how to removed stripped/stuck brake rotor screws on 8th gen? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Original Honda M6 Owner

how to removed stripped/stuck brake rotor screws on 8th gen?

sup guys,

i spent 8 hours today with my buddy replacing the suspension on my coupe with the HFP setup. it took a sh*t ton of work and trial/error but we finally got it right. the ride is significantly better than stock struts + eibach springs. if anyone is interested, i will be selling those springs very soon. it was quite the learning experience! i am mostly a noob when it comes to cars but today was definitely the highest yield day for me as far as car stuff is concerned. definitely happy i decided to get it done myself (plus a friend) instead of paying out the butt at the dealer.

since we had the wheels off, i decided to change my brakes using cross-drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. three wheels we got done with only a couple issues. however the driver's side rear brake rotor WILL NOT come off. the screws are rusted in there and fused - i tried an impact driver with no luck, also tried a giant breaker bar and only wound up stripping the screws like crazy. drilling the head did not do anything (even though it worked on a prior rotor).

does anyone have a suggestion for how to get those screws out??? i do not like the idea of driving around on 3 new brakes and 1 old...

2009 EX-L V6 w/ Navi CBP 5AT - Body Side Molding - exLEDUSA Interior 5k LEDs - Brakemotiv Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 35% Tint - 6k HID Headlights - Debadged
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

So you have already drill out the screw heads? If so then rust is probably holding the rotor onto the hub, just whack the rotors with a sledge hammer from inside face of the rotor away from the car, hit one spot, move the rotor 1/4 turn and hit it again, repeat until rotor comes loose, don't worry about damaging the rotor since you are replacing them anyway.

Just keep both of your feet clear in case the rotor comes flying off and lands on your feet!!!

You also don't need to re-install the screws, the screws are used more for factory assembly environment to maintain efficiency up in a production line.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Original Honda M6 Owner

thanks, that is really helpful. i think i will try using a larger bit tomorrow now that i have read up on the various ways to solve this problem. if that doesn't work then i'll be hammering away.

has anybody used those easy-out stripped screw removal kits from the big box stores?

2009 EX-L V6 w/ Navi CBP 5AT - Body Side Molding - exLEDUSA Interior 5k LEDs - Brakemotiv Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 35% Tint - 6k HID Headlights - Debadged

post #4 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 PM
mobiless2

Don't waste money, just use a 5/16 drill bit & a heavy hammer.

2009 ASM EX I-4 Auto 4DR: Weapon-R I Throttle/TL FSB RSB/Morimoto H1/Fogs/K40/Viper 5704/exLED 146K

2015 HM SPORT I-4 CVT 4DR: TL RSB, exLED, OEM Tweeters-LED Mirrors-LED Tail Lights, Coutesy Lights, Ambient Light Kit, 4G TL Retrofit w/TSX-R Lens, RV6 PCD, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 36K

2016 ABP Civic EX-T CVT 4DR
exLED
post #5 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 AM
3rd Gear

In the future, use a cutoff wheel in your dremel tool. Cut a slot in the screw and remove the screw with a flat head scew driver. Works for me.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Original Honda M6 Owner

got 'er done. wound up moving up to a 3/8 drill bit for about 5 minutes, then pounded on the inside of the rotor with a hammer and the s*cker popped right off.

d*mn you, honda!!

new rotors and pads installed:

here's the front being installed by my buddy

post #7 of 17 Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM
7th Gear

Just for future reference... Once you drilled the heads out, then instead of whacking it with a hammer ensuring that its deformed, take I believe its a 10MM screw and screw into the threaded hole in the rotors, you have 2 of them you can see in your pic. Take a wrench and tighten them down>> Rotor pops right off..

Kenwood
08 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 NAVI
post #8 of 17 Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Great...didn't know Honda was still using them. Had an 87 Accord, 88 CRX Si, 96 Integra GS-R and 98 Prelude in the past and hated them. At my first rotor replacement I ditched those little screws.

Unless they've done something different, all those annoying screws do is hold the rotor to the hub and get frozen. Somewhat redundant when the wheel and lugnuts keep the rotor in place once torqued down. Once the wheel and lugnuts are on, those little screws do nothing.

Wife's Accord needs new brakes, will be looking forward to dealing with those little screws.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

I just replaced my rear brakes as well, but had a hard time with this accord. I couldn't get the caliper brackets off. Those 14mm bolts in back were hard to reach, and my sockets wouldn't fit over the upper bolt as there was another screw thread from the suspension arms just above that got in the way. I eventually got everything out with some patience, PB blaster, and pipes to extend the smaller breaker bar (My large wouldn't fit).

Now concerning the little philips screws on the rotors. There is an easy way to remove those. You need an impact driver (comes with an impact socket set usually). looks like a giant screwdriver made of metal. You basically put in the screw like a normal screw driver and pound the back end with a hammer. It transfers some of the impact force into torque on the screw. Usually a couple of "wacks" and they come loose. I had trouble with one side and the otherside came out like butter. There are plenty of videos on you tube showing this procedure.

I would also use the threaded screw holes as mentioned to remove a stuck rotor from the hub. Make sure you thread two screws into the holes and tighten them both equally until the rotors pops off.

2008 Accord coupe v6 6mt
HFP skirts
post #10 of 17 Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Original Honda M6 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionfiggar View Post
I just replaced my rear brakes as well, but had a hard time with this accord. I couldn't get the caliper brackets off. Those 14mm bolts in back were hard to reach, and my sockets wouldn't fit over the upper bolt as there was another screw thread from the suspension arms just above that got in the way. I eventually got everything out with some patience, PB blaster, and pipes to extend the smaller breaker bar (My large wouldn't fit).

Now concerning the little philips screws on the rotors. There is an easy way to remove those. You need an impact driver (comes with an impact socket set usually). looks like a giant screwdriver made of metal. You basically put in the screw like a normal screw driver and pound the back end with a hammer. It transfers some of the impact force into torque on the screw. Usually a couple of "wacks" and they come loose. I had trouble with one side and the otherside came out like butter. There are plenty of videos on you tube showing this procedure.

I would also use the threaded screw holes as mentioned to remove a stuck rotor from the hub. Make sure you thread two screws into the holes and tighten them both equally until the rotors pops off.
yeah, the large bolts holding on the caliper bracket were a pain. the 10mm ones holding the actual caliper were also not fun to deal with... highly recommend using a breaker bar and an extender is a must.

as far as the screws go, the impact driver only worked on one of the rotor screws that were stuck. the others had to be drilled out, or they came out on their own with some help from a breaker bar.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Yup, just drill them out. They're set screws for the factory line. You don't need them now.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus31 View Post
got 'er done. wound up moving up to a 3/8 drill bit for about 5 minutes, then pounded on the inside of the rotor with a hammer and the s*cker popped right off.

d*mn you, honda!!

new rotors and pads installed:

here's the front being installed by my buddy

Where di you buy your pads from?
post #13 of 17 Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Original Honda M6 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccrazied4 View Post
Where di you buy your pads from?
brakemotive76 on ebay. $188 for all four rotors and eight ceramic pads. killer deal i think, but i'll reserve judgment on performance until a little later. so far so good!

post #14 of 17 Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 AM
4th Gear

how is the quality?

car: 09 accord coupe ex-l v6 blue belize pearl
post #15 of 17 Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 AM
3rd Gear

When I put new rotors on my Accords, I replace the screws with new ones and lubricate the threads. It makes the job of seating the caliper easier and I like how the rotor is locked down evenly to the hub.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.