Throttle Position Percentage - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Throttle Position Percentage

Hey everyone, been a while since I posted but figured I'd share something I recently found out about our Accords.

I purchased the Torque app for my Android phone along with the OBD2 bluetooth adapter. (The app overall is pretty impressive in my opinion). The other day I noticed that when I floored the car, the throttle percentage only showed up as 78%. I found this odd considering if the car is floored, it should read 100%. So I tried it out a couple more times and still the highest value was 78%.

A friend of mine has the same car as mine, only she has an automatic. The same thing, only went up to 78%.

This may be some sort of answer as to why people on these forums feel a BIG difference when they install a Weapon R controller or SprintBooster. In addition to getting to full throttle earlier with these components installed, maybe its actually opening the throttle 100%? To me, 22% percent in throttle sounds like a big difference.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I want to hear what everyone else thinks.

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to SMavrides89
Hm. I see that the read out states "highest value 78%" but lowest value also reads 12.5%. Shouldn't the car read 0% if there is no throttle applied.

Which leads me to believe there MUST be some margin of error. I understand this is supposed to be accurate, but I doubt anything on a phone can be.

2012 Crystal Black Pearl Coupe EX-L Navi V6 6MT
4300k Phillips HIDs | 35% Side / 20% Rear 3M Tint | 35% Blue Tint Fogs | HFP Suspension | K&N Typhoon SRI | J-Power Rear Camber 3 Arm Kit | 10" Rockford Fosgate Sub w/ 1200w Kenwood Amp | Magnaflow Custom Exhaust

Last Hondas:
2011 BBP Coupe EX 5MT - Few Mods
2010 WDP Sedan EX-L V6 - Almost No Mods
2009 CBP Coupe EX 5AT - Lots of Mods
--------------------------------
2003 SMR Coupe EX-L 5AT - Bone Stock
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
i think it may be a software issue - keep in mind that despite reading ecu information, these are universal tools and apps. for example (for me at least) the ecu reports a 100% full tank as 92.2% full and stays at that mark until the actual volume drops to less. actual mpg is reported accurately, however, so the car knows when it's full but conveys that info in its own language.

2011 CBP Sedan EX-L V6 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/FXR xBa Halo/Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe

post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 PM
banned

Could be an issue of relative vs. actual position. I know on my UltraGauge there are two different options to display those two parameters. I found this out because on one of them it would never read 100% or 0% for full throttle or engine off conditions respectively.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I think in the settings, there is a way to see both actual and relative also. I will check that out when I get a chance and post. I do know that this particular reading its read at the intake manifold.

And yes i would assume there could be a margin of error, but i failed to mention i also tested this with a regular OBD2 scanner and the same low and high values showed up. And I noticed that most newer cars with electronic throttle at idle will not read 0%. Again, Mike W might be on to something with the relative and actual readings. Im not sure what the OBD2 scanner is, but I will check if there are any more settings with the torque app
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Mine reads 14.1% when the car is not even running. When I turn the car on at cold start it goes up to 16 then down to 15 when the car warms up.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

The first picture is with the car in the ON position, but not running and the pedal floored.

The second picture is with the car running at idle at normal operating temperature.

These are all the different outputs the computer can read relating to the throttle or the pedal. They are: Absolute Throttle Position B, Accelerator PedalPosition D and E, Throttle Position (Manifold), and Relative Throttle Position.
Attached Images
post #8 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
i think it may be a software issue - keep in mind that despite reading ecu information, these are universal tools and apps. for example (for me at least) the ecu reports a 100% full tank as 92.2% full and stays at that mark until the actual volume drops to less. actual mpg is reported accurately, however, so the car knows when it's full but conveys that info in its own language.
I suspect mpg as calculated by the ecu has nothing to do with readings from the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank. I know on ODBII Jags, Fords, Toyotas, Infinitis, and Porsches mpg is calculated from fuel used as measured by fuel injector duty cycles and not from the very inaccurate fuel tank fuel level sensors. I would expect Honda to be no different.

Distance to empty calculations are based on fuel tank sensors (how else could the estimates be obtained) and this is one of the reasons that DTE is rarely accurate and in constant flux in my experience.

I do agree that the figures as obtained by generic OBD readers are, from my experience and from what some OBDII engineers have told me, are not as accurate as when the manufacturer specific equipment is used. This is mainly to do with the electronics and software of the cheap(er) generic readers, I'm told.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM
banned

Yeah, my idle throttle position shows about 3.5% and then of course pedal to the metal is 100%. Most likely a settings issue. Hope you figure it out...it was annoying for me too.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.