Reset the Check Engine Light - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 18 Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

6-11-2013. Our 2007 Accord SE, Check Engine light came on and stayed on. I wanted to Reset it, to see if it comes back on. Here's what I learned online and by doing: You DO NOT reset it using the mileage reset button. That only resets the Maintenance Required light. You DO NOT reset it by removing the "clock fuse," since the clock is part of the radio. Removing the #5 "Radio" fuse does not reset it. What works is to REMOVE the Negative Battery Terminal for 30 seconds. That removes the Check Engine light after start-up, assuming the original causal condition has resolved, but of course you'll then have to enter the Radio anti-theft code and reset your clock, both of which are easy to do.

6-12-2013. To Reset the Check Engine Light in a 2007 Accord SE, I learned the following by trying the suggestions of others. First, resetting the trip odometer push button procedure only works to reset the Maintenance Required light; it does NOT reset the Check Engine light. Second, removing for 30 seconds then replacing the clock fuse, which in our car is the #5 fuse in the left side-panel fuse box, a combined fuse for the radio and clock, does NOT reset the Check Engine light. Finally, removing the Negative Terminal on the car's battery for 30 seconds DID reset the Check Engine light. If the "removal of the battery's negative terminal" procedure does not work, that probably means you have an on-going Check Engine light code problem. In my case, it's likely the Check Engine light reset because the initial cause of the Check Engine light was transitory and no longer existed. Of course, this procedure then requires that you enter the anti-theft 5-digit code into the radio to reset it, and at the same time, you'd then have to reset the clock, both are easy procedures.

PS- for what it's worth, I know a number of people, including us at one time with one of our Honda's, that run their cars without any apparent problems NOTWITHSTANDING that the Check Engine light is continuously on. You may not "pass" your yearly emission inspection in that state, but at least you could drive your car until then without having to sink a huge amount of cash chasing difficult to cure Check Engine light issues. Although I have a background in vessel machinery operations and lawyering, I am NOT AN EXPERT BY ANY MEANS WITH RESPECT TO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ISSUES. With that said -- and you'll never hear this said by any auto mechanic or Honda dealer (they have a vested interest in focusing you on the scary possibilities), but I suspect that the odds of a Check Engine light issue being anything seriously damaging to the engine per se, are extremely low.

Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpshooter View Post
Sometimes the local auto store will allow you to clear the code after they tell you what it is.

Although it's not legal to just clear the code without fixing the problem, i have heard they will check the codes and when it comes to the point to clear the code on the diagnostic tool they will say "we can not clear the code for you, but if you push this button you will clear your code" this takes the liability away from them and puts it on you, because you cleared the code.
XPSHOOTER wrote

"Although it's not legal to just clear the code without fixing the problem"

without knowing, for years I have reset my fathers check engine light on his 1995
chevy truck that comes on every 6 months or so. I wonder what the jail time is for 10 counts of this illegal act. First I heard its illegal.

Last edited by Steve Danville; 07-07-2013 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typo
post #18 of 18 Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Honda Nation

In the early days of emission controls, my Dad simply removed the cat and bypassed the vacuum lines for everyday driving, then when it came time for inspection he put it back in and plugged all the plumbing back together.

He had a '74 Nova SS 350 that he bought brand new. Had it optioned out with A/C, AM/FM 2 speaker 8 track, posi rear end, Chevy mag wheels, dual body colored side mirrors. It was white with black houndstooth interior, buckets and console with the console mounted tach. Tore the cat off the day he got it home. Fabricated some quick release clamps that made it a 5 minute job for him to remove the straight pipe and put the cat back in when it was time for emission inspection. Always passed, never had a problem.

That cat and the vacuum lines for emissions that year robbed at LEAST 25 hp. When the cat was out and the lines were bypassed, that baby was a blast to drive. He put an Edelbrock 4bbl carb on it, but otherwise kept it stock. Kept the car 12 years, and I even got to drive it once when I was 10. It was rusted out by then but that 350 still boogied..... that is, when the cat was out!

May 2009 - Present: 2009 Accord V6 6 MT coupe w/o nav, Alabaster Silver

Dec. 1999 - May 2010: 2000 Prelude 5 MT, sold with 220,000 miles and still running great - gone, but not forgotten
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.