Takeda Short Ram Intake or Injen Cold Air Intake? (2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Smile Takeda Short Ram Intake or Injen Cold Air Intake? (2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6)

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and I just recently bought a 2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6.
One of the first mods I would like to do is get a new intake.
Would you guys recommend a Takeda Short Ram Intake or Injen Cold Air Intake and why?
Which gives more horsepower and torque?
Which sounds better?
Which is better for the engine overall?
Thanks!

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Michael

There are tons of topics on this, but I'll give you a quick rundown.

For top end speed, the CAI is ideal, but has more chances of pulling water into your engine in flash floods. Because of that I can't use it.

For low end power, which I prefer, the SRI is ideal. People also claim it sounds better, but I have not compared.

Also, you can check out my topic about how I converted my V6 Takeda SRI into something custom, I'm calling a Cold Ram Intake

Cold Ram Intake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

/

post #3 of 16 Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you very much! Helped a lot! Btw your car looks so clean!

post #4 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 AM
2008 ex-l i4 PMM Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
There are tons of topics on this, but I'll give you a quick rundown.

For top end speed, the CAI is ideal, but has more chances of pulling water into your engine in flash floods. Because of that I can't use it.

For low end power, which I prefer, the SRI is ideal. People also claim it sounds better, but I have not compared.

Also, you can check out my topic about how I converted my V6 Takeda SRI into something custom, I'm calling a Cold Ram Intake

Cold Ram Intake
I know I have a i4 so won't see much gains in either two I bet...but which ones better for an i4....? Are you saying that SRI good for start acceleration and the CAI is good for top end speed, as if your already at highway speeds and want to pass a truck faster ?
I also heard there is a shield for any water issues for the CAI...from AEM product I guess...but again I hear people saying for it to get bad the cone or filter has to be almost submerged in water.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 AM
banned

I would recommend staying away from cold air intake, you do run a chance of hydro-locking your engine.
Short air intake is the way to go, some say it only makes noise but if you try it you'll see a slight increase usually in response.
And finally i recommend K & N, it might be a little more but the filter is reusable, as opposed to other filters that need to be replaced which can get expensive over time.
Not fact, opinion based on experience.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe7 View Post
And finally i recommend K & N, it might be a little more but the filter is reusable, as opposed to other filters that need to be replaced which can get expensive over time.
Not fact, opinion based on experience.
While some people get along with K&N's and have for years, most knowledgeable people avoid them like the plague. I'm guilty of falling prey to the marketing hype years ago w/ my 300zx and using a K&N and preaching it's praise. Here's a link to a test done by an independent gear head that had access to the proper test equipment for air filter testing. Personally, AEM dryFlow or Vibrant DryFlow are the options I like to utilize w/ an intake setup. Otherwise, simply changing the stock paper filter once a year is a simple, but good/cheap practice to help insure your car's efficiency.

One of the more damning statements from the report above is:
Quote:
After only 24 minutes the K&N had
accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly
3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt.

Current Stable-
~'10 Accord Coupe PMM w/Ivory EX-L V6 (pur. 8.24.10) -

~'92 Mercedes 190e i-6 183k miles (1 family ownership)

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
post #7 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
While some people get along with K&N's and have for years, most knowledgeable people avoid them like the plague. I'm guilty of falling prey to the marketing hype years ago w/ my 300zx and using a K&N and preaching it's praise. Here's a link to a test done by an independent gear head that had access to the proper test equipment for air filter testing. Personally, AEM dryFlow or Vibrant DryFlow are the options I like to utilize w/ an intake setup. Otherwise, simply changing the stock paper filter once a year is a simple, but good/cheap practice to help insure your car's efficiency.
The stock paper filter once a year is 100% correct.
I actually am using K N drop in filter now. No noticeable difference, haven't had any issues if i do i will post about it. AEM is a solid product............

Welcome to the air intake battle royale, where we force K&N Intakes and AEM Intakes to fight to the death…or at least until we have a clear winner holding the title of “Best intake for your auto." At face value, there are some similarities between these two fighters—both pack incredible pipes with the testing and training an intake needs to be a champion. We suspect the subtle differences are where the fight will be won; expect neither to be knocked out but rather jabbed into a bloody, stumbling, slurred submission.

In the black, red and orange corner we have K&N, the taller, heavier, more established fighter of the two. Sure, they’ve been slugging it out with other contenders for more than 30 years, much like an aged and grizzled fighter like Evander Holyfield. But, unlike Holyfield, K&N is sharper than ever, still packs quite a wallop, has their ears intact, and nobody is begging them to quit for their own good. K&N’s advantage comes from not only being the undisputed champion intake, but also from being the brand that practically invented the sport.

AEM struts in as the challenger; a slimmer, faster, younger fighter sporting flashy red and yellow trunks. Buoyed by newer technology and plenty of support in the sport compact realm, AEM’s plan is to take the lumbering K&N with speed, quickness and quality punches. This challenger firmly believes they’re ushering in a new era of intake performance, design and maintenance.

The bell rings, and the two intake brands dance toward each other. They come together, and K&N lands a nice two-punch combination to the nose and jaw, thanks to their intake tubes. Their crosslink material tubes, available on the vaunted FIPK 57 Series and 63 Series Air Charger intakes, keep the incoming volumes of air much cooler than the metal tubes used with every AEM. Not to mention the price—crosslink plastic tubing helps a kit cost less. But, AEM relies on its smooth footwork to land a stinging gut shot, thanks to the dressy look of their pipes, which are slightly nicer in terms of engine compartment looks even when pitted against K&N’s 69 and 77 Series.

AEM also rallies to run K&N into the corner with Brute Force, their brawny truck and SUV intake that’s gaining street cred by the minute. But, K&N escapes damage by striking AEM with their 69 series—an unlikely point on the card for the veteran. Though AEM has the sport compact high ground, most of the 69 Series is able to be configured as a short ram intake or a cold air intake drawing from the wheel well. Then K&N drills AEM in the eye with filter technology, setting off suffocating swelling. K&N’s cotton-gauze with oil filtration system uses its time-tested formula and 1,000,000-mile warranty to land a big blow over AEM’s struggling bid to equal cotton-gauze performance with an oil-less filter.

Round and round they go, trading jabs and the occasional slug that re-engages the crowd to this clash of now-tiring titans. As the 12th and final round passes with many a fist thrown but few landed, the judges must go to the scorecard. Though AEM takes rounds judged on compact performance and looks under the hood, K&N wins the battle by decision with an extra 4hp on the dyno for the F-150 with a 5.4L V8, which happened to be the judges’ trucks. The cooler crosslink tube (which also costs less) helped put K&N over the top of AEM here, making it the current undisputed belt holder for intake performance. But, AEM will likely return soon with some new moves in its quest for the title.

When you need to pick a cold air intake vying for the title, go with a champion like the K&N Cold Air Intake, or a smart, up-and-coming contender like the AEM Cold Air Intake.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
The stock paper filter once a year is 100% correct.
I actually am using K N drop in filter now. No noticeable difference, haven't had any issues if i do i will post about it. AEM is a solid product............

Welcome to the air intake battle royale, where we force K&N Intakes and AEM Intakes to fight to the death…or at least until we have a clear winner holding the title of “Best intake for your auto." At face value, there are some similarities between these two fighters—both pack incredible pipes with the testing and training an intake needs to be a champion. We suspect the subtle differences are where the fight will be won; expect neither to be knocked out but rather jabbed into a bloody, stumbling, slurred submission.

In the black, red and orange corner we have K&N, the taller, heavier, more established fighter of the two. Sure, they’ve been slugging it out with other contenders for more than 30 years, much like an aged and grizzled fighter like Evander Holyfield. But, unlike Holyfield, K&N is sharper than ever, still packs quite a wallop, has their ears intact, and nobody is begging them to quit for their own good. K&N’s advantage comes from not only being the undisputed champion intake, but also from being the brand that practically invented the sport.

AEM struts in as the challenger; a slimmer, faster, younger fighter sporting flashy red and yellow trunks. Buoyed by newer technology and plenty of support in the sport compact realm, AEM’s plan is to take the lumbering K&N with speed, quickness and quality punches. This challenger firmly believes they’re ushering in a new era of intake performance, design and maintenance.

The bell rings, and the two intake brands dance toward each other. They come together, and K&N lands a nice two-punch combination to the nose and jaw, thanks to their intake tubes. Their crosslink material tubes, available on the vaunted FIPK 57 Series and 63 Series Air Charger intakes, keep the incoming volumes of air much cooler than the metal tubes used with every AEM. Not to mention the price—crosslink plastic tubing helps a kit cost less. But, AEM relies on its smooth footwork to land a stinging gut shot, thanks to the dressy look of their pipes, which are slightly nicer in terms of engine compartment looks even when pitted against K&N’s 69 and 77 Series.

AEM also rallies to run K&N into the corner with Brute Force, their brawny truck and SUV intake that’s gaining street cred by the minute. But, K&N escapes damage by striking AEM with their 69 series—an unlikely point on the card for the veteran. Though AEM has the sport compact high ground, most of the 69 Series is able to be configured as a short ram intake or a cold air intake drawing from the wheel well. Then K&N drills AEM in the eye with filter technology, setting off suffocating swelling. K&N’s cotton-gauze with oil filtration system uses its time-tested formula and 1,000,000-mile warranty to land a big blow over AEM’s struggling bid to equal cotton-gauze performance with an oil-less filter.

Round and round they go, trading jabs and the occasional slug that re-engages the crowd to this clash of now-tiring titans. As the 12th and final round passes with many a fist thrown but few landed, the judges must go to the scorecard. Though AEM takes rounds judged on compact performance and looks under the hood, K&N wins the battle by decision with an extra 4hp on the dyno for the F-150 with a 5.4L V8, which happened to be the judges’ trucks. The cooler crosslink tube (which also costs less) helped put K&N over the top of AEM here, making it the current undisputed belt holder for intake performance. But, AEM will likely return soon with some new moves in its quest for the title.

When you need to pick a cold air intake vying for the title, go with a champion like the K&N Cold Air Intake, or a smart, up-and-coming contender like the AEM Cold Air Intake.
or you could just provide the link to the rant:

2011 CBP Sedan EX-L V6 |

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/FXR xBa Halo/Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
post #9 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
Really my point about K&N's...they don't live up to their hype.

The link I provided was not an opinion piece, nor marketing history/claims, or dyno performance comparisons...it was scientific, hard data about filtration and pass through rates over time. I'd much rather know that information, over time, as it's more indicative of how a filter will perform in a real world setting (in an auto) over time.

Like I said, I was blind to it at one time..and then I really started wondering about the pre-oiled filters and if it worked so well, why didn't OEM's start implementing such designs. Million mile warranties and all that jazz--leave it for the product boxes.

Arlen Spicer--
Quote:
“Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary, let me explain my motivation.
The reason I started this crusade was that I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket
filters based on the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or outright deceiving
information printed on boxes and in sales literature. Gentlemen and Ladies, Marketing and the lure of
profit is VERY POWERFUL! It is amazing how many people believe that better airflow = more power!
Unless you have modifications out the wazoo, a more porous filter will just dirty your oil! Some will say
" I have used aftermarket brand X for XXX # years with no problems. " The PROBLEM is you spent a
chunk of ching on a product that not only DID NOT increase your horsepower, but also let in a lot of dirt
while doing it! Now how much is a lot? ANY MORE THAN NECESSARY is TOO MUCH!

Others are persuaded by the claims of aftermarket manufacturers that their filters filter dirt "better than any other filter on the market."
Sounds very enticing. To small timers like you and me, spending $1500 to test a filter sounds like a lot. But if you were a filter manufacturer
and you believed your filter could filter dirt better than any other media on the market, wouldn't you want to prove it? Guess what. Test your
filter vs. the OE paper. It will cost you $3000 and for that price you will have the data that you can use in your advertisements. Your investment
will be returned a thousand fold! EASIER than shooting fish in a barrel! So why don't these manufacturers do this? Hmmm? Probably not because
they would feel guilty about taking more market share.

Now I am not saying that ALL aftermarket filters are useless. A paper filter does not do well if directly
wetted or muddy. It may collapse. This is why many off-road filters are foam. It is a compromise
between filtering efficiency and protection from a collapsed filter. Now how many of our trucks collapse
their filters from mud and water? However, if a filter is using "better airflow" as their marketing tool,
remember this....Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, Our trucks CAN'T
flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN
ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true
until the filter is dirty enough to trip the air filter life indicator. At that point performance will decline
somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it.

Current Stable-
~'10 Accord Coupe PMM w/Ivory EX-L V6 (pur. 8.24.10) -

~'92 Mercedes 190e i-6 183k miles (1 family ownership)

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
post #10 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
I would recommend staying away from cold air intake, you do run a chance of hydro-locking your engine.
What about the hydroshields? Do they work?
post #11 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanChank View Post
What about the hydroshields? Do they work?
If you're willing to take a used part, I have an Injen with hydro shield. I would just recommend getting a new filter for it.

2012 Legacy 2.5GT - Cobb Pro-tuned - 290whp / 350wtq
Past: 2008 Accord NBP 6-6 Coupe Injen intake for sale! PM for info!
post #12 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Michael

I haven't used the "hydroshield" but for those with Takeda, I definitely recommend the pre-filter. It keeps bigger stuff and dirt and water off the superior paper filter. Oiled filters aren't great (K&N).

/

/

post #13 of 16 Old 02-12-2016, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Garage
i heard that cold air intake actually doesnt add any benefits... to a certain extent its a myth.. carmods did a video on it, ran the numbers on the dyno i think.

i guess ppl get it for the looks?
post #14 of 16 Old 02-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Yea I modded my car again

I have added cold air intake to multiple cars.

94 v6 Ford probe, 2005 Mazda 6 v6, 2001 Acura 3.2 cls, cobalt ss supercharged, Nissan 350z, 2008 Acura TL type s 3.5l, and my 2008 Honda Accord 3.5 6/6

And I can tell you one thing, it's not a myth. Each car sounded better and made more power. No I will say on Some cars adding a cold air intake will only produce sound and barely any power. I watched a video specifically about adding a cai do a Honda S2000 and it made 3 Hp. But in general, cai are worth it

Cai is the first mod on any of my cars I have owned

I personally have only used Injen on my cars and it never fails to satisfy me. I put an arm v2 on my brothers Acura TL type s 3.5 auto, and it was incredible how it changed the car.

I used a knock off cai on my buddies Mazda 6 v6 manual and it throws a cel after 100km of driving.

From my experience you should go name brand to ensure no cel as the only one I have ever installed that was not a name brand continuously throws a cel.

As for worrying about sucking up water, fwiw you have to submerge the intake more than 50% to suck up water from what I've heard. And I had a cai on my cls and the filter touches the plastic panel. There was a flood here in Toronto a couple years ago and I was on the way to my grandpas house when the worst of it came. His court flooded and water was running from the steet like a river. I couldn't tell how deep it was. Thinking is was a couple inches I drove 4-5 mph into the court and car shut off at the worst point. I opened my door and water was 1 inch from entering the car itself. From that I can say the filter was certainly in water. I decided to start my car and it turned on and I rolled into grandpas driveway.

So I'd have to say unless you drive through a foot of water. A cold air intake should be of no concern

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Dyno Tuned Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line & powerlinks, P2R gaskets, Clutchmasters flywheel and clutch, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Takeda SRI, Unorthodox pulley, P2R pnp runners, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
post #15 of 16 Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Industrial Designer

You could always get a SRI *and* cut a hole in the hood ^_^

• ATLP J-Pipe
  • Custom Intake
  • K&N Drop-In Filter
  • Megan Racing Test Pipe
  • RV6 High-Flow Pre-Cats
  • P2R Throttle Body Spacer
    ---
  • Megan Racing EZII Coilovers
  • Progress 22mm Rear Sway Bar
  • SPC Performance Rear Camber Arms
    ---
  • 245/35-20 Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S
  • 20 x 8.5 Advanti Racing Hybris Wheels
Advertisement

Tags
honda accord coupe, injen, intake, takeda, white

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.