Malfunction Indicator Lamp, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) lights coming on... help? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Malfunction Indicator Lamp, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) lights coming on... help?

Wife's 2008 Honda Accord (she just got new tires put on a week ago, could be related?)

She was driving and the Malfunction indicator lamp (check engine light) came on and remained on. She kept driving and then the VSA lights came on. One says VSA and the other is a triangle with a ! in it. All 3 lights were yellow.

When she started braking, the car began to shake. When she was driving, everything was normal... only shook when braking and when stopped/in park.

Any thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

2010 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6
19" HFP wheels w/ Kumho Ecsta 4x 245/40/19 tires
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear

You may want to see what cel code its throwing first. Stores like autozone will do free OBDII scanning. The VSA light means the system is malfunctioning; that stuttering under braking may be the traction system trying to cut in.

I would find out what the cel code is about first.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Would it be worthwhile to take back to Discount Tire, as they're the ones who replaced the tires only a week ago?

Or Autozone first?

post #4 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear

Maybe autozone as I don't believe discount tire will read OBDII codes...I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask them though.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear

I think you are having multiple cylinder misfires. I recently changed my plugs and I forgot to plug back in the connectors on the rear bank. When I started the car the engine light, VSA light and Triangle with an exclamation point came on. That'll also explain the shaking that your experiencing. Some of your spark plugs must be bad...def go to autozone to get your codes pulled. I think when all three of those lights come on you are in safe/limp . You probably can't rev your engine past 3,000 rpm. Once i plugged my connectors back in all was good. If it is your spark plugs I would do them myself. It is very easy to do on the Accord.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chineywhale View Post
I think you are having multiple cylinder misfires. I recently changed my plugs and I forgot to plug back in the connectors on the rear bank. When I started the car the engine light, VSA light and Triangle with an exclamation point came on. That'll also explain the shaking that your experiencing. Some of your spark plugs must be bad...def go to autozone to get your codes pulled. I think when all three of those lights come on you are in safe/limp . You probably can't rev your engine past 3,000 rpm. Once i plugged my connectors back in all was good. If it is your spark plugs I would do them myself. It is very easy to do on the Accord.

You were spot on... took it to the dealership and determined spark plugs needed to be replaced.

Whew, glad to avoid a huge dent in the wallet.... for now

post #7 of 11 Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 AM
3rd Gear

Out of curiousity, how much did they charge you? Did they perform the reflash per tsb 10-033?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Out of curiousity, how much did they charge you? Did they perform the reflash per tsb 10-033?
Well, they only replaced one spark plug last time and it solved the issue for a while. But now, her car is doing the same thing with the malfunction indicator and shaking when braking thing. They charged her $81 for spark plug and labor last time. I think she'll need to get the rest replaced as well. Starting to wonder if anywhere else can do this for cheaper than $81...

post #9 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Just here for the food

Quote:
bump

i changed mine in the summer.. like late june-ish. haven't had a problem since. i also got brand new tires back in may!
however, the CEL, VSA, and (!) lights have come on within the last... week or so. not sure why.
i do have a rough idle, and a couple of times the engine actually stalls out at idle (half the time it turns back on by itself). i can also feel surges at idle, that'll push the car forward just a bit when I'm holding the brakes just enough to keep it from moving, even on inclines.
car doesn't quite like revving high, because i feel some roughness when i do rev in neutral, but does get past 3kRPM without a problem.
i made an appt to go to my honda dealership/shop next thursday. my poor baby

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 11 Old 11-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Just here for the food

i would edit my previous post but i guess it's too old to edit; i don't see the option here on tapatalk

nonetheless, here is said edit/update:
i took my car to autozone to have codes pulled not too long ago.

the result? P0301. cylinder 1 misfire.
the ignition coil is evidently the culprit.

that i can replace. im still in for my appointment at honda but in the meantime, do you guys think i should replace the coil and spark plug or just the coil? and should i do all 4 again? recall that i changed my spark plugs in the summer of this year. although having the misfire might have damaged that one plug a bit. it's been a week or two.

Current mods:

Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

post #11 of 11 Old 11-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Just here for the food

another update

my girlfriend was driving the car (i was at work at the time) and she said she hit a really big pothole, and the CEL went out. this happened ehh 2 days ago. i haven't seen the CEL since, but still "feel" the misfire when revving and idling. the VSA and (!) lights haven't come on since, either. it rained yesterday so naturally i put the system to the test and it functioned as designed. interesting, huh?

again, my appt at the shop is still set for tomorrow*** morning. i'll follow up then, and will probably make my own thread.

Current mods:

Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.