Steering Wheel Vibration - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Steering Wheel Vibration

Hey guys. I have a 2008 lxp on stock rims I bought used at 45000 miles. The dealer had two new tires on the back and the stock Dunlop s up front. A few weeks after I bought it I replaced the Dunlops to match the new tires. Since then, I had an on and off vibration in the steering wheel only at highway speed and above (65 mph and above). I had multiple laves balance the tires and align the car. Since it was still under warranty I dealt with the dealer a few times. They were never able to find a problem, though once they acknowledged it.

Now I'm at 70k, and I've replaced the tires to try to solve the issue there. The new ones were fine for a week, and now its back to the same issue. I've had them rebalanced, and the wheels checked. I asked the dealer about an axle, and they dismissed out, saying a bad axle would only vibrate under heavy acceleration, which this does not do. I know the rotors are good (new ebc ultimax). I love my car, but the vibration at highway speed is driving me crazy. With the old tires I felt the same vibration in the floor. With this bunch its only in the wheel. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Just wanted to give a little update in case anyone else has the same problem.. I took the car back to Dobbs (where I purchased the tires, local St. Louis tire place), and the service manager there was excellent. They road force balanced them, said they were perfect, and tried to find the vibration while driving it. They said they couldn't duplicate the issue. I took it as a sign of being fixed, and drove off.

As soon as I hit the interstate, I felt the vibration. I returned to the store, and the manager went for a ride with me. He actually admitted to the problem, which is the first time anyone has since it began (I no longer feel crazy). He said that tomorrow he will devote all of his time to making sure it isn't a tire or wheel. They plan on switching out the tires with a different set to see if the problem is still there. Then they will try a different set of wheels on the car to see if that fixes the problem. If neither of those work, they will dig into more of the front end (all for free).

One thing I noticed while have the driver's side wheel off the ground was that I could turn the wheel left and right (the same as if I turned the steering wheel left and right). I could only turn it a few degrees each way. I'm pretty confident I wasn't turning the passenger wheel with these, as it was still on the ground. Is this free play supposed to be there?

post #3 of 20 Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear

If there's to much play it could be worn bearings or tie rod ends(inner or outer). Have him check those while he's at it.

2010 EX-L 4cyl
2005 Saabaru 9-2x Aero 5-spd.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 PM
5th Gear

mines vibrates too...its annoying

--2013 Accord Touring Modern Steel
Mods:
20% tints all around

--2008 Accord i4 NHB Coupe EX-L w/ Navi (TOTALED JUNE 27TH, 2013)
Mods:
19x8.5 5Zigen Gravis I Wheels
20% tints sides and rear
Deck Lid spoiler
3M Roof Spoiler
Takeda Short Ram Intake
Chrome Door Handles
6000K 35w HIDs in lows
3000k 35w HIDs in fogs
Debadged

Future Mods:
Coilovers/Springs
Dual Magnaflow Mufflers
HFP Kit
post #5 of 20 Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear

My car vibrates as well but only when I'm breaking at high speeds over 60 so I'm thinking it's either the brakes or the tires if any one knows please give me some feedback thanks in advanced
post #6 of 20 Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

inspired87, I had the same problem some weeks ago, I went to the dealer and they replaced the front rotors under warranty. my car has 15k miles. They said that they were defective. I've come back from the highway, I was doing 105 mph and I test the brakes. No vibration at all. check with the dealer... put pressure on them.

Supersanch

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #7 of 20 Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 AM
2nd Gear

Highway shimmy

We test drove a 2010 EX-L at one dealer and both of us noticed vibration at highway speeds 55mph-70mph. The salesman told me a tire must need to be rebalanced, I am glad I stuck to my gut feelings to pass on a new car with a problem on a test drive. Then went to another dealer and drove another EX-L with no vibration, that's the one we own. I think someone on here said they had their steering column replaced and that corrected the vibration issue. I don't remember who, but it was a Gen 8 Accord.

More on this.

Any update on highway shimmy?

2010 Accord EX-L 4cyl
post #8 of 20 Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Wrench Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSPIRED87 View Post
My car vibrates as well but only when I'm breaking at high speeds over 60 so I'm thinking it's either the brakes or the tires if any one knows please give me some feedback thanks in advanced
Common problem, front brake rotors. You'll notice the steering wheel shaking slightly (and rapidly) from left to right, only when applying the brakes. If it was a tire balance issue, or a driveline related vibration, it would shake all the time (at highway speeds 50-65mph) without the brake pedal being applied.
What I've noticed (from working at dealers, and still in the business) is the majority of dealers will machine/cut the rotors once for free (if the vehicle is still under warranty). Usually 3-6 months down the road, the condition returns, sometimes sooner if you're an agressive driver. They'll steer you towards a new set of rotors, which should have been replaced to begin with.

Roger
'08 Accord EX-L Coupe I-4
The Following User Says Thank You to porwal22 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (02-20-2016)
post #9 of 20 Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I have a new update.

I picked my car up today. The service manager found that both front tires needed to be replaced, again. They were road force balanced last night and came up with 0.1, today they came up with 0.5 in the cold morning (where I felt the vibration the most). I'm hoping this is the solution.

Thanks for the input!
post #10 of 20 Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well, its been two days with the new tires and the vibration is starting to come back. The ride was smooth for two days, and now I'm starting to notice the vibration again. I really doubt its in the wheels and rims now.

What is the best way to diagnose axle problems? I've been reading some threads, but haven't found anything definitive. While at speed (70mph), if I shift into neutral, the problem is still there. From this I'd throw away motor mounts. I don't think this throws away the axles. What type of play should I look for to determine a bad axle?

Thanks.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersanch View Post
inspired87, I had the same problem some weeks ago, I went to the dealer and they replaced the front rotors under warranty. my car has 15k miles. They said that they were defective. I've come back from the highway, I was doing 105 mph and I test the brakes. No vibration at all. check with the dealer... put pressure on them.

Supersanch
Thanks I'll check that out the only thing is I didn't but my car from a honda dealer I got it from major world and my warranty with them is up

What kind of rotors and or brakes should I get ?

Last edited by namegoeshere; 08-10-2016 at 08:59 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

This problem, steering wheel shake, seems temperature related. This morning it was 63 degrees very low humidity, rather smooth. sat outside all day in the sun, now about 80 degrees and all the way home shake shake shake.. but mostly between 60mph and 70 mph ?????
post #13 of 20 Old 07-12-2013, 04:04 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbiro
I have a new update. I picked my car up today. The service manager found that both front tires needed to be replaced, again. They were road force balanced last night and came up with 0.1, today they came up with 0.5 in the cold morning (where I felt the vibration the most). . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbiro2 View Post
Well, its been two days with the new tires and the vibration is starting to come back. The ride was smooth for two days, and now I'm starting to notice the vibration again. I really doubt its in the wheels and rims now.

What is the best way to diagnose axle problems? I've been reading some threads, but haven't found anything definitive. While at speed (70mph), if I shift into neutral, the problem is still there. From this I'd throw away motor mounts. I don't think this throws away the axles. What type of play should I look for to determine a bad axle?

Thanks.
Think about this for a moment: After replacing the tires, like magic the vibration was gone for two days. What does that tell you? IMHO, it tells you that your issue -- as I stated above -- is solely related to the the tires and, more specifically, how they are wearing. If it were otherwise -- i.e., somehow related to any of the other suggestions put forth above -- the vibration would have continued even with new tires. (Why wouldn't it?) It didn't. Thus, the vibration cannot be related to axles, rotors, wheels, bearings, the rotation of the planets, etc.

The vibration, IMHO, is a consequence of how the tires are wearing (see above), resulting in an imbalance, and the cause of the wear is the alignment settings your guys are choosing.

Edit: Several threads, same subject. See e.g., 2012 steering wheel shake
arztpb likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Mass Effect

I agree, its most likely a tire issue. Im also having the same problem and Im also experiencing it worse when the temperature is colder and its at its worst in the morning when I first head off to work. A mechanical problem like axle or whatever would be the same regardless of the temperature outside I would think.

I dont know what the problem is with Accords doing this. I bought mine after it sat on the lot for less than a week and it didnt vibrate until Id had it a couple weeks. Something is wonky. Luckily mine isnt that bad and Im just going to live with it.

2012 Accord EX Sedan • 190 HP 2.4 I4 • 5 speed auto
post #15 of 20 Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I agree, its most likely a tire issue. Im also having the same problem and Im also experiencing it worse when the temperature is colder and its at its worst in the morning when I first head off to work. A mechanical problem like axle or whatever would be the same regardless of the temperature outside I would think.

I dont know what the problem is with Accords doing this. I bought mine after it sat on the lot for less than a week and it didnt vibrate until Id had it a couple weeks. Something is wonky. Luckily mine isnt that bad and Im just going to live with it.
I just increased my tire pressure from 32Ibs to 37Ibs and I notice a difference although I was only on the highway for a short period of time.

I'm going to try a longer run on the highway on the weekend and will report back.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.