Had factory remote start installed...keyless entry won't work when activated. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Unhappy Had factory remote start installed...keyless entry won't work when activated.

Hey everyone,

I had Honda's remote starter installed by a mechanic (who works at Honda). When I turn on the car using the remote it seems to deactivate my keyless entry. The only way to get into the car is if I manually unlock the door with the key but that turns the car off.

Is it supposed to disable the keyless entry? Did he install the system wrong? I would assume with the price I paid for the unit that Honda parts should play nice together....

4DR 2008 Accord EX-L
Remote starter PN: 08E91-E22-101A (I believe)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
NJDR

i have a different remote starter installed and mine does the same thing .. its because once you start it the module makes the car think the key is already in the ignition and if the key is in the ignition the buttons shouldnt be working ......

2009 honda accord coupe ex-l v6
MODS:

To many to list.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Generation 9

Probably some kind of safety thing. This way if you're car is running and you unlock it with the FOB, then the baby starts crying or your wife calls you back for a sec, no one can jump in and drive off with your car.

2013 Accord Sedan EXL V6
Crystal Black Pearl
Ambients Interior
LEDS - Interior, Doors, Maps, Dome, Trunk
Blue LEDS Center Console, Footwells Illuminated

Future Projects
Tints, the Legal NY laws
Door Sills

Products, Lexol,
WET PAINT

post #4 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM
5th Gear

The dealer is never going to tell you what problems you will have!

Quote:
The key fob is deactivated when the Remote Engine Starter is in use, which means you have to start and stop the engine with the Remote Engine Starter before you can unlock the doors.
see

2011 V6 2dr BB w/Nav
post #5 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. I guess this is what I get for not doing my homework. All the previous remote starters I've seen on other cars allowed the keyless entry to still work and you would have to insert the key to drive off.

I do not see it as a security or safety feature at all.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
post #6 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Or, you know, you could have read the instructions and found out how the system works. I dont even have one and I know thats how it is supposed to work.....
post #7 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter01592 View Post
i have a different remote starter installed and mine does the same thing .. its because once you start it the module makes the car think the key is already in the ignition and if the key is in the ignition the buttons shouldnt be working ......
My Python lets me lock and unlock the doors and open the trunk while the car is running.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #8 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
Hey everyone,

I had Honda's remote starter installed by a mechanic (who works at Honda). When I turn on the car using the remote it seems to deactivate my keyless entry. The only way to get into the car is if I manually unlock the door with the key but that turns the car off.
That is one of the many reasons I ate the cost of the OEM system and had it replaced with an aftermarket. Other reasons: can't start the car if sunroof or windows are cracked and only comes with one remote and second is a ridiculous amount of money. Biggest gripe with it was terrible range. I never got 200 ft range out of it, I was lucky if it worked at 100 ft. The only benefits of it over aftermarket are it doesn't affect the warranty (countered by finding a good aftermarket installer) and it automatically set the climate control.

Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

post #9 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Who needs lugnuts anyway

It's normal for the keyless entry to not work after remote starting the car. You can't open the trunk with the remote either once the car is started. You should unlock the door before you remote start the engine - this may or may not work depending on the range that you get with your remote - it worked for me at home and sometimes at work for quite a while until I got tired of that and wired the lock/unlock to my aftermarket system.

2004 Accord LX 5MT Graphite Pearl Metallic
V6-6MT Strut tower bar|17mm Acura TL rear sway bar|Rear Spoiler|2003 Acura CL-S Wheels|Foglights and HIR headlights|Rear Speakers - Boston Acoustics S95|Front Speakers - Polk DB6501|Tinted Rear|
post #10 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 06:24 PM
3rd Gear

The module for the remote start has a setting for the keyless entry the switch has different numbers on the module each number has a different setting the manual has the info
post #11 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by majky View Post
It's normal for the keyless entry to not work after remote starting the car. You can't open the trunk with the remote either once the car is started. You should unlock the door before you remote start the engine - this may or may not work depending on the range that you get with your remote - it worked for me at home and sometimes at work for quite a while until I got tired of that and wired the lock/unlock to my aftermarket system.
Except on the OEM system the doors have to be locked to remote start the car. Aftermarket systems, at least DEIs, have no problem letting you lock/unlock doors and open the trunk after the car is started remotely.

post #12 of 22 Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

This is the first factory remote starter I've had. All others were aftermarket and all could remote start with keyless entry still working (could open doors too). I never knew this "problem" existed.

The biggest thing that sold me was the auto climate settings. Range is short yes, but I'll mainly use it in the morning to warm up the car. Although, I admit that my decision would probably be different had I know keyless wouldn't work.
post #13 of 22 Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear

I had a different remote starter installed at my Honda dealer for my 11-v6, which they offered at half the price of the OEM. It allows opening the doors when the car is remotely started using the 2 included key fobs, as well as the full Honda warranty. The range is a little week however, but good enough for me.

2011 Accord V6-L Coupe
2009 Infiniti G37X Sedan
post #14 of 22 Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech7 View Post
The module for the remote start has a setting for the keyless entry the switch has different numbers on the module each number has a different setting the manual has the info
Are you referring to the DIP switches?
Neither the Owner's Manual nor the Installation Instructions actually state what each switch does, but I'd sure like to know.

Maybe you can help me out:
OEM Remote Starter Question
post #15 of 22 Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

The Honda OEM remote start disables any opening of anything on the car (windows, doors, trunk). It's a safety feature. The Toyota OEM remote start and the Cadillac remote start do the same. After market remote start are different. I rather stick with OEM. If your going to keep your car for more than a couple of years I would never use aftermarket alarms or starters. Scratch that I will never use an aftermarket alarm or stater unless I install it myself. I had a car with an aftermarket alarm/starter and it was nothing but problems. I will never trust anybody installing anything in my car unless its an OEM add on at a reputable dealer. Also bear in mind that Honda's and Toyota's already have most of the parts included in the car to make the remote start work.

My range is about 200 feet. maybe the antenna was installed under the dashboard. It should be on the top portion of the windshield by the mirror. i didn't even notice it until a couple of months of driving the car.

2009 Honda Accord EX-L i4
OEM remote start
OEM Deck lid spoiler
Parrot MKi9200
Passenger & driver insulator
Trunk bag hooks
OEM cargo net
45% front & rear, 35% back
Hard wired TomTom go 740 Live
OEM visors w/ chrome trim
Blade key(not cut yet)
Advertisement

Tags
keyless entry, remote start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.