How to: Replace windshield wiper blades (rubber inserts) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Car so nice, bought twice

How to: Replace windshield wiper blades (rubber inserts)

Yes they're a consumable, especially if you live in a really hot place like I do, so I change mine out with every oil change. #20 and #22. $8 isn't too bad.

Step 1:
There's a tab in the middle of the blade. Flip it up to unlock the blade from the arm.

Step 2:
The arm is held on by a J hook. You need to push the blade down and then rotate it off. When you're done you will have the arm in your hand with the rubber and metal frame.

Step 3:
We're now ready to pull some rubber. The rubber is DIRECTIONAL so you have to pull it from the open end. See the pictures below.

Step 4:
We're now looking at the metal guide/frame that gives the rubber it's shape. Removal is easy but make sure the hooks are facing inwards.

Step 5:
With the metal back in the new rubber, slide it back up the arm. Remember, the rubber will only slide 1 way. It should go pretty smoothly up with a push/pull motion.

Reinstall the arm, close the tab, done.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I change mine out with every oil change.
Isn't that a bit too often? Or is it just me?

post #3 of 16 Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc626 View Post
Isn't that a bit too often? Or is it just me?
Your suppose to change it every 10k miles or every 6 months. They are very cheap, why not change it every oil change which is about every 7k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav
Crystal Black Pearl/Black Interior
Splash Guards - Wheel Locks - HID's in Lows (6K) and fogs (3k) - Weather Tech Digital FLoor Mats - ExLed Custom Interior Lights.

Previous 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Nav, Crystal Black Pearll/Black Interior

Previous 2008 Honda Accord EX-L I4 Nav, Nighthawk Black/Black Interior

post #4 of 16 Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 AM
4th Gear

I get a year out of them before they start streaking or chattering, at which point I change the inserts. Per the recommendations of wiper manufacturers, I clean them manually with washer fluid every couple of months (they state every gas fill-up) to remove contaminants, which prevents streaking and extends the life of the rubber. The Honda wipers are the best I have had on any vehicle that I have owned.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes, for $8 bucks it's "why not replace them"? Mine were still doing pretty well but starting to streak just a little bit (12 months old but went through 4 months of 100+ heat where I park outside for work). The new rubber is a lot more pliable...I tested by misting my windshield and they didn't leave a drop behind. They're really good probably because they're made in Japan according to the packaging.

)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #6 of 16 Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulja4187 View Post
Your suppose to change it every 10k miles or every 6 months. They are very cheap, why not change it every oil change which is about every 7k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yeah, I guess you're right. But I checked the price of the wiper blade inserts with my local dealer here and they want $40 for both of the inserts ($20 each). $20 for a piece of rubber? IMO, that's just crazy.
If anyone knows of a site selling the wiper blades for around $8 which is also willing to ship to Australia for a cheap price, please let me know! Thanks.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

^^ See the 1st post. HondaPartsUnlimited sells the rubber for $8 total, both sides. $20 would be the price of a new arm + rubber (one side), which you never need to replace. Total cost only goes up to $11.50 if you go to the dealer and buy the rubber inserts, which will probably be cheaper than int'l shipping. Parts 76622-STK-A01 and 76632-TA0-A01.

)

post #8 of 16 Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
^^ See the 1st post. HondaPartsUnlimited sells the rubber for $8 total, both sides. $20 would be the price of a new arm + rubber (one side), which you never need to replace. Total cost only goes up to $11.50 if you go to the dealer and buy the rubber inserts, which will probably be cheaper than int'l shipping. Parts 76622-STK-A01 and 76632-TA0-A01.
lol, even you thought the price was unbelievable.
$20 is just for one rubber wiper blade insert. The dealerships here in Australia charge you a lot for Genuine Honda products. It's ridiculous.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

That's just not right. I'm going to be putting together another order with HondaParts in the next couple of weeks. I could throw on a few extra pairs and mail them to you if you cover the cost of the blades+shipping (~$10 for the slowest method). PM me if you want to get the ball rolling on that.

)

post #10 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
That's just not right. I'm going to be putting together another order with HondaParts in the next couple of weeks. I could throw on a few extra pairs and mail them to you if you cover the cost of the blades+shipping (~$10 for the slowest method). PM me if you want to get the ball rolling on that.
Thanks for the offer, but nah, I wouldn't want to bother you with all the ordering and shipping internationally, etc. I'll just have a look on websites or try and haggle with the dealership. I might PM you later on if nothing works out for me. What would be the highest price you would be willing to pay for a pair of wiper blades? I might try and get the dealer to get to that price... Thanks again for the offer! Cheers.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 AM
4th Gear

I get my inserts from bernardiparts.com; Pretty much the same price ($3.87 + $4.21). I never go the local dealer to buy any parts unless it is an absolute emergency, due to their ridiculous markup. As others stated, I bundle my order or order multiple items, which more than offsets any shipping charges. I will add hondapartsunlimited to my list as well.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM
banned

Has anyone tried the rain x wiper replacements. Amazing.Last year i was using the bosch icons good wipers used rain-x this year. Put on the rain x liquid packet that comes wiht the blades on the windshield and the imporvement in function will blow those stock inserts out of the water. Actually repels the rain just like the commercial, and you put the liquid every few months. But the results are really worth it. Pay to play, my opinion. Good luck.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc626 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but nah, I wouldn't want to bother you with all the ordering and shipping internationally, etc. I'll just have a look on websites or try and haggle with the dealership. I might PM you later on if nothing works out for me. What would be the highest price you would be willing to pay for a pair of wiper blades? I might try and get the dealer to get to that price... Thanks again for the offer! Cheers.
You could try going to parts.honda.com (whatever the official site is) and printing out a cart showing $11.75 total (which is full MSRP). Maybe they'll match it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
I get my inserts from bernardiparts.com; Pretty much the same price ($3.87 + $4.21). I never go the local dealer to buy any parts unless it is an absolute emergency, due to their ridiculous markup. As others stated, I bundle my order or order multiple items, which more than offsets any shipping charges. I will add hondapartsunlimited to my list as well.
I also use Majestic Honda, because they're sometimes a tiny bit cheaper. Very reliable as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe7 View Post
Has anyone tried the rain x wiper replacements. Amazing.Last year i was using the bosch icons good wipers used rain-x this year. Put on the rain x liquid packet that comes wiht the blades on the windshield and the imporvement in function will blow those stock inserts out of the water. Actually repels the rain just like the commercial, and you put the liquid every few months. But the results are really worth it. Pay to play, my opinion. Good luck.
I personally don't want to put any additives on my glass. Plus I seem to recall rain x blades (along with most aftermarkets) not getting more than 3 stars on Amazon.

)

post #14 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
I get a year out of them before they start streaking or chattering, at which point I change the inserts. Per the recommendations of wiper manufacturers, I clean them manually with washer fluid every couple of months (they state every gas fill-up) to remove contaminants, which prevents streaking and extends the life of the rubber. The Honda wipers are the best I have had on any vehicle that I have owned.
I agree the Honda wipers are excellent. I bought OEM blade refills for my Accord two years ago and they're still in the house. The original blades are 4 years old and work perfectly.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #15 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

usually get a year out of mine. I bought the same ones as you and swapped them out.
much cheaper then the whole wipers from the autoparts stores!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.