I4 Dual Exhaust Conversion - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Dafuq?

I4 Dual Exhaust Conversion

Hey guys, I'm converting my single I4 exhaust to a dual magnaflow exhaust

parts:
2 Magnaflow #14832 Mufflers (2.25 inlet, 2.5 outlet)
Lawson Industries Y split Pipe (2.25 inlet, dual 2.25 outlet)
Heat Shielding and Misc Parts

I found a mechanic and he quoted me $150, but the thing is he wants to run 2" piping from the Y split back to the two mufflers while I want to run 1.75" piping in order attempt the sustain the same back pressure.

so questions:
Which piping should i use 2" or 1.75"?
Should I keep the Resonator on? (I want a deep sound, not too loud though)

pictures next week after the conversion is done =]

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan
Takeda Intake & Exhaust / ExLED Switchbacks, LEDs, Fog Lights / TEIN Street Advance / Tein EDFC II / Jpower Arms / TL-19mm Rear Sway Bar / Moog End Links / Varrstoen ES4 19x9.5 +40 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 235.40.19 / 20% Suntek Tint / Acura RL BBK / 350z Slotted/Drilled Brembo Rotors / FFC Bracket / Stoptech SS Lines / EVO GSR Enkei Wheels 18x8.5 +38 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 245.40.18 / KTUNER

The other forum/community is better, just saying...
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to berg
its gonna look great !

2007 Accord coupe EX i4 graphite pearl aka"Bonita"
64,2xx miles and PAID OFF! TITLE IN HAND
Magnafire AT Trans Filter
TL 17mm rear sway bar
V6 7th gen Front strut bar
Diode dynamics stage 2(white)
2005 accord chrome volume button

2010 Altima 3.5 SR Sedan Pearl White
24xxx Miles
Sport Package
Stillen Exhaust
Racingline y-pipe and RSB
Injen SRI
post #3 of 41 Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda only...

I would like to see that,,when its done,please post pictures

2010 CR-V EX
2009 EX-L V6 Sedan

post #4 of 41 Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
He probably wants to run 2" piping because it will be easier to step it down from 2.25" at the y pipe and then back up to 2.25" at the muffler. He should be able to do 1.75" but expect to pay more since he will have to do more labor. I don't think it will make too much of a noticeable difference either way. Back pressure is such an overused, misunderstood concept. What you want to maintain is exhaust velocity which smaller piping will allow. It's your car so you can pick the pipe size you want but labor costs will go up with the smaller price. If it was me I'd probably just go 2". You're already a step ahead of most I4 dual conversion drivers by stepping down to 2".

As far as the resonator I would leave it on. Drive around for a few hundred miles and see if you like the sound. If you want still want to change the sound more after that you can have the resonator replaced with a different resonator or with a piece of straight pipe.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #5 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 AM
3rd Gear

I'd be concerned with reduced back pressure.

2011 Accord V6-L Coupe
2009 Infiniti G37X Sedan
post #6 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoeMama78 View Post
He probably wants to run 2" piping because it will be easier to step it down from 2.25" at the y pipe and then back up to 2.25" at the muffler. He should be able to do 1.75" but expect to pay more since he will have to do more labor. I don't think it will make too much of a noticeable difference either way. Back pressure is such an overused, misunderstood concept. What you want to maintain is exhaust velocity which smaller piping will allow. It's your car so you can pick the pipe size you want but labor costs will go up with the smaller price. If it was me I'd probably just go 2". You're already a step ahead of most I4 dual conversion drivers by stepping down to 2".

As far as the resonator I would leave it on. Drive around for a few hundred miles and see if you like the sound. If you want still want to change the sound more after that you can have the resonator replaced with a different resonator or with a piece of straight pipe.
I don't mind 2" piping which I assume he already got, but I'm just worried about losing some performance/torque in the low rpm's since if I run 2" piping back I would be at a 63% reduction in exhaust velocity, 1.75" would be an 82% reduction assuming that I simplify the equation to not include thermodynamics and the density of the exhaust gas is constant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd be concerned with reduced back pressure.
I am too lol, but I assume I can regain some of it by intake headers/cai

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan
Takeda Intake & Exhaust / ExLED Switchbacks, LEDs, Fog Lights / TEIN Street Advance / Tein EDFC II / Jpower Arms / TL-19mm Rear Sway Bar / Moog End Links / Varrstoen ES4 19x9.5 +40 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 235.40.19 / 20% Suntek Tint / Acura RL BBK / 350z Slotted/Drilled Brembo Rotors / FFC Bracket / Stoptech SS Lines / EVO GSR Enkei Wheels 18x8.5 +38 Square / Pirelli Cinturato 245.40.18 / KTUNER

post #7 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 AM
lui
banned

Make sure the installer has done a significant number of custom mufflers. Don't want a rookie working on your ride. Lol.
post #8 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lui View Post
Make sure the installer has done a significant number of custom mufflers. Don't want a rookie working on your ride. Lol.
Lol, I trust him, atleast the head mechanic/owner of the shop, don't really like one of the guys at the shop, he was talking down to me thinking I didn't know much about cars and didn't know what a cat back was lol. Oh and in a different language I understood lol...

anyway the head mechanic baby's my car xD hes worried about it looking perfect rather than slapping/welding it on, so he went to go get custom bent pipes from another shop free of charge lets just hope they're mandrel bent =]

For the love of jeebus I'm a mechanical engineer I think i know a tiny amount about cars lol

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan

post #9 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3 View Post
Hey guys, I'm converting my single I4 exhaust to a dual magnaflow exhaust

parts:
2 Magnaflow #14832 Mufflers (2.25 inlet, 2.5 outlet)
Lawson Industries Y split Pipe (2.25 inlet, dual 2.25 outlet)
Heat Shielding and Misc Parts

I found a mechanic and he quoted me $150, but the thing is he wants to run 2" piping from the Y split back to the two mufflers while I want to run 1.75" piping in order attempt the sustain the same back pressure.

so questions:
Which piping should i use 2" or 1.75"?
Should I keep the Resonator on? (I want a deep sound, not too loud though)

pictures next week after the conversion is done =]
I am absolutely not an expert on this subject, but I remember reading that back pressure becomes less important the farther downstream in the exhaust system you go. As mentioned above, backpressure is related to exhaust gas velocity. (As opposed to sticking a potato in the exhaust pipe.) The thinner the tube, the faster the air moves through it. That is what creates the back pressure. But it also means the exhaust gas will travel a greater distance per unit time.

Apparently the concept of moving downstream quickly is REALLY important at the beginning of the exhaust system. It regards valve overlap. For a split second during each intake stroke, the exhaust valves remain open allowing the piston to draw exhaust gas back into the cylinder. At high rpm, when the piston speed is high and shoots the exhaust gas out at a high velocity, the spent gas moves away from the exhaust valves quickly. As a result, the gas is too far away to get drawn back into the cylinder during the intake stoke. But at low rpm, the exhaust gas moves slowly and remains close to the exhaust valves. During the intake stroke, some of the spent exhaust gas gets drawn back into the cylinder. The spent exhaust gas has almost no oxygen in it and starves the cylinder. THAT is what hurts low end power, a lack of oxygen.

The challenge is to design the exhaust manifold and the first few feet of the exhaust system to be thin enough to promote sufficient velocity at low rpm, but not so thin that it prevents the exhaust gas from flowing easily at high rpm. The OEM design is pretty good for that. Once the exhaust gas is beyond the catalytic converter, backpressure has less and less impact on what happens close to the exhaust valves. As long as you use the OEM exhaust manifold and catalytic converters, there should be very little difference between a 2.00" or 1.75" inch piping after the Y pipe.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #10 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Dafuq?

I guess the best way to determine my performance loss is to dyno it after the exhaust job is done lol, hopefully its not too much that i can't regain from a cai + tbs

can't decide if I want springs, cold air intake, or minor mods (black out headlight housing, angel eyes, vled switchback, fog lights) next

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan

post #11 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Teh nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3 View Post
For the love of jeebus I'm a mechanical engineer I think i know a tiny amount about cars lol
Your profile says your 19. You already finished college?
post #12 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 04:37 PM
i-VTEC, do you?

Don't worry about the loss in back pressure and torque. I have the same setup that your going for, 2.25 inch piping without the pre-muffler, connected to MagnaFlow 14832's and I have suffered zero losses in low rpm torque. Car feels the same down low, but sounds excellent!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 19' TSW Nurburgring's | Goodyear Eagle GT's | Eibach Pro-Kit | TL 17mm Rear Sway|
JDM Sport Front Strut Bar | Weapon-R SRI | DC Sports Header | Dual MagnaFlow's 14832's | PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors | JDM Emblems | v6 Battery Conversion | HFP Lip Kit | 03-05 HFP Side Skirts | Black Grille | 30% Tint | WeatherTech Visors | Window Spoiler | Form Fit Deflector | Blackhoused Mini H1 Retros | OEM Fogs w/ 2500k Hyper Yellow's | 4300k HID Kit | LED Conversion |

post #13 of 41 Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
Your profile says your 19. You already finished college?
I'm a semester ahead, going into my junior year this fall, lol, studied dynamics and enough about machine design to know a tiny bit about cars but its a learning process =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24coupe View Post
Don't worry about the loss in back pressure and torque. I have the same setup that your going for, 2.25 inch piping without the pre-muffler, connected to MagnaFlow 14832's and I have suffered zero losses in low rpm torque. Car feels the same down low, but sounds excellent!
thats good to hear, figure I go with 2" just to be safe and its convenient=P

2014 MSM EXL-V6 Sedan

post #14 of 41 Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

conversion

so how did it end up coming out? can i get a pic? i would DIE for a sound clip ahhaha, i'm on the verge of doing this myself

2010 accord coupe lx-s
black on black
5 speed manual
Yellow Trendgear fogs
Noyka superyellow 2500k fog lights
20% all around
v6 deck lid
m3 spoiler
post #15 of 41 Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
4th Gear

i bought the full catback for the v6 and had it installed on my i4 ran me $850 (canadian) with install, love the sound its deep.

i dont know to much about the piping and the downsizing your looking at but i kept mine at the 2.25" that comes stock and with what the magnaflow comes with.

2011 Accord Coupe EX-L
HFP Skirt Pkg
JDM Badges
6000K HID Headlights
Nokya Yellow DRL
Injen Short Ram Intake
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
Magnaflow Dual Catback Exhaust
HSD Coilovers
P2R Downpipe W/Cat Delete
TWM Shortshifter
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.