How to dry damp carpet - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

How to dry damp carpet

I feel like a fool, but Friday was nice and I decided to leave my windows cracked to get some fresh air in the car. Well, I forgot to close them and when going to out my car to head to the gym on Sat. morning...wouldn't you know that it rained!

I've got all-weather mats and leather seats, so I dried everything off, but today (two days later) the nylon "carpet" is still a bit damp at the bottom of my seat.

What's the best way to get these dried out? I've left my windows open today as it's windy (and I checked the weather, clear skies ahead), but wasn't sure if there was some sort of drying agent or Baking Soda, etc?

Any tips would be most appreciated as I'd like to avoid any mold issues.

2011 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 w/Nav.

Previous Honda's
=============
2008 Accord Sedan LX-L
2004 Accord Sedan EX
1995 Civic Coupe EX
1989 Civic Sedan LX
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
5th Gear

I left my sunroof open a couple times and if you put a few oscillating fans in there it dries pretty quick, not sure of you are in an apt. or something that wont work but if its just in your driveway, run an extension cord and get every fan you can.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App

post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Ok, a friend of mine here said something similar (hair dryer). So basically I just need to physically dry it? I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

2011 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 w/Nav.

Previous Honda's
=============
2008 Accord Sedan LX-L
2004 Accord Sedan EX
1995 Civic Coupe EX
1989 Civic Sedan LX

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Sugar coating for you ..

Stick it in the dryer.

But yea, get maybe some febreeze or the likes and spray it down and let it air dry with the help of fans if you have them.

2011 Subaru STi - Stage 2 - Plasma Blue Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda Accord Coupe V-6 EX-L AT NBP
No longer owned
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM
5th Gear

Running the ac while driving will help as it will pull out the moisture in the cabin. I would use a gentle carpet cleaner to discouraged mold growth. Just to be on the safe side.

2010 Accord EX-L V6 PMM Sedan (w/o nav)
My First Honda!

X-tour shiftknob
Philips HIR 9012 Low Beams
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM
7th Gear

Put a box fan in there on a sunny dry day and it will dry up in no time.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Use a shop vac on it. Remove paper filter in the vac first if it has one. Leave mats out of car. If you have access to a garage lower windows and put some fans in the car.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 AM
banned

I had a similar experience with a civic. The seats dried eventually from open windows in the parking lot and driving with open windows. The carpet was another story, it had a moist feel that would not go away and developed a bad smell even with windows open. I cut it up and took it out, my mechanic asked me why didn't i just remove the seats and take the carpet out in one piece so it could dry in the sun. I didn't think of it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.