Megans, H&Rs or Teins coilovers - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
YeA BuDdI

Smile Megans, H&Rs or Teins coilovers

Ok so ive seen, read and been advised alot on these coilovers. I just ordered CV3s for my 08 accord coupe and now im on the hunt for some good coilovers. Everyone has their own opinions on the coil systems they have so now im on the same boat.....I'm looking for a more or less 2' drop with a comfy ride (not bouncy). Any input i will gladly appreciate

Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

Suspension FAQ - Coilovers, HFP suspension, Springs, Camber Kits

Will answer all your coils questions!

post #3 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRoc24 View Post
I'm looking for a more or less 2' drop with a comfy ride (not bouncy).
2 feet?

You must really be rockin the 4x4 look.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
YeA BuDdI

Quote:
Originally Posted by samysam05 View Post
Thanks! I'm new to the forum so this came in handy. I guess i would have to find out if the car bounces or not when i decide what coils i choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
2 feet?

You must really be rockin the 4x4 look.
yea! All the cars ive owned in the past were all slammed 2 inches .....I mean on the 20z i ordered i know i have no choice but to flush out and roll my fenders. I'll post some before and after pics once i install everything.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Condensed version of :

Quote:
- Tein Basics - 3.42 - You're buying quality over features.

- Tein Super Street (SS) - 3.83 - The name says it best: Super coilovers for the street.

- Megan Racing Street & EZ Street - 3.29 - The low price leader gives cheap thrills.

- H&R - 3.38 - German engineering for your Japanese car. The quality is in the GUTS, not listed on paper.

Application: Cars the kit is available for (TSX/TL/Etc plus the years)

Cost: A (1) is an expensive kit while a (5) is downright cheap. This rating tries to balance the dollar amount you pay with the value of what you are getting.

Handling: How the balance of the car is effected, A (1) won't handle as good as stock does, a (5) take corners like a go-cart.

Ride Quality: a (5) rating feels close to stock or better, good for the commuter. A (1) is a rough ride that your passeners won't appriciate.

Ability to tune: Number of clicks doesn't mean much when you can't dial in the car to your liking. (1) is you will have to compromise somewhere between ride and handling, (5) is you can get the car feeling darn near PERFECT with adjustments available. Height adjustment ability is also a factor here, a (1) being a PITA to adjust and a (5) is easy to adjust over a wide height range.

Craftsmanship: This is the effort put into production by the maker. A (1) is nothing special, stuff made in an overseas factory, painted and packaged with whatever name in whatever color the buyer wants. (5) is the company put lots of time into making and tuning the kit. This speaks to buyer confidence, warranty quality, and support you'll get in case you have a problem.

Height Range: A (1) won't let you put the car on the ground but will have a good medium range to work with in the 1.5" to 2.0" drop range that you can fine tune, while a (5) will let you go from a 1" drop finger gap at the fenders to literally laying on the ground +3" down.

Tein Basics & Super Streets
(both kits have the same specs...the only difference is the SS have adjustment on the ride/handling)
Application: All 99-10+ TL, 96-03 CL, 04-10+ TSX, RSX, 90-10+ Accords
Cost: 2/3, while more costly than cheapie kits, this is low cost for an upper/mid-class. Basics get the 2 because at their price point the competition offers a bit more.product.
Handling: 3, retains a factory balance and is very confidence inspiring albeit with a limit that isn't exceptionally high. Upgrade the bushings for sharper responsiveness.
Ride Quality: 5, at times you'll forget you upgraded your suspension at all. Other times, you'll know but won't be offended.
Ability to tune: 2/3.5 Split decision. 2 for the Basics as they are not tunable however they can be revalved by Tein to your liking. 4 for the SS because the 16 clicks available are very finely tuned and will help you find a perfect balance of handling and ride. The range is lower than most other systems because Teins are valved specifically for the springs they come with. In either kit, setting preload will effect balance/height limiting tuning somewhat.
Craftsmanship: 5, designed and assembled in-house (either Japan or USA) with moderate outsourcing for sub-components. Excellent quality control system, most all spare parts are available in stock in the USA, all dampers are fully rebuildable and tunable to your needs. English Instructions are excellent and provide measurement suggestions for quick tuning. You could have a set of Teins for years without needing rebuilding, rebuild them and have them last years more. Factory upper mounts are reused, which complicates installation somewhat but provides noise-free and long-lasting service.
Height Range: 3.5, most reasonable tuners and daily drivers find a good height within the limited range, but VIPers/Flushers/etc will run into limits when really slamming their cars.

Average Score: 3.42 (Basics) 3.83 (SS)

BONUS! Tein offers an EDFC for use on many SS models that allow remote ride firmness adjustment from inside the car ON THE FLY! See our site for applications details and combination offers.

Megan Racing Street Series & EZ Street Series

Application: 99-08 TL, 04-10+ TSX, 98-10+ Accord, 96-03 CL
Cost: 4.5/5, low-cost leader. 4.5 for the Street, 5 for the EZ Street.
Handling: 4, the firmness of this kit allows it to corner flat and run hard.
Ride Quality: 2, most reports are "rides pretty firm," usually either accepted/preffered by younger owners or justified because of the low cost (as if the ride and cost were related somehow).
Ability to tune: 3, with 32 clicks the shocks are widely adjustable but if they are valved firm you can't get away from that without revalving (and these are not able to be revalved). Preload and height range are independent.
Craftsmanship: 2, Initial quality is high while there are mixed long term reviews. More problematic is the limit on manufacturer support. Quality control system and traceability are non-existent. Dampers are not rebuildable; these are "disposable" products.
Height Range: 4, designed to hit all the "tuner bullet points," these can go as low as you want, the ground is the limit. If you want minimal lowering you may be stuck with a minimum 1.5"-1.75" drop.

Average Score: 3.29 (we averaged the cost scores for both street and EZ street since the only real difference seems to be the cost)

H&R Street Performance Coilover

Application: 04-08 TSX & TL
Cost: 2.5, fairly expensive for the features you get
Handling: 3.8, we have not had sufficient experience with this kit to 'officially' comment, however we know the tuning of this kit is designed to be good on the street. Based on the R&D abilities and the know-how the H&R and Bilstein crews posess we are giving this kit a 3.8.
Ride Quality: 4, we have not had sufficient experience with this kit to 'officially', however we know this kit is designed for street use and the quality of parts used will yeild an excellent ride on the street with a good level of refinement. This kit should strike a well-executed ride smoothness balance against handling, so we give it a 4.
Ability to tune: 2, non-adjustable for dampening, adjustable for height
Craftsmanship: 4.5, very nice kit made using Bilstein dampers and high quality German springs. These kits are assembled in Europe and are design with a European feel. The standards for these kit are quite high, but much of that does not matter to USA customers with less money to spend. They tend to be less popular because of this. We also feel they are a little conservative on the performance as we've had a few customers change these out for more aggressive Tein SS or HT-Specs.
Height Range: 3.5, height is adjusted at the spring perch. The general height these drop to is great for daily use. There is enough range for the general daily driver but don't expect to get super low.

Average Score: 3.38
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
YeA BuDdI

Thanks !! This was also very helpful. The Megans are more my style. I was also looking into KSports as well and they actually go low as hell. Give and take since im in Jersey, i cnt be that low cuz of them pot holes.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.