2008 Accord-Fouled spark plug, check engine light, VSA light and stalling and shaking - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2008 Accord-Fouled spark plug, check engine light, VSA light and stalling and shaking

Experts,
Infamous V6 issue hit my wife's car this mroning. She started her car this morning and engine check light and VSA light glowed. Car started shaking and stalled.

Car had never any issues till now. It was running perfectly. Lately consuming a bit more oil than usual. Always serviced on time and driven the way it should be.

It has 78K miles on it. Took it to the dealer. He told me $113 for check up and then additional parts and labor. I told him that I have extended warrenty till 80k miles. After three hours of waiting the service adviser tell me that cylinder 3 spark plug has been relaced.

Meanwhile I was going through threads and found this:

I showed him and he still was trying to charge me $$$. After talking to his manager, everything got covered under warrenty and the bulletin also asks for a PCM update, so I had them do it too which they didn't do it in the first place.

Just got the car back after losing half of the workday waiting and sitting.

My question is:
Is it a relaibility issue with the VCM v6 Honda engines or it should be considered normal at 78K. Sparkplugs are supposed to work till 105K miles.

This has really gotten me worried. My wife is moving to Houston from DFW tonight (I've already moved), and worried if something goes wrong on the way.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
7th Gear

Sounds like a vacuum hose came loose.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear

Its a reliability issue. I have had this issue for a few months now. check out my threads:

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue with my car?

08 EX-L Navi V6 Check Engine Light Issues

My Continuing CEL issues

post #4 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Sounds like a vacuum hose came loose.
Did you even read the OP?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindbad View Post
Experts,
Infamous V6 issue hit my wife's car this mroning. She started her car this morning and engine check light and VSA light glowed. Car started shaking and stalled.

Car had never any issues till now. It was running perfectly. Lately consuming a bit more oil than usual. Always serviced on time and driven the way it should be.

It has 78K miles on it. Took it to the dealer. He told me $113 for check up and then additional parts and labor. I told him that I have extended warrenty till 80k miles. After three hours of waiting the service adviser tell me that cylinder 3 spark plug has been relaced.

Meanwhile I was going through threads and found this:

I showed him and he still was trying to charge me $$$. After talking to his manager, everything got covered under warrenty and the bulletin also asks for a PCM update, so I had them do it too which they didn't do it in the first place.

Just got the car back after losing half of the workday waiting and sitting.

My question is:
Is it a relaibility issue with the VCM v6 Honda engines or it should be considered normal at 78K. Sparkplugs are supposed to work till 105K miles.

This has really gotten me worried. My wife is moving to Houston from DFW tonight (I've already moved), and worried if something goes wrong on the way.
There is also another TBS about this, it all comes down to updating the ECM/PCM firmware and replacing the VCM modulator from premature failure.

Search, TBS 11-033 also.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #6 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aN4rk1 View Post
Its a reliability issue. I have had this issue for a few months now. check out my threads:

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue with my car?

08 EX-L Navi V6 Check Engine Light Issues

My Continuing CEL issues
You post is worrying me now!!!
post #7 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Metalic View Post
There is also another TBS about this, it all comes down to updating the ECM/PCM firmware and replacing the VCM modulator from premature failure.

Search, TBS 11-033 also.
Thanks. Dang, I wish I could have found this earlier.

I will see the paperwork and see what code came out when they were diagonsing the Engine Check light. I will post it soon.

The car is paid off. It looks as new as day one. I don't wanna go back on payments. I bought the 2012 VW CC 10 months ago and has no issues. If Honda is giving up on me, Ican just imagine about the VW nightmare!!!Fingers crossed...........
post #8 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Check engine light codes

oKAY.........i GOT THE CODES.......So far I can only understand one code.
and sorry, It was a cylinder #1 misfire.....not #3

Here are the codes listed on the data sheet.

CODE 117FO.4
CODE 123505.61.00
CODE PO301 (I CAN FIND INF ON THIS ONLY)
CODE U10122

What are they?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
vossenwheels.com

My ECU was replaced after this problem I was having, I didn't experience any shaking etc but car wouldn't go over 3k rpms. Then again I'm not sure if this is the same problem your having.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Here is the pic my wife took when engine light glowed.

Here is the paper that dealer gave my wife. It has codes listed.

79589 is the mileage by the way

Can some one please tell me what each code means?

Thanks.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 04:19 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdseven95 View Post
Did you even read the OP?
Sure did.

Thanks for asking.
It still sounds like a vacuum hose came loose.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #12 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 AM
The Scratcher

Ill be honest, don't put to much thought into it, your car will probably run fine after this mishap, extend your warranty once more if that's possible just for peace of mind.

If it REALLY bothers you, you can always sell it ^^.

-2010 V6 Coupe-
-Focal 165VRS speakers/Focal 33v2 Subwoofer/Alpine CDA 9887 headunit/Lrx 2.4 Audison Amp/Lots of deadening-
post #13 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Sure did.

Thanks for asking.
It still sounds like a vacuum hose came loose.
Yes, a PCV or Purge hose being loose would make the engine run bad.

Once a CEL happens with VCM depending on condition, limp mode will stay triggered.

Possible faulty ECM can be a cause also.

To answer the OP questions... It is normal for early 8th gens to get issues with VCM. It is because mostly because of old ECM/PCM firmware.

Since they replaced the plug... They dint update your firmware???

Talk with the service manager ASAP, they should have done a firmware update along with the diagnosis. You should not have any more ECM/PCM issues related with old firmware once they complete the F/W update.

You should notice an improvement over what you had before your engine symptoms.

I have an 09' and enjoy it though it is low on its mileage.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #14 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

So i just came from the dealer with the same problem, even showed them the service bulliten, but they did not cover my spark plug replacement. I even spoke to the service manager and showed her the bulliten. They stated " this isnt a recall and spark plugs are a wear item." im planning on writting to corporate as well as the ceo of the dealership but would lije some advice on what to write. My car is a 08 with 80k mile and was bought as a cpo car 2 years ago.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.