lowering springs Question? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

lowering springs Question?

I Got A 2010 accord sedan, im looking into buying some lowering springs for it. but all i can find are springs for Accord coupes, So my question is Would Lowering springs for a coupe fit a sedan? Any Info Would Help. Thank You All

Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

read here why springs are a bad idea - buy coils - save your money until you can...

Suspension FAQ - Coilovers, HFP suspension, Springs, Camber Kits

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #3 of 17 Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM
4th Gear

Everyone on here hates people using springs. I remember when I was in the market for them everyone kept saying save your money buy coils. I have been using tein s-tech on stock struts and I haven't had 1 issue with them and there is no unnecessary bouncing. I also had mine professionally installed so that may have helped.

But to answer your question I'm pretty sure they would work the suspension is the same between sedan and coupe you just have to make sure you get springs for the i4 if it's a i4 and get v6 ones if you drive a v6.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2011 Accord Coupe EX-L
HFP Skirt Pkg
JDM Badges
6000K HID Headlights
Nokya Yellow DRL
Injen Short Ram Intake
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
Magnaflow Dual Catback Exhaust
HSD Coilovers
P2R Downpipe W/Cat Delete
TWM Shortshifter

post #4 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear

I want to get springs too, then if the struts wear out I'll just buy coilovers then. I just can't afford the $800 they cost then having to buy cams and have them installed just seems a little much for me. I drive over 3,000 miles a month and want a stock ride on the means streets of Tampa I don't want to bounce everytime I hit a bump. I do a lot of interstate driving and don't take my car to the track, I just want to lower it about an inch to look better.

I've already bought a cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust (should be here Wednesday) and then just want springs and wheels and I'm done.

Any thoughts are appreciated,
Warrior
post #5 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorwagner View Post
I want to get springs too, then if the struts wear out I'll just buy coilovers then. I just can't afford the $800 they cost then having to buy cams and have them installed just seems a little much for me. I drive over 3,000 miles a month and want a stock ride on the means streets of Tampa I don't want to bounce everytime I hit a bump. I do a lot of interstate driving and don't take my car to the track, I just want to lower it about an inch to look better.

I've already bought a cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust (should be here Wednesday) and then just want springs and wheels and I'm done.

Any thoughts are appreciated,
Warrior
here's the rub - you pay for two installs which are not cheap
put on springs now - about 400-500 and springs are 250
when they blow - get coils for 700-800 and then another 400-500 for install

or just get coils and install once...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM
2nd Gear

Glen e, thanks for the input. I've been reading all the info on this topic for two weeks now. My only concern is that I drive around 25,000 a year on most interstates and Tampa highways that are terrible, no snow though. I just really want to drop around an 1 inch when I get my rims and tires to give it a good look. I don't want too low to bottom out when I drive up to my house. I'm just surprised I have to pay $1,000 to lower my car an inch.

Will the coilovers be comfortable like stock and not bounce around when I hit a bump? I'm 39 and don't want to look like a 20yo (no offense to 20 yo's).

How much will I have to spend getting the cam kit and having them installed too? If I pay $1,200 for rims and tires, I want them to last.

Thanks,
Warrior
post #7 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
5th Gear

If you're not going to any track day, canyon driving, sport driving etc. I think you should just get the springs. Also if you drive long distance I would imagine that you want a pretty comfortable ride. With coil-overs the shorter shock body and stiffer spring the ride will be stiffer that even if you have the setting to the lowest.

And if you are going with just the spring drop, you will need an alignment. anything more then 1 inch drop you will need an camber kit.

I have been running KYB AGX and pro-kit on my eclipse for years. The owner before me had cut springs... Talk about old school.

Car history:
1990 Toyota Corolla 1.6 (4AFE)--> 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 2.0T (4G63T)--> 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2(5SFE)--> 1995 Nissan Altima 2.4 (KA24DE)--> 2012 Honda Accord EX 2.4 (K24Z3)

Dream Cars:
Aston Martin DBS, Maserati GT, Caterham 7 (aka Louts Super 7)

post #8 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Doc Mojo

Quote:
Glen e, thanks for the input. I've been reading all the info on this topic for two weeks now. My only concern is that I drive around 25,000 a year on most interstates and Tampa highways that are terrible, no snow though. I just really want to drop around an 1 inch when I get my rims and tires to give it a good look. I don't want too low to bottom out when I drive up to my house. I'm just surprised I have to pay $1,000 to lower my car an inch.

Will the coilovers be comfortable like stock and not bounce around when I hit a bump? I'm 39 and don't want to look like a 20yo (no offense to 20 yo's).

How much will I have to spend getting the cam kit and having them installed too? If I pay $1,200 for rims and tires, I want them to last.

Thanks,
Warrior
good camber kit can cost $250+ with cheap alternatives $150.
When you do your struct/coilover install, it makes sense to change out your camber set at the same time. dunno about the actual labour cost, I did it myself with a buddy and took 5 hrs+ when I changed to coils and cambers. Sedan struct install is a pain in the butt for the rear, since you have to take out the rear shelf to reach the struct hats.

You're looking at spending at least $2500-3000 for coils/camber/wheel/tires set just for parts alone. Another alternative for lowering with be the HFP suspension which will work on sedans. It's not that much cheaper, but you won't need a camber kit. Saw one used here earlier for $750 or less I believe

'09 Honda Accord EX I4 Sedan
CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL- "RAVEN"

post #9 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuangandrew View Post
good camber kit can cost $250+ with cheap alternatives $150.
When you do your struct/coilover install, it makes sense to change out your camber set at the same time. dunno about the actual labour cost, I did it myself with a buddy and took 5 hrs+ when I changed to coils and cambers. Sedan struct install is a pain in the butt for the rear, since you have to take out the rear shelf to reach the struct hats.

You're looking at spending at least $2500-3000 for coils/camber/wheel/tires set just for parts alone. Another alternative for lowering with be the HFP suspension which will work on sedans. It's not that much cheaper, but you won't need a camber kit. Saw one used here earlier for $750 or less I believe
Well, it that's what people are spending on coilovers, I'll just get some new rims and tires and live with the gap. I'm making a stretch to pay the money for the rims and tires next year, there's no way I can afford to spend that much on suspension. I love my Accord, but I have priorities and riding low is not that important to me (not saying those that have are wrong, just not for me). I might go with the springs or just say the heck with it all together, but thanks for all the help in deciding.

Warrior
post #10 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63attack View Post
If you're not going to any track day, canyon driving, sport driving etc. I think you should just get the springs. Also if you drive long distance I would imagine that you want a pretty comfortable ride. With coil-overs the shorter shock body and stiffer spring the ride will be stiffer that even if you have the setting to the lowest.

And if you are going with just the spring drop, you will need an alignment. anything more then 1 inch drop you will need an camber kit.

I have been running KYB AGX and pro-kit on my eclipse for years. The owner before me had cut springs... Talk about old school.
hogwash....my coils and 20 inch wheels run like stock, no bumps or bad ride...

post #11 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
hogwash....my coils and 20 inch wheels run like stock, no bumps or bad ride...
So your saying 20 inch rims with thinner tires, coil over (shorter shocks) performs like OEM? bull dingo berries! So do you even drive your car over cracks, bumps, dips, pot holes.....

My eclipse with KYB AGX, pro kit combo meted with VolkGram lights 57c wrap with potenza 225/45/17. I can feel everything on the road. Also my AGX is on the lowest damping setting

Car history:
1990 Toyota Corolla 1.6 (4AFE)--> 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 2.0T (4G63T)--> 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2(5SFE)--> 1995 Nissan Altima 2.4 (KA24DE)--> 2012 Honda Accord EX 2.4 (K24Z3)

Dream Cars:
Aston Martin DBS, Maserati GT, Caterham 7 (aka Louts Super 7)

post #12 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Original Honda M6 Owner

Quote:

Thanks,
Warrior
if you just want a one inch drop, get the HFP suspension from honda. i have it, and it is much smoother than having springs on stock struts (which is what i had before). my stock struts went bad after ~7 months after i put on the eibach springs. fwiw, it sounds like the hfp setup is what will serve you best.

2009 EX-L V6 w/ Navi CBP 5AT - Body Side Molding - exLEDUSA Interior 5k LEDs - Brakemotiv Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 35% Tint - 6k HID Headlights - Debadged
post #13 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

Or you could buy a spring+shock/strut combo that is designed for lowering. Some shock/struts are designed for lowering springs.

Someone on this forum once told me I must know nothing about cars because my forum sig just had some visual mods listed in it. I suppose what's listed in your sig is the extent of your car knowledge.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3ak View Post
Or you could buy a spring+shock/strut combo that is designed for lowering. Some shock/struts are designed for lowering springs.
this is what a coilover is....

post #15 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus31 View Post
if you just want a one inch drop, get the HFP suspension from honda. i have it, and it is much smoother than having springs on stock struts (which is what i had before). my stock struts went bad after ~7 months after i put on the eibach springs. fwiw, it sounds like the hfp setup is what will serve you best.
I was gonna suggest this but ya beat me too it. They HFP set up is the best bet if you only want an inch drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
this is what a coilover is....
Yes this is true BUT many other cars can get aftermarket shocks/struts that can accommodate lower springs so it's cost effective. I had neuspeed race springs with KYB AGX shocks/stuts and it wasn't height adjustable but the car had a beautiful stance and rode well for being so low. As far as I know there are no upgraded shocks/struts made for the 8th gen accord.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.