Acura (TL) vs Honda (Accord) quality - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Low Gear

Arrow Acura (TL) vs Honda (Accord) quality

For the sake of this thread, let's say they are the same car, but let's not debate that. One is Acura, one is Honda. Both comes from Ohio (I know other plants make Accords also).

Acura suppose to have a higher level of quality. You can feel the difference, and you pay for the difference.

Does any of you own both?

1. Do the same problems on the Accord also apply to the TL?

2. Do workers care more on tightening that bolt on a TL vs a Accord? How is the build quality better? There is only one way to tighten a bolt. We can talk about engine, transmission, assembly, the parts and component pretty much come together side by side, if not the same parts.

I can't imagine one side of the assembly "really cares," and the other side sort of relax a bit.

Comments?

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
For the sake of this thread, let's say they are the same car, but let's not debate that. One is Acura, one is Honda. Both comes from Ohio (I know other plants make Accords also).

Acura suppose to have a higher level of quality. You can feel the difference, and you pay for the difference.

2. Do workers care more on tightening that bolt on a TL vs a Accord? How is the build quality better? There is only one way to tighten a bolt. We can talk about engine, transmission, assembly, the parts and component pretty much come together side by side, if not the same parts.

I can't imagine one side of the assembly "really cares," and the other side sort of relax a bit.

Comments?
I think jigs and what not are prolly checked more often with Acura models.

Everything that is shared is the same Honda or Acura.

I think as for tolarances for tightening are all automated. A worker must be very lazey to skip or pull away before botoming bolts and such.

I have a few worker tools that are calibrated internally (nut drivers and drill clutches). So no worker can mis-align or adjust torq specs.

Certified 2009 EX-L Coupe - VCM - PMM
Paid $21,500 cash on 01/11

MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy 75MPH
0w-20 cap
3.7L TL-SHAWD IM - Functional
65w H9 Lo & Fog / 80w HB3 Hi
Cargo hooks & net
Crosstour knob
Duralast Platinum 24F
I4 hood rod
MDX spacer & ported
Moded OEM CAI
Mobil 1 0w-20 & M1-110
NAPA #18514
Odyssey garnish - Flush fit
Painted splash guards
PXAMG & HDRT
Rear: Center Belt, head rests & ANC delete
Service Grade Electricals
Test Pipe
Window UP mod
Valvoline Type VI
post #3 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
4th Gear

When I got in my friend's Acura TL, it was a big difference in feel and amenities. The Accord, no matter if you get it with everything, felt pretty plain Jane after that. I still like the Accords; but, there is more thought and amenities in the Acura.

post #4 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Out of Control

well i feel that accords are very well built like an acura. however, the difference doesnt seem to be the labor, but the quality of the parts. I used to have a 2006 accord coupe and now i have a 2007 acura tl-s. i mean, like you said, theres only so many things the worker can do to put together the parts. however, on my acura tl, there is a lot more sound insulation, and less rattles. Also, the dash is more pleasing to look at because there are less "lines". The accord was good but it felt more like you can see that its pieced individually whereas the acura has a nice smooth and clean looking dash.

heres an example picture:

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #5 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Out of Control

one more thing with the acura is the name. doesnt matter what mods u have on an accord, an acura tl always has a better name. when people ask you what car you drive, "acura tl" always sounds better than "honda accord"

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #6 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Let the fun begin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post

Comments?
Since I did own an Accord and currently own a TL i'll chime in with my observations and input.

I LOVED my Accord. Definately did not want to get ride of it but due to Colorado winters I was having a very hard time driving my V6-6 in the snow. I decided I'd try a SUV and purchased a 2010 Toyota 4Runner. It was a nice vehicle and did pretty good in the snow but I never really enjoyed driving it. So I purchased a 2011 TL SH-AWD. Best of both worlds.....most of all the things I loved about the Accord (front grill aside) now with AWD, more power, and more comfort.

1. There are similar issues that seem to creep up on both platforms. Few rattles here and there have been reported on the 2009 TL that seems to have been addressed. There doesn't seem to be nearly as many complants about rattles, body issues, and other problems. Then again there are far fewer Acuras build vs Hondas.

2. The one thing I did notice is that the car in general is tighter and put together better. While the Accord wasn't thrown together there was definate signs that they cut some corners to push the cars out quickly. The TL is definately put together better inside and out. But then again you are paying for it.

There is clearly a dramatic difference between a TL and an Accord but you are gonna pay for it. I suggest going to an Acura dealer and checking one out yourself. Now if Honda or Acura would just make a 2 door with SH-AWD (either turbo i-4 or V6) I would be in heaven. For now I love my TL and again enjoy driving.

2011 Acura TL SH-AWD
20" TSW InterlagosRF (20x8.5 ET43) wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (245/35/40) tires, Takeda SR Intake, P2R TB Spacer....and more to come.
2008 Honda Accord Couple PMM EX-L V6 6 speed (07/08 to 03/10)
20" Stern ST11 (20x8.5 ET45) wheels w/TPMS, Nitto NT555 (245/35/20) tires, Greddy Ti-C Single Exit Exhaust, SR Typhoon Intake w/Amsoil Dryflow Filter, Maven Mark 1/Monsterknob/S2000 CR Shift Knob's, P2R TB Spacer, 5000K (35W) Retro-Solution's HID's w/ Relay
post #7 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
5th Gear

My parents both drive Acuras-my dad a TSX, and my mom an MDX. Comparing the Accord with the MDX isn't especially relevant, but it comparing it to the TSX certainly is. The big difference I've noticed is that, while the TSX is certainly tighter around the corners, the car feels a lot more numb then the Accord. The ride seems softer and there is definitely less road noise. There is also a noticeable difference in the quality of the materials used (which is not to say those in the Accord are poor-they are definitely higher quality than anything else in its class).

I remember reading somewhere that Lexus vehicles, receive, on average, 5 hours of quality control compared to 1 for a Toyota. I wouldn't be surprised if a difference also exists between Acura and Honda (although I doubt it is big a spread).

'06 LX Sedan Auto
Alabaster Silver/Gray Cloth
92700 Miles
post #8 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to desiboy5291
you could probably hit up acurazine.com and find out everything you want to know.

08 Accord LX-S Nighthawk Black Pearl

RetroSolutions 35W 6000k HID| 2 10" JL Audio Subs| Alpine 1000W Amp| 25% Tint All Around| LED Trunk Light|
LED Dome Light| LED License Plate Light| V-LEDs Type 2 Dual Color Changing Turn Signals| Weapon-R Intake
post #9 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to A&Fbro28 Send a message via Yahoo to A&Fbro28
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy42190 View Post
well i feel that accords are very well built like an acura. however, the difference doesnt seem to be the labor, but the quality of the parts. I used to have a 2006 accord coupe and now i have a 2007 acura tl-s. i mean, like you said, theres only so many things the worker can do to put together the parts. however, on my acura tl, there is a lot more sound insulation, and less rattles. Also, the dash is more pleasing to look at because there are less "lines". The accord was good but it felt more like you can see that its pieced individually whereas the acura has a nice smooth and clean looking dash.

heres an example picture:

I too had an Accord as most of you know me (look at my number of posts). And as far as quality this a strange one for me because even though my 08 TL was based on an Accord a generation older than my Accord I owned, It is sooo much more solid and planted. The suspension never gets "upset" if i hit a significant bump in the road. It just feels like it was crafted from a solid block of lead.

Desmond,

2013 Honda FIT Sport w/ Navigation
5000k HID's, Leather seats, Full Harmon Kardon System System, Cusco Mid-Brace. 10mm rear spacers, Tanabe Medallion Exhaust, HPS short ram intake and Tein S-Tech springs with race header and more to come

08 Acura TL w/Technology Pkg

08 Taffeta White Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi Coupe (traded-in)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
5th Gear

Funny that the same European Honda Accord is sold in US (FOR dummies) as
OMG Acura TSX!!!!

Funny that I could not ask for manual shift car in my drivers' Ed in Highschool in US!!!!

Funny that there is a motivation in keeping Honda brand look bad to be able to sell any Acuras. Case in point: Manual Shift vs. Auto.

By the way, YOu all should be thankful to Honda that they have not gone away with auto trans for a CVT!!!!!
post #11 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
5th Gear

Send a message via AIM to desiboy5291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattmann View Post
Funny that the same European Honda Accord is sold in US (FOR dummies) as
OMG Acura TSX!!!!

Funny that I could not ask for manual shift car in my drivers' Ed in Highschool in US!!!!

Funny that there is a motivation in keeping Honda brand look bad to be able to sell any Acuras. Case in point: Manual Shift vs. Auto.

By the way, YOu all should be thankful to Honda that they have not gone away with auto trans for a CVT!!!!!
im sorry, was it funny?

08 Accord LX-S Nighthawk Black Pearl

RetroSolutions 35W 6000k HID| 2 10" JL Audio Subs| Alpine 1000W Amp| 25% Tint All Around| LED Trunk Light|
LED Dome Light| LED License Plate Light| V-LEDs Type 2 Dual Color Changing Turn Signals| Weapon-R Intake
post #12 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 PM
yjm
4th Gear

What are you getting at, why are you asking this question? Are you now feeling like maybe you should have purchased a TL instead of an Accord?

2010 Silver 6mt Coupe - Built 1st Week Of March 2010, purchased 03/15/2010.
post #13 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Ice
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Fbro28 View Post
I too had an Accord as most of you know me (look at my number of posts). And as far as quality this a strange one for me because even though my 08 TL was based on an Accord a generation older than my Accord I owned, It is sooo much more solid and planted. The suspension never gets "upset" if i hit a significant bump in the road. It just feels like it was crafted from a solid block of lead.
I've got to concur. Crafted from a solid block of lead describes the Acura TL very well. Even older TLs behave that way. The car is simply solid.

2013 EX-L Sport V6, MSM/Black

Mods
- Llumar 30 + Air Blue 80
- B&I Wood Trim, exLED interior, deck lid spoiler, WeatherTech floor liner
- MUGEN Hydrophilic mirror, Sill garnish, SS RSX pedals
- Injen CAI, RV6 HFPC, Redtail exhaust, Sport wheels
- Rammat BXTII, Ensolite, Big 3
- Audison bit Ten, Kenwood XR-5S, Vifa XT25, Hertz HV165, IDQ12
- RX8 Projectors w/ Curved shield + E30 lens, Hella Gen 3, Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI, Philips HIR2, VLED VX3

2008 EX-L Night Hawk/Ivory, RIP

post #14 of 37 Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiboy5291 View Post
im sorry, was it funny?
OOPS!
That was for another Thread!!
post #15 of 37 Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 AM
2010 Accord LX

I drove a '96 Acura '96 3.2TL for 11 years. I now drive a 2010 Honda Accord LX. The TL cost $34K in 1995. The Accord cost less than $20K.

The TL' s handling (suspension and steering) was superior. The Accord handles good, but the Acura handling is best described in a single word - "solid".

The Acura's superior handling is the result of higher quality parts (more engineering, tighter specifications, better materials, higher $$$).

I am happy with the Accord because it cost $15-20K less to buy and has lower annual ownership costs (fuel, insurance, registration, maintainence, etc). I have simply made the decision that having a solid ride is not worth the extra cost when "good" is good enough.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.