DIY Stock coupe headlight CCFL halo install - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to trithumb
DIY Stock coupe headlight CCFL halo install

Ive been meaning to put this up a while ago(over a year ago). Just getting around to it. In this DIY Baked my headlights open then blacked out the interior and installed CCFL halos. I recommend testing your halos to make sure they work by putting the + and - wires on your battery of your car. Dont want to do all this and them be defective. Here we go.

First things first. Your going to want to remove your front bumper. There are plenty of DIYs for HID install so you should be able to locate one of them if you need help with that.

This is what you should be left with.

There are 3 bolts that you will need to remove to get the headlight out. slowly remove the headlight and unplug all 4 bulbs (low, high, inner turn sig and outer parking light) and this is what you should have in front of you

There should be several tiny screws around the edge that look like this. Unscrew all of them and set them aside DO NOT LOSE THEM

Also on the back of your high and low beams there are rubber covers that you will need to pop off

Now your ready for the baking part. This part is the biggest p.i.t.a. I recommend having a friend with you. You will need to pre heat your oven and hope its big enough for your headlight. (i have heard of people using a heat gun, to me that sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen) I did one headlight at a time. Put your oven to about 250. Once there get a cookie sheet and place your headlight with the lense up (so you dont scratch it) Bake it for about 10 minutes. pull it out with some form of heat resistant glove. There are little plastic clips all around the outside as well as glue that will fight you every step of the way. I suggest wrapping a flat head screw driver in a cloth of some sort and when you pry it back jam it in there so it doesnt close back up on. have multiple ready too lol. You may have to keep putting it in and out to loosen up the glue. took about 30 minutes total of baking time in and out in and out trying to get these apart. (this job is not for the weak hearted ) Once you have the head light apart now starts the tedious work. If you are going to paint the chrome housings you need to tape off the area where the chrome is useful which is the inside of the bulb dish. Tape like your life depends on it. I covered the turn light area with bubble wrap due to the fact that it wasnt so detailed like the rest of the head light.

You are going to want to get a really soft scuff pad to scuff up the area you are going to paint so it sticks well. I used electrical cleaner to get all the dust and everything out after sanding cuz it evaporates really fast.

I used plasti dip since ive always had good turn outs with a nice smooth finish. Do multiple coats and do do much otherwise it will run. let that dry over night once you are happy with the color.

Next is for the halos. I put mine right over my highbeam area. (in the picture i had it over the low beam as well but the lens would not close properly if i put it there.

I glued it to the top and to the bottom of the housing with rubber silicone

and then ran the wires over the top and out the back where the rubber seals are . You wont be able to see the wiring due to the fact that the lens had a black trim around it that hides this perfectly and then the rubber seals will hold the cable in place. just leave the cable dangling out of the back for now.

Now on the back of your lense there are a few screws and you can pop out the Amber parking light cover. I used night shade spray tint and then sprayed it nice and dark. (when i reinstalled the headlight i just unplugged the parking light bulb so it wouldnt show the ugly amber light any more. we will use that wire later too )

now once you have done everything on the inside. I recommend cleaning the inside of the lens as well as the headlight area too to get any dust out. lay the lens on top of the housing and put it back in the oven also at 250 for about 10-15 minutes. pull it out and press firmly to seal it back up making sure the plastic clips around the edge. Put in the small screws you removed from the housing that holds it together. Once its back together let it cool so you can re install it back to the car. Plug in your turn sig your high and your low beam. Make sure you have access to your parking light wires. Remount your headlight putting the 3 bolts back in. (this was annoying and wouldnt line up right for me. Just wiggle it trying to get it in there lol) once that is all said and done cut the bulb adapter off of the parking light and now you have a positive and negative lead to work with for your halos. Use your brain and either solder them together and seal them good or use butt splices to seal them. I used but splices and then sealed each end of the connection so water couldnt get in. This method of wiring will make it so that your halos are on as long as your head lights are turned on. I just ride with my headlight stalk turned to always on. Here is a before and after

::: PMM 09 accord coupe EX-L 2.4 Auto ::: Black T-Rex lower billet grille ::: Upper Mugen replica grille :::
HFP Lipkit with gloss black fog housings ::: 55w 10000k HIDS low beams ::: 19x8.5 konig lace ::: 245/35/20 falken 452 ::: air ride suspension ::: J-power 3 arm Camber kit ::: 15% tint all around ::: Smoked tail lights ::: Interior Hyper White LED Dome and map lights ::: Custom stock headlights with sprayed chrome housings, tinted amber side marker and CCFL halos :::
The Following User Says Thank You to trithumb For This Useful Post:
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

So you give up your normal highbeams?

post #3 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojowilly View Post
So you give up your normal highbeams?
nope they run as normal. Just when they are not on youll see halos.. when they are on all you will see is highbeam.

::: PMM 09 accord coupe EX-L 2.4 Auto ::: Black T-Rex lower billet grille ::: Upper Mugen replica grille :::
HFP Lipkit with gloss black fog housings ::: 55w 10000k HIDS low beams ::: 19x8.5 konig lace ::: 245/35/20 falken 452 ::: air ride suspension ::: J-power 3 arm Camber kit ::: 15% tint all around ::: Smoked tail lights ::: Interior Hyper White LED Dome and map lights ::: Custom stock headlights with sprayed chrome housings, tinted amber side marker and CCFL halos :::

post #4 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Reverse

Thanks for a detailed diy....
I have some question....what mm is the size of the halos for the high beam (and the low as well since you have it in the pics) did you connect it to your park light? Or when the high beam is on, the halo will go off?

Sorry for having too many question, just curious coz i might do this as well

2012 Honda Accord Coupe PMM EX-L (my Sasha Gray)
Blue Interior Illumination, Angel Eye's, Switchblade keys, Cree reverse light, Backup camera w/ 4.3" lcd, LED dome/map lights, Clear bra, Panavise Dash mount, Debagged

Previous ride...
2010 Honda Civic EX-L CBP (a.k.a. Charlie Black)
post #5 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
Thanks for a detailed diy....
I have some question....what mm is the size of the halos for the high beam (and the low as well since you have it in the pics) did you connect it to your park light? Or when the high beam is on, the halo will go off?

Sorry for having too many question, just curious coz i might do this as well
The ones i ordered were 95mm and 105mm the low beam projector damn near touches the amber side markers so if u want it over the low beam too then youll have to modify more of the headlight. also the low beam will run all the time so you prob wont see that halo much. the 105 is what i used for the high beam i got it from retro solutions. I wired it to the parking light and the halos turn on only when the lights are on. When the high beams are on the halos are still on but the highbeam is so bright you cant see the halo. feel free to ask questions thats why i put it up. so if people wanted to do it they can ask

post #6 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Reverse

Great!! Thanks bro. I'm going to order now the halo's while waiting for the hid to arrived, so that i don't have to remove the bumper twice.

Again, thanks. Go "Team Banana Man"

2012 Honda Accord Coupe PMM EX-L (my Sasha Gray)
Blue Interior Illumination, Angel Eye's, Switchblade keys, Cree reverse light, Backup camera w/ 4.3" lcd, LED dome/map lights, Clear bra, Panavise Dash mount, Debagged

Previous ride...
2010 Honda Civic EX-L CBP (a.k.a. Charlie Black)
post #7 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Why Me

Nice. am still debating to start modifying my new 2012. I am thinking about the Takeda intake but havent heard anyone modding their 2012s.

EVIL SPIRIT VERLEONE
2012 COUPE EX-L V6 SMR
post #8 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
Great!! Thanks bro. I'm going to order now the halo's while waiting for the hid to arrived, so that i don't have to remove the bumper twice.

Again, thanks. Go "Team Banana Man"
If i were you i would just try to be patient and do it all at once.. the clips on the front bumper seem to be weak... ive had mine off about 7-10 times and some of them are breaking =(

post #9 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatchi View Post
Nice. am still debating to start modifying my new 2012. I am thinking about the Takeda intake but havent heard anyone modding their 2012s.
hey, no rush... if your like me... just know that every little thing you change your going to notice if something happens to it... scratched cracked or otherwise lol... when its just your car from A to B you dont notice things as much

post #10 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd914 View Post
Subscribed!
This is for the coupe just an fyi.. Process should be similar but it may vary in size and procedure

post #11 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

Very nice. Props to you Sir
post #12 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.one View Post
Very nice. Props to you Sir
ty sir

post #13 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM
2nd Gear

Should be similar with the sedan right? Should I retro fit it in one shot too?
post #14 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.one View Post
Should be similar with the sedan right? Should I retro fit it in one shot too?
Yea should be ive never really looked at or measured a sedan headlight. If your gonna retrofit the headlight u might as well do that first then when you have that part done throw in the halos and seal it up

post #15 of 51 Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM
YeA BuDdI

Nice! great explanation. I have a pair and im wondering whether to putm on or not.

08 Blue I4 EX
8k Hids (low)
3k Hids (fogs)
Greddy Racing Ti-C exhaust
Fujita Intake
Axis Hiros
Megan SS Coilovers
Window Visors
RonJin lip kit
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.