooner maintenance intervals.

While its anecdotal evidence...I've seen too many Auto Transmissions go bad...so I don't even put my car in park without first putting the e brake up so the vehicles weight rest on the car rather then the transmission. I also come to a complete stop when going in reverse before putting the car into drive or vice versa. Honda are great cars, and arguably some of the most reliable on the road. But the transmissions don't have the best reputations. So I baby it.

post #13 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordNoobie View Post
I don't get people who shift automatics. Why buy an automatic which is more expensive then manual shift? Why not just save yourself $1000 and buy manual?
I like auto because it gets the shifts perfect every time and I don't have to worry about fiddling with a gear in traffic. 90% of the time auto is good. 10% of the time "I know better".

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #14 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I like auto because it gets the shifts perfect every time and I don't have to worry about fiddling with a gear in traffic. 90% of the time auto is good. 10% of the time "I know better".
All i can understand for this post is a rather shift an automatic, because i can't learn how to drive manual. MANY people shift manual perfectly.

post #15 of 34 Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordRVT View Post
They aren't though. They have a torque converter (not a clutch) like just about every Automatic. Honda Automatics are notorious for being problematic...especially the 5 Speed V6 units. Big reason is because they are not built like traditional automatics and require more maintenance.

Driving the automatic like a manual is going to put more strain and heat on the transmission which will effectively reduce its life span and require even sooner maintenance intervals.

While its anecdotal evidence...I've seen too many Auto Transmissions go bad...so I don't even put my car in park without first putting the e brake up so the vehicles weight rest on the car rather then the transmission. I also come to a complete stop when going in reverse before putting the car into drive or vice versa. Honda are great cars, and arguably some of the most reliable on the road. But the transmissions don't have the best reputations. So I baby it.
I hear you man. It's your car and I totally understand the reasoning by which you made this decision. I'd like to add a side note to my previous post. It may not be a good idea if you have an 03-05 v6 as these have been proven to problematic even when babied. That said, it's also been proven that the act of babying these transmissions can actually increase the heat on the clutch packs, which is the part that breaks down and causes the domino effect. Princess made a post regarding this a while ago (her husband is a long-time tech). I have an '07 v6 and I do a drain and fill every oil change. The problems with the 03-05's were fixed in my tranny, so I'm a bit more confident.

Sent from

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.