Question: HPS silicone hoses, has anyone attempted - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Question Question: HPS silicone hoses, has anyone attempted

I'm interested in changing the stock hoses to HPS hoses in my 09 4 cyl. and noticed nobody makes a kit. So I decided to embark on this project and see if I could piece together the hoses myself.

First, has anyone done anything like this? experience is far superior to book knowledge.

I can see that the only special bends in the hoses are from the power steering to the block to bypass the belt, hopefully I can find a similar hose bend.

I count at least 8 - 10 hoses, not including the ac lines, that I want to change; some vacuum hose others coolant hoses, etc... I know the lengths for all of the hoses are less than 3'.
I'm just not sure of the hose diameter, that's why I wanted to see if you guys had any info on this.

input and comments please!

Car: 09 EX-l i4. Mods: Injen short ram intake || Red P2R TB spacer || Tenzo- R concept 9 wheels || Tein Street Advanced Coilovers || SPC 3-arm camber kit & ball joints || NRG Carbon fiber muffler || Sprint Booster || Mugen floor mats || gradient tail-light tint || JL Audio 10" x 2, 500 watt sub-woofer system || Mugen oil cap || Blox plate covers || Optima battery || Mesh-grille w/ green R.C. LEDs || white LED fogs || green LED interior lighting.
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Corvalis TTX

Never heard of anyone doing this. What's wrong with the OEM hoses?

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #3 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 AM
7th Gear

I agree with Mark.

Why do you want to stray away from what the car was designed for, in an area no one see's?

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS

post #4 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 AM
3rd Gear

Another vote for why? I've never had any problems with OEM hoses. I even use run-of-the-mill rubber hoses on high HP V8's. Over the years, I've only owned one car that had silicone hoses........it was my beater Crown Vic. It was a low miles P71 (aka Police Interceptor) that I could not pass up. I wondered why it had blue hoses, I came to find out that the P71 could be ordered with a heavy silicone hose and aircraft type clamp option.....it was like a $300 option and they were supposed to last a lifetime.

'10 EX-L V6 Coupe (SOLD)
'14 Toyota Avalon Limited w/ Tech
'05 Toyota Avalon Touring
'02 Chevy Suburban LT
'71 Camaro SS (406SBC w/ Tremec TKO 5-speed)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'74 Corvette (full body off resto in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 AM
5th Gear

I also agree that the factory hoses are best. I usually change the top/bottom coolant hoses out every 4 years and replace them with the correct ones. It's not that much money if you tackle it yourself.

2011 Accord Sedan LX 5-spd Alabaster Silver
Acura rear sway bar 17mm upgrade
Keeping it stock hoping to run it 200,000 miles.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM
banned

[QUOTE=Quicky;960505]I'm interested in changing the stock hoses to HPS hoses in my 09 4 cyl. and noticed nobody makes a kit. So I decided to embark on this project and see if I could piece together the hoses myself.

First, has anyone done anything like this? experience is far superior to book knowledge.

I can see that the only special bends in the hoses are from the power steering to the block to bypass the belt, hopefully I can find a similar hose bend.

I count at least 8 - 10 hoses, not including the ac lines, that I want to change; some vacuum hose others coolant hoses, etc... I know the lengths for all of the hoses are less than 3'.
I'm just not sure of the hose diameter, that's why I wanted to see if you guys had any info on this.

Did a quick search.
Check out horsepower freaks, 128 for two samco silicon hoses, top and bottom. Call them to double check on application for you're specific make and model, although i did find them under 2010 accord. And make sure to change the clips holding the hose to the radiator they are garbage use the screw type clamps. You may be the first, do a write up or at least a review very interested, may be in my near future. Good luck.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Out of Control

A lot of factory OEM hoses now a days are made with silicon or at least some form of synthetic rubber (EPDM ), that is why they last so long now, have not checked Honda's but bet they are .

Ed

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
post #8 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

My reasoning is because I don't like the stock hoses especially after some discoloration on a couple hoses. I want a different cleaner look in the engine bay is all. Its the same reason why people get new wheels or a nose job, aesthetics and a poor self-image haha.

But I appreciate the responses

Car: 09 EX-l i4. Mods: Injen short ram intake || Red P2R TB spacer || Tenzo- R concept 9 wheels || Tein Street Advanced Coilovers || SPC 3-arm camber kit & ball joints || NRG Carbon fiber muffler || Sprint Booster || Mugen floor mats || gradient tail-light tint || JL Audio 10" x 2, 500 watt sub-woofer system || Mugen oil cap || Blox plate covers || Optima battery || Mesh-grille w/ green R.C. LEDs || white LED fogs || green LED interior lighting.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
2008 Accord Coupe EX

nothing wrong with doin this, iv seen it many time on custom cars
post #10 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicky View Post
My reasoning is because I don't like the stock hoses especially after some discoloration on a couple hoses. I want a different cleaner look in the engine bay is all. Its the same reason why people get new wheels or a nose job, aesthetics and a poor self-image haha.

But I appreciate the responses
You can see the wheels and a nose job.

Unless you drive around with no hood on your car, no one can see the hoses.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #11 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post

quite simply it depends on your end objective. hose replacement isn't going to add any function gains, but if you ever show your car or are just interested in improved looks this can be an impacting mod. i happen to think that artema's engine bay looks awesome and shows a remarkable attention to detail...

2011 CBP Sedan EX-L V6 |

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/FXR xBa Halo/Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
post #12 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
quite simply it depends on your end objective. hose replacement isn't going to add any function gains, but if you ever show your car or are just interested in improved looks this can be an impacting mod. i happen to think that artema's engine bay looks awesome and shows a remarkable attention to detail...

Different strokes.

I have no intention of showing my car, so mods under the hood are a waste of money to me.
If OP does plan to show it, then it is a whole different story. He made no mention of showing the car in his post.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #13 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Does driving with the hood propped open count?
post #14 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Michael

There are several hoses we can replace. The 5/16 hoses I HAD to replace because of the riser from the Acura MDX stretched them and I felt it was very unsafe to allow them to be pulled like a rubber band. I put reinforced silicone hoses from Z1 Motorsports pretty much everywhere they would fit, even places that weren't stretched. You can see that in the picture DOOM posted earlier. The larger coolant lines are not replaceable. We would need a custom made setup, and it doesn't exist as far as I know.

Quote:
Different strokes.

I have no intention of showing my car, so mods under the hood are a waste of money to me.
If OP does plan to show it, then it is a whole different story. He made no mention of showing the car in his post.
I'm glad you have something to contribute to this topic!

/

/

post #15 of 20 Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
There are several hoses we can replace. The 5/16 hoses I HAD to replace because of the riser from the Acura MDX stretched them and I felt it was very unsafe to allow them to be pulled like a rubber band. I put reinforced silicone hoses from Z1 Motorsports pretty much everywhere they would fit, even places that weren't stretched. You can see that in the picture DOOM posted earlier. The larger coolant lines are not replaceable. We would need a custom made setup, and it doesn't exist as far as I know.

I'm glad you have something to contribute to this topic!
I'm sorry, I thought this was an open forum. You seem to have a bug up your butt following my posts around making the above statement.
Painted my brake calipers

or maybe I should ask your opinion before I post something in anyone's thread?

If you don't like my posts, report them or ignore them.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
Advertisement

Tags
hps, silicone hoses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.