Anyone using Sonar® DRL LED Projector Headlights? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Anyone using Sonar® DRL LED Projector Headlights?

These look nice and I am thinking about getting a pair with their xenon kit. Anyone have any personal experience with them?

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
It looks like they're selling HIDs in halogen projectors. Not a good look.

2011 CBP Sedan EX-L V6 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/FXR xBa Halo/Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
post #3 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
It looks like they're selling HIDs in halogen projectors. Not a good look.
Can you be specific? The lumens will be better then the junky stock setup yes?

post #4 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrishevo View Post
ooo opening up a can of worms with this comment... I can hear Markus running to this thread in a bit

Old Cars:

(2004-2006) - White 2002 Civic LX Sedan Auto (29,XXXkms) (RIP)

(2006-2011) - Silver 2001 Toyota Corolla S Sedan 5MT (186,XXXkms) (Sold 19, Nov 2011)

(2011-2014) - White 2011 Accord EX Coupe 5MT (80,100kms) (Traded 22, Feb 2014)

(2014-2015) - Basque Red 2014 Accord Sport Sedan CVT
(29,250kms) (Sold 16, May 2015 / Still in Family)

(May 2015-Future) - WOP 2015 Accord i4 Touring 6MT
(10kms)
post #5 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well their not reflector headlights and where I live I need all the lumens I can get. Dark roads, many pot holes, and other problems caused mostly by the weather. The stock setup does not do the job. You often can't see the hole until you hit it. In my van, which has halogen projectors, I run 55w HID's without any problems and do not get flashed by other vehicles thinking I have my high beams on.

After reading the 7 pages of fantastic reviews on their website I went ahead and ordered them with both the high and low beam 35w HID kits. I'll post some pics and reviews once they arrive and I install them.

You guys would laugh. Everything from dump trucks to school busses and beaters run HID here in PR. You ain't in Kansas anymore private...
post #6 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Well their not reflector headlights and where I live I need all the lumens I can get. Dark roads and many pot holes and other problems caused mostly by the weather. The stock setup does not do the job. You often can't see the hole until you hit it. In my van, which has halogen projectors, I run 55w HID's without any problems and do not get flashed by other vehicles thinking I have my high beams on.

After reading the 7 pages of fantastic reviews on their website I went ahead and ordered them with both the high and low beam 35w HID kits. I'll post some pics and reviews one they arrive and install them.
Well I am running 35w HIDs in my coupe 4300K and I love the light output of them, much better then stock. So do what you want, I did and I love the look, probably going to do my fog lights the same 4300k HIDs

Old Cars:

(2004-2006) - White 2002 Civic LX Sedan Auto (29,XXXkms) (RIP)

(2006-2011) - Silver 2001 Toyota Corolla S Sedan 5MT (186,XXXkms) (Sold 19, Nov 2011)

(2011-2014) - White 2011 Accord EX Coupe 5MT (80,100kms) (Traded 22, Feb 2014)

(2014-2015) - Basque Red 2014 Accord Sport Sedan CVT
(29,250kms) (Sold 16, May 2015 / Still in Family)

(May 2015-Future) - WOP 2015 Accord i4 Touring 6MT
(10kms)
post #7 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ual2842 View Post
Well I am running 35w HIDs in my coupe 4300K and I love the light output of them, much better then stock. So do what you want, I did and I love the look, probably going to do my fog lights the same 4300k HIDs
From what I understand you actually get the most lumens at 6000k or so even though the wattage is the same. This is what I run in my van and ordered.

Edit: I guess I was wrong. 4300 is slighty higher lumens but I don't like the yellowish tint.
Check this out:

Quote:
Here is some good info to help people decide on what to look for before they buy a HID kit.

Some important information I came from this site and this site

"Colour temperature ('K') vs brightness...It is a common misconception that higher colour temperatures (K’s) produce brighter lights. This is not true. The colour temperature only determines the colour but not the brightness of the HID light. The Colour Temperature is simply a scale represented by the Kelvin Temperature Chart (hence the abbreviation “K” or “K’s”) as decpited above that measures the colour of the light output. Typically, the higher the colour temperature, the closer you get to achieving bluish to purplish light colours."

and

"The higher the Kelvin, the less light output you get (lumens).
With that said, anything over 6000K is basically a waste.
So, what is the best bulb? IMO the 4300K is the best, as it has the highest light output. The problem, though, is that they have a yellow-ish tinge to them that some people find un-attractive. In that case, 5000-6000k is a better choice for you..... as they have a more blue look to them."

Here is a good chart

Some other good info from this site

And a comparison of Kelvin to lumens;
Standard OEM halogen 55W 9006(HB4) = 1100lm (lumens)

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) ** brightest in the market
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

Higher than 8000k, the light output significantly drops off, causing the light to be almost useless.

One should point out that although light output drops off after 8000k, the fact that the light is in the blue-purple spectrum, it still puts a major strain on the eyes of others.

More useful information

And finally, for anyone searching for information on HID's or lighting in general, here are some important terms to know:
(Thanks to HIDPlanet)
Watt- Measure of electrical power (w)
Volt- Measure of electrical charge (v)
Kelvin- Measure of color temperature (K)
Lumen- Measure of light brightness (lu)
Capsule- technically correct term for a HID "bulb".
Candela- Measure of light intensity (cd)
Ampere- Measure of electrical current
Cut-off- A distinctive line of light produced by the shield in a headlight that blocks light above a certain height in order to prevent blinding of other motorists.
Beam Pattern- The pattern of light that is projected onto the ground which includes angle of lateral dispersion, width and depth of illumination.
Capsule- Another term for an HID bulb. Some refer to HID bulbs as gas discharge capsules.
Optics- The lighting control assembly structured around the bulb, which effects the dispersion of light and it's characteristics to a great degree.
HID (High Intensity Discharge)= Gas Discharge
Halogen= Incandescence

This is the kit that I've used in the past because its very affordable (I bought the 35W, 6000k kit and the lumen rating is 3200lm). For my next HID kit my goal is to find a 55W kit in either 5000k or 6000k temp with the highest lumens for that kit. So spending a little bit more money isnt a big deal.

Here is one kit that interests me. Specs from the site: 55W about 4200lm 6000k temp. this sounds like a better upgrade then the one I'm using in both of my cars.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to DOOM
clearly they're using halogen fixtures to run HIDs which is less than ideal. if you're genuinely interested in increased output i'd have modded HIR bulbs to fit or undergone a retrofit. you're likely to experience a lot of glare and misdirected light with the setup as they sell it. even without HIDs people with similar fixtures (all the audi-style fixtures are effectively identical with different branding) have reported less useable light than their stock setups.

since you already ordered i'd be interested in what your cutoff and output is like when you get them installed.

2011 CBP Sedan EX-L V6 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Summer: 20" Vossen CV3/Conti | Winter: 19" Genesis Track/GMax | BC Coilovers/SPC Arms | Mugen Kit | Modulo Face | Sarona Roof Spoiler | Quad Morimoto/FXR xBa Halo/Demon Eyes Retrofit | Fog Light Retrofit | Inspire OEM Mirrors/Garnish | Eagle Eyes Trunk/Tails | Full LED Exterior/Interior | UltraGauge | Takeda SRI | JET MAF | Magnaflow/Vibrant | SprintBooster | UR/Progress Bars | EBC Brakes | Duralast Gold | Next: RV6 J-Pipe
post #9 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM
PMM HFP ACCORD V6 2DR NAV

Quote:
Oh no...prepare to be schooled by mr. Wizard...you've been forewarned..
post #10 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM
(ノ ̄д ̄)ノ ~┻━┻

Send a message via AIM to Aramas Send a message via MSN to Aramas
Quote:
From what I understand you actually get the most lumens at 6000k or so even though the wattage is the same. This is what I run in my van and ordered.

Edit: I guess I was wrong. 4300 is slighty higher lumens but I don't like the yellowish tint.
Check this out:
If you have a proper retrofit that lets you use OEM D2S bulbs, then it would allow you to use the Osram 66240CBI bulbs, which are rated at 5000K while producing 3200-3400 lumens.

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX 5AT I4
[Crystal Black Pearl | Black Interior]
OEM Interior Illumination | OEM Wing Spoiler | Llumar ATC 35% Tint
Interior/Exterior LEDs | Crosstour Shifter | OEM Auto Day/Night Mirror
OEM Cargo Hooks | V6 Front and Rear Bumpers | Hoen Endurance Fogs
OEM Inspire Mirrors (LHD) | OEM Power Folding Mirror Switch | Passport 9500ix Blue
WeatherTech Digi Fit Mats | Mugen Grille | Type R Emblems Front and Rear
post #11 of 11 Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Bodybuildin..

So I'm planning on getting the same lights like OP but the black ones.

But I don't understand anything about these type of headlights. (Big newb here). If I want light blue in color, what do I buy with these headlights? Thanks for the help.

*EDIT* I also want yellow fog lights too. What do I get for these? Plan on getting these.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.