DIY oil change with oil extractor - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Send a message via AIM to vietalogy
DIY oil change with oil extractor

Thought about getting a oil extractor and doing my own oil changes was wondering if anyone else uses a oil extractor?

2014 Accord EX-L White

Retired Black on Black 08 Accord EX-L
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
Thought about getting a oil extractor and doing my own oil changes was wondering if anyone else uses a oil extractor?
Any particular reason you're wanting to use an oil extractor rather than the usual drainplug? I mean, you're going to be under there to replace your filter anyways, right?

post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
Why though? Oil changes are easy enough as it is, I can't see how this could benefit you?

I have a whole list of things I need if you really want to buy something though

post #4 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM
2012 Crosstour

Many oil change shops use oil extractors. When I worked at a dealership we also had one, but only used it for unusual circumstances. I have one at home and use it mainly for transmission fluid and differential. Saves time in having to remove a transmission pan or differential cover.

The benefit is:
1) Don’t have to get under the car
2) No stripped drain plug
3) No worry about over or under tightening drain plug
4) No worry about leaking drain plug gasket
5) Can also use the extractor for transmission fluid, P/S fluid, brake fluid, and differential fluid.
6) The cost of a pan/differential gaskets & sealer and labor will pay for an extractor in short time.

The Detriment is:
1) You won’t get all the fluid out.
2) The cost of the extractor (air powered) is about $75 to $100
3) People who have never used them will criticize you for being lazy.

2012 Crosstour w/NAV
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #5 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Well I did want to use it with other fluids then just oil plus I don't own any jacks to do the normal drain. Also my father in law has boats so he would also use it as well.

do you prefer manual or 12v one?

2014 Accord EX-L White

post #6 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

I've been using it on my Honda ever since I got it, use it on my boats, etc they work perfectly fine and get within a couple teaspoons of getting it all out ....
for those that don't have jacks or lifts, it works perfect

Go to a marine store and look for a jabsco flat tank oil pump....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #7 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
2012 Crosstour

There are lots of companies who make oil extractors. Coscto, Harbor Freight, and others. I purchased mine from Amazon.com. The brand I purchased was the Mityvac 7300 PneumaticVac air-operated fluid extractor as I have an air compressor in my garage. This unit has a 2.3 gallon capacity and comes with lots of adapters and fittings. It takes about 10 minutes to extract 5 quarts of oil out of a crankcase. The cost is $103.00 with free shipping.

Sorry, Im not familiar with the manual or 12 volt models.
Attached Images

2012 Crosstour w/NAV
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #8 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
I've been using it on my Honda ever since I got it, use it on my boats, etc they work perfectly fine and get within a couple teaspoons of getting it all out ....
for those that don't have jacks or lifts, it works perfect
We're you able to change the filter without jacking the car up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
There are lots of companies who make oil extractors. Coscto, Harbor Freight, and others. I purchased mine from Amazon.com. The brand I purchased was the Mityvac 7300 PneumaticVac air-operated fluid extractor as I have an air compressor in my garage. This unit has a 2.3 gallon capacity and comes with lots of adapters and fittings. It takes about 10 minutes to extract 5 quarts of oil out of a crankcase. The cost is $103.00 with free shipping.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the manual or 12 volt models.
Manual as in hand pump, I don't have compressor so I would have to buy a 12v or manually pump by hand.

2014 Accord EX-L White

post #9 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM
4th Gear

I see what you guys are saying with the extractor, and I guess it could make sense.

So, instead of the, "but this is the same price and does more" argument, here's just a jack I found w/ jack stands for $80. I've seen cheaper (likely a Harbor Freight-ish type of place) and much, MUCH more expensive ones.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

Put two wheels up on the curb. Then climb underneath after you have used the pump. Unscrew filter and put the new one in. Refill car...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #11 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post

Sorry, Im not familiar with the manual or 12 volt models.

It looks like a Swedish Penis Pump. (Austin Powers)

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #12 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

I use

a Fumoto valve on 4 of my Honda Motor Products.

only problem is people who tell me a Irate Lover will drain the sump,,, BS I tell them if she (he, not to offend) will know how,,, then better marry her (him)
post #13 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
4th Gear

I've got one use it alot on my 91 accord love it.
I'll have to try it on the tranny.

08 EX Coupe PMM 2.4L 5spd
Lip kit,
Fog lights,
Dualed out,
Takeda intake,
Window visors,
Moonroof visor,
Door edge guards,
Tint front and back,
V6 coupe deck lid spoiler,
18" TSW Valencia wheels,
post #14 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear

I have the Mityvac7400 manual pump, but I've never really used it for auto motor oil. I use it to remove trans fluid and diff fluid on domestics....even used it to remove the coolant a few times. I mainly use it on my landscaping/agro equipment.

'10 EX-L V6 Coupe (SOLD)
'14 Toyota Avalon Limited w/ Tech
'05 Toyota Avalon Touring
'02 Chevy Suburban LT
'71 Camaro SS (406SBC w/ Tremec TKO 5-speed)

'74 Corvette (full body off resto in progress)

post #15 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM
2012 Crosstour

The only further suggestion I would make is: When I purchased my fluid extractor, it worried me, because the dirt, sediment, and crud sit on the bottom of the oil/transmission pan. This is the dirtiest oil that you absolutely want to get out of your engine.

When you do an oil change by opening the drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan, anything sitting on the bottom of the pan will be swift away in the current of the oil. When you stick a long straw down the dipstick tube, it will leave the last few tablespoons of the dirtiest oil at the bottom of the pan. That is just common sense.

So, what did I do to overcome this worry? Three things.

1) I’ll make sure the oil is hot when I vacuum it out. It comes out quicker this way and you know that all the dirt is blended in with the oil; and likely minimal crud will be sitting on the bottom of the oil pan.

2) I’ll usually add about a to quart of motor flush prior to the oil change and run the engine a few minutes with the flush inside. Besides cleaning the tarnish and such from the inside of the engine, the flush will dilute the oil making it thinner and easier to vacuum out.

3) After about every 3 or 4th oil extraction, I’ll drain the oil at the crankcase (the old fashion way). Any possible dirt, sediment or crud sitting on the bottom of the oil pan will easily flow out. This also gives me an opportunity to clean my magnetic oil drain plug. I’m a big believer of using a magnetic drain plug for all removable drain plugs (Transaxle and differential included).

Hope this helps.

2012 Crosstour w/NAV
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.