DIY: Power Steering Fluid Change, 8th Gen Accord - video - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

DIY: Power Steering Fluid Change, 8th Gen Accord - video

Here's a link to the DIY video of the power steering fluid change, as documented in the Honda service manual.

Lots of other DIY videos on my channel. If you like it, please subscribe.

'09 EX-L V6 Coupe 6MT ASM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for making the video for us Todd!

post #3 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 PM
3rd Gear

Todd,
Thanks for another great video, I've seen them all and have learned alot. My question is would it be ok to lift the front so the wheels are just off the ground?

2010 LXP
2006 CRV SE

post #4 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennj View Post
Todd,
Thanks for another great video, I've seen them all and have learned alot. My question is would it be ok to lift the front so the wheels are just off the ground?
Yeah, that's not a bad idea.

'09 EX-L V6 Coupe 6MT ASM

post #5 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Out of Control

nice video, is that what honda says to do it ?

As posted above I normally raise car so no weight is on wheels and then turn wheels all the way to each end and hold pressure a bit to get ride of air, then turn to other direction an repeat .

Also what you could do is at the point you had the bucket, you could of caped off that other nipple and fill PS tank up with fresh fluid, that might help flushing a bit (kind of like you do with brake flush as you don't really want to run PS pump dry for long) .

Ed

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
post #6 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

Great video. A full flush is the best way to do it, but I've also done what I call the 3x re-fresh method. With a clean turkey baster, remove all the old PS fluid from the reservior, fill with fresh PS fluid, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock twice, shut the car off.....repeat the process two more times. It's the same theory as the 3x auto trans fluid change method.

'10 EX-L V6 Coupe (SOLD)
'14 Toyota Avalon Limited w/ Tech
'05 Toyota Avalon Touring
'02 Chevy Suburban LT
'71 Camaro SS (406SBC w/ Tremec TKO 5-speed)

'74 Corvette (full body off resto in progress)

post #7 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
4th Gear

Another great Hittman instructional video!
post #8 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Hondaracer4vtec

Send a message via AIM to hondaracer4vtec
Hey hittman!!

Great job, another great vid!!

But some pointers to doing this just like Accord08 said.

should lift it up so both sides are up in the air so that when you turn the wheels less friction on the PS pump.

Also when taking out the return line from the resv. you can also take out the bigger hose and remove the whole thing to clean it out good in there.

Next thing i did when i did mine was taking a 3/8 Inside diameter hose and a stopper (a plug) added to the return line on the resv. then hooked back the big hose to the top. now you have a circle... fill the resv with fresh fluid to the top (didnt care about the max line) and then had someone do just what you did... start the car and let it run and turn side to side... but doing it this way no air is in the PS system. and once the Resv gets down to the bottom i added another quart as the pump was returning the oil.

You can see the difference from old to new oil. then just turn the car off once that second bottle is almost down to the bottom. catch the oil from the return line (resv) un plug it and then attach the oem resv line back up and secure the connections back to stock and your good to go.

2008 Accord NBP 6-6 (mine)
2008 Accord TW V6 Sedan (family's)
2003 E500 Silver on Black (lil big bro)
2004 Mercedes CLK500 (sold) (mine)
2000 Accord Coupe ex 2.3L (lil brother's)
1998 Accord Sedan ex-l v6 (dad's)
post #9 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
3rd Gear

how do u lift the front part of the car up? With the tire jack in the trunk or do u need some other equipment? Where would u mount it to lift both sides of the front up?

how much would a dealer charge for this service?
post #10 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear

At what point is this needed? 08 seems a bit early.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Hondaracer4vtec

Send a message via AIM to hondaracer4vtec
every 3 years is good to flush the PS oil out.

Also if your going to diy you really need to get good tools, that little jack in the trunk isnt good enough. check out Hittman's other videos you will see the jack and jack stands he uses.

2008 Accord NBP 6-6 (mine)
2008 Accord TW V6 Sedan (family's)
2003 E500 Silver on Black (lil big bro)
2004 Mercedes CLK500 (sold) (mine)
2000 Accord Coupe ex 2.3L (lil brother's)
1998 Accord Sedan ex-l v6 (dad's)
post #12 of 20 Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
5th Gear

Informative video. I'm curious as to why you bothered changing this fluid. The manual makes no mention of it. I suppose it could be a valuable 100k maintenance item, but I'm not understanding the necessity at this stage.

2010 Accord EX-L V6 PMM Sedan (w/o nav)
My First Honda!

X-tour shiftknob
Philips HIR 9012 Low Beams
post #13 of 20 Old 07-07-2012, 05:25 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerex View Post
Great video. A full flush is the best way to do it, but I've also done what I call the 3x re-fresh method. With a clean turkey baster, remove all the old PS fluid from the reservior, fill with fresh PS fluid, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock twice, shut the car off.....repeat the process two more times. It's the same theory as the 3x auto trans fluid change method.
I like this method better because, although longer, it prevents air from getting into the system and less chance you will screw something up.

It's also a cleaner method.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Resident Critic

How many bottles did you end up using? I counted 3 in the video.

Also, after the draining the reservoir, how much more fluid escaped from the system when you had your assistant start the car and allow the pump to run until dry.

Personally I am not a fan of running the car until the pump goes dry, but it is the Honda approved the service procedure.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Accord Power

Is there anything in the power steering system that would get damaged by a machine flush?

Advertisement

Tags
change, fluid, flush, power, steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.