Amsoil Synchromesh VS GM Synchromesh - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
2010 Accord Coupe 6 M/T

Amsoil Synchromesh VS GM Synchromesh

Anybody out there tried out the Amsoil Synchromesh? Any comments?? Or should I just go with the GM Synchromesh?

Also, did anybody try to use the k&n drop in air filter? How good is it?

thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
The Scratcher

Ill comment on the K&N filter, i wouldn't suggest using it due to it not filtering as good as the original paper filter that Honda supplies, secondly there's a small chance that the filter may damage your MAF if your heavy handed with the oil while cleaning it.

-2010 V6 Coupe-
-Focal 165VRS speakers/Focal 33v2 Subwoofer/Alpine CDA 9887 headunit/Lrx 2.4 Audison Amp/Lots of deadening-
post #3 of 22 Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
2010 Accord Coupe 6 M/T

Thanks for the info. Still waiting on somebody to comment on the transmission fluids.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 PM
4th Gear

I've had the k&n in for a few months now it picks up a lil more and I took my car to honda and let them change the tranny oil with the stuff they use 3rd feels better now. I've heard good stuff about the GM oil.

08 EX Coupe PMM 2.4L 5spd
Lip kit,
Fog lights,
Dualed out,
Takeda intake,
Window visors,
Moonroof visor,
Door edge guards,
Tint front and back,
V6 coupe deck lid spoiler,
18" TSW Valencia wheels,
post #5 of 22 Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
2006 Accord Coupe 6+6

Honda's newer manual transmission (green label) fluid is comparable to Amsoil Synchromesh and GM Synchromesh. You will be fine with any of the three. I switched to the Honda fluid in my 06 6+6 Coupe and it was a BIG improvement shifting to third.

With regards to your question about K&N drop-in filters, I have to agree with "bandigo's" reply. I have used K&N filters in the past (racing) and they do let noticeable amounts of dirt through them. Over oil them and they can mess up your MAF.

Good Luck!
post #6 of 22 Old 11-28-2011, 11:51 PM
The Scratcher

If your interested, get one of the aftermarket intakes that have a paper filter, i use the Takeda intake for example =3

-2010 V6 Coupe-
-Focal 165VRS speakers/Focal 33v2 Subwoofer/Alpine CDA 9887 headunit/Lrx 2.4 Audison Amp/Lots of deadening-
post #7 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedmosih View Post
Anybody out there tried out the Amsoil Synchromesh? . . .
I've used Amsoil for several decades. Excellent product. Works exactly as advertised. Unlike other synthetics that tend to lose their effectiveness over time (and none are bad, btw), Amsoil's "Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid" is very durable. Moreover, if you live in an area of the country with extemes of cold weather, you will notice the difference among MTFs. Here again, Amsoil is (IMHO) far surperior initially and over time (meaning 30k miles or more).

Another poster mentioned Honda's MTF. The green label product, part # 08796-9031, is also a quality MTF. But it's not a synthetic, and there is a noticeable difference between Amsoil and Honda's MTF.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Another poster mentioned Honda's MTF. The green label product, part # 08796-9031, is also a quality MTF. But it's not a synthetic, and there is a noticeable difference between Amsoil and Honda's MTF.
I haven't used Amsoil, but I have used both the updated Honda MTF and the GMSFM fluid. Based on my limited experience with both I would rate the GM fluid as superior to the Honda Fluid. In my case, I had the 3rd gear glitch which the Honda fluid improved for only a couple of months, where the GM fluid cured the problem for me. I changed to the GM fluid 10-07 and have had no issues since.

2006 Accord Coupe silver V6 6-speed
2003 Accord Coupe silver V6 auto
post #9 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
I changed to the GM fluid 10-07 and have had no issues since.
With 42,000 miles on GMSFM: 3rd gear glitch has never returned. Not once. No complaints from this sailor.

ez....

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #10 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsibird View Post
I haven't used Amsoil, but I have used both the updated Honda MTF and the GMSFM fluid. Based on my limited experience with both I would rate the GM fluid as superior to the Honda Fluid. In my case, I had the 3rd gear glitch which the Honda fluid improved for only a couple of months, where the GM fluid cured the problem for me. I changed to the GM fluid 10-07 and have had no issues since.
+1 to this. GMSFM is better in the respect that gear changes are slicker and less notchy than Honda MTF.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #11 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 AM
3rd Gear

I can't speak for the 6-6 Accord, but I ran Amsoil Snychromesh in my 8th gen Si ('06) and was very happy with it. A number of folks had issues with the Si's 6-speed (2-3 grind, 3rd pop out, etc.). IMO, it was more due to user error than a bad trans. I noticed the feel of the shifts were better when I went to the Amsoil. Anyway, the Si and RSX Type S guys were using both Amsoil and GM with good results, so I think that you'd fine with either. Honda later came out with their updated MTF, but at that point I was using Amsoil and I never looked back.

'10 EX-L V6 Coupe (SOLD)
'14 Toyota Avalon Limited w/ Tech
'05 Toyota Avalon Touring
'02 Chevy Suburban LT
'71 Camaro SS (406SBC w/ Tremec TKO 5-speed)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'74 Corvette (full body off resto in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedmosih View Post
Anybody out there tried out the Amsoil Synchromesh? Any comments?? Or should I just go with the GM Synchromesh?

Also, did anybody try to use the k&n drop in air filter? How good is it?

thanks
I've only used Amsoil products for the last 15 years and found this site to contain a lot of opinions and lab testing on many different products. Search here for many opinions on oil issues.

there are different forums here discussing oil issues and new products.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

I'd like to order me some-o-dat GM Synchromesh fluid. How any quarts do I need 08?
post #14 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
2010 Accord Coupe 6 M/T

You need only 2 quarts. Is it available in autozone or oreilys? Or should I go to a dealership to get it?
post #15 of 22 Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Going Top Shelf FTW

You need 2.3qts. Been running GMSFM for 25k, nothing but praise for it.

01 Supercharged Corvette
13 Rav4
16 MDX SH-AWD

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.