switch size 35 battery to 51R and save 10 lbs - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
port & polish everything

switch size 35 battery to 51R and save 10 lbs

i think the PZEV i4 uses size 35, my factory battery was marked 440 CCA.

i ordered the smaller battery bracket and bought a Costco 51R, which is oddly marked 500 CCA.

the original size 35 battery weighs ~35 lbs, the 51R weighs ~26 lbs.

I am not quite sure why the smaller, lighter 51R battery is rated so much higher than the OEM size 35.
The car starts fine obviously but i am in socal and the weather is great.

Just a quick tip if you want to reduce weight if you are replacing the battery anyways.

2003 LX eternal blue sedan - tsx intake manifold, dc sports header, fujita cold air intake, hondata and p2r heatshields, tls rear sway bar, 6mt strut bar, brembo rotors
2007 SE cool blue sedan - p2r heatshield, k&n drop in, no resonator
2010 LX-S belize blue coupe - bored throttle body, ported runners, hps silicone intake, aem drop in, tsx rear sway bar, ktuner.com
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

This is not a place to try and save weight...go bigger and heavier...at least 600 cca...trust me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #3 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 AM
08 Coupe owner

Smaller? My piece of crap OEM battery didn't last 60k miles. No way. I upgraded to the larger V6 battery.

Rather have a car that cranks and works than be the guy who can say "Yea, my battery is smaller than yours"

post #4 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 AM
I Drive An Automatic ;D

its because not all manufactuers make everything equal.

i upgraded to the bigger size as the v6s but i got a duralast gold battery rated at 900 cc.

2008 Accord EX i4
Basque Red Pearl
Lots Of Mods ;)
post #5 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 AM
'10 Accord LX-S Coupe

I'll do ya one better: I can lay off the Diet Coke and loose 20lbs!

BTW, there's only something like 3 battery manufacturers in the US......so no matter what the 'name' is, they're more than likely all made by the same company.

2010 LX-S Coupe w/Rear Lip Spoiler, WeatherTech Vent Shades & All Weather Floor Trays and Dark Tint. LOVE MY ACCORD!!! :)
post #6 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Battery manufacturer doesn't make too much of a difference ..it's the size that matters ....the batt sizevHonda puts in these cars is just terrible ...it's made for a tractor or Gold wing motorcycle . Replaced mine 2 weeks after delivery, the batt makes a great batt to bench test 12v stuff, nice and small....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Michael

I have a group 35 that weighs 31.7 pounds and has 910 cranking amps. I definitely recommend better batteries than what Honda provides!

/

/

post #8 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 AM
2nd Gear

I just put in a DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 35 that weigh 50 lbs. I guess I need to exercise to loose weight.

By the way, it fits perfectly with a flatten of the two fingers that hold the old half-sized battery.

2008 Sedan EX-L4 99k, burns oil 1/2qts every 1.5k miles
post #9 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outersquare View Post
i think the PZEV i4 uses size 35, my factory battery was marked 440 CCA.

i ordered the smaller battery bracket and bought a Costco 51R, which is oddly marked 500 CCA.

the original size 35 battery weighs ~35 lbs, the 51R weighs ~26 lbs.

I am not quite sure why the smaller, lighter 51R battery is rated so much higher than the OEM size 35.
The car starts fine obviously but i am in socal and the weather is great.

Just a quick tip if you want to reduce weight if you are replacing the battery anyways.
I saved 15lbs on removing, hood gas struts, rear head rests, rear center belt, air resonator and incompetent CAI inlet . I kept my heavy battery as I paid only $10 for an I4 hood rod, rod clip and grommet.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #10 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Metalic View Post
I saved 15lbs on removing, hood gas struts, rear head rests, rear center belt, air resonator and incompetent CAI inlet . I kept my heavy battery as I paid only $10 for an I4 hood rod, rod clip and grommet.
personal preference, but i love the hood struts and the feature loss for minimal weight reduction seems a step backwards. i can't imagine feeling any gains from 15 pounds - a full tank would negate this savings by far.

2011 CBP Sedan EX-L V6 |

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/FXR xBa Halo/Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
post #11 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
personal preference, but i love the hood struts and the feature loss for minimal weight reduction seems a step backwards. i can't imagine feeling any gains from 15 pounds - a full tank would negate this savings by far.
Extreme cold temps make them useless after time. A hood rod has never let me down, or should I say my hood. :o)

Hood struts weigh at least 3x as much as a hood rod and need replacement time to time. I just saved over $50.00 for the life of my car.

Also 15lbs is just the tip of the iceberg, if looking to remove weight. I just wanted to show that small items that are often over looked can add up.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #12 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordroch View Post
I just put in a DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 35 that weigh 50 lbs. I guess I need to exercise to loose weight.

By the way, it fits perfectly with a flatten of the two fingers that hold the old half-sized battery.

Exactly what you should do instead of buying all the v6 batt holder stuff

post #13 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Wisdom Born of Age

My PZEV I4 also came with Group 35 and when the time comes I will replace it with the biggest 35 I can find. Those of you who wan to reduce weight, perhaps I can help, I am a Weight Watchers leader and have lost over 75lbs since buying my 08 Accord.

2008 Honda Accord LX-P Sedan Taffeta White
  • XB35 4500K Morimoto HID
  • Morimoto H1 Retrofit
  • Ultra Racing Upper Strut Bar
  • TSX Rear Sway Bar
  • Spyder LED Tail Light w/Tubes
  • PUTCO LED Dome Light Kit
  • Chrome grill overlay
  • Odyssey Lower Grill
  • Stainless steel door sills
  • Crosstour Leather Shift Knob
  • EX-L "Wood" Interior
  • Llumar High Performance 35% Tint
  • Rear Lip

Squirrels ...............nature's speed bump
post #14 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
I agree. That long metal rod that holds it up now can't weigh much less than these two light struts.

/

/

post #15 of 16 Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
port & polish everything

So far this is still good, no problems atleast in a fair weather region. The LX-S doesn't have many electrical accessories anyways.
It helps handling more than acceleration.

10 lbs doesn't seem much on the face of it, until you consider where that 10 lbs sits, on the very front end of the car, past the front axle, on a front heavy car.

I haven't bothered number crunching, but from a moment of inertia perspective, it's probably significant.

I'm 6' even and weigh 150 lbs, I don't have much weight left to lose.

BTW, the nissan GTR uses a 51R battery stock also. :P

2003 LX eternal blue sedan - tsx intake manifold, dc sports header, fujita cold air intake, hondata and p2r heatshields, tls rear sway bar, 6mt strut bar, brembo rotors
2007 SE cool blue sedan - p2r heatshield, k&n drop in, no resonator
2010 LX-S belize blue coupe - bored throttle body, ported runners, hps silicone intake, aem drop in, tsx rear sway bar, ktuner.com
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.