15,000 Mile Oil Change Intervals - Is anyone doing this? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Leased a VW_My life ****s

15,000 Mile Oil Change Intervals - Is anyone doing this?

Hello Everyone!

I just changed my oil to Mobil1 Extended Performance w/ the Mobil1 Extended Performance filter. I intend to go 15,000 miles on this oil (but less than 1 year), just as the advertising suggests, regardless of what the Maintenance Minder tells me.

Considering that people are driving 7k to 9k mi on conventional oil, does anyone think there are negatives to this idea of going 15k mi on the Mobil1 EP?

'12 VW Jetta 2.5/5spd lease - WORST decision ever
'11 Infiniti G37x - Sold
'09 TW 6-6 - Sold 1/1/2011
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 AM
3rd Gear

I would recommend you still change it at the 1yr mark regardless of mileage if you cant do 15k in a year.

2002 Accord LX I4 Auto
2010 Odyssey EX
Previous Hondas:
1997 Accord EX Coupe 5spd
1984 Accord Hatchback 5spd
post #3 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
5th Gear

I don't buy into this claim. I'm certainly not a 3k mike interval guy either. I wouldn't go that long and I agree that if you hardly drive the car to do at least one change per year, if not every 6 months.

2010 Accord EX-L V6 PMM Sedan (w/o nav)
My First Honda!

X-tour shiftknob
Philips HIR 9012 Low Beams

post #4 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

is there any reason you want to believe an advertising promise from a big conglomerate? It seems you're willing to put your engine life on the line for it...

Good luck though....I'm sure it will be fine....I wouldn't do it, but to each his own....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro
post #5 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Leased a VW_My life ****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelamp View Post
I don't buy into this claim. I'm certainly not a 3k mike interval guy either. I wouldn't go that long and I agree that if you hardly drive the car to do at least one change per year, if not every 6 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
is there any reason you want to believe an advertising promise from a big conglomerate? It seems you're willing to put your engine life on the line for it...

Good luck though....I'm sure it will be fine....I wouldn't do it, but to each his own....
It's not that I believe the promise of a conglomerate, it's that in my reasoning I see that if conventional oil will do the job for 7,500k miles and Mobil1 synthetic can/does the job for 10k miles or longer, why can't the Mobil1 EP do the job for upwards of 15k miles? Truth be told, I probably won't make it to 15k miles in a year, but even so, 12k miles for an oil change interval would be impressive.

'12 VW Jetta 2.5/5spd lease - WORST decision ever
'11 Infiniti G37x - Sold
'09 TW 6-6 - Sold 1/1/2011
post #6 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 08:57 AM
3rd Gear

15k interval with M1 Extended would have to be under specific driving conditions such as hwy miles I presume. That said, there is no benefit other than saving $$$ to stretching the most miles between oil changes IMO.
post #7 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
avs
4th Gear

I guess it's fine to go up to 15k. Also, it's normal your motor will burn some oil. You might need to top off in between.
post #8 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM
5th Gear

i switched to M1 on my first oil change and the longest i've gone on it is 9k miles, but i drove hard for that period and the oil had visibly gone by the end of it... i would just keep a visual eye on the oil every 1k mile after 6k miles to make sure it still looks fairly clean and usable... i trust my judgment more then a computer...

09 EX Coupe
- I4, 5MT, PMM, TWM Leather wrapped, Pedals, Smoked, ClearGuard, WeatherTech, Deabdged, V6 lip, 35% HP Supreme, 35W 5k Retro Low/Fogs, LED lighting, lower grill w/ plate mod, 22mm Progress, Takeda SRI, ed e9.65i, ed NINe.2, 3sixty.2
post #9 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

you can't tell anything about oil by looking at it - supercharged engines turn the oil pitch black in hundreds of miles as soon as you put it in. It looks like it will destroy your engine. Better after the 6K or so, to rely on an oil analysis company like Blackstone labs...or just change it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRMed View Post
....why can't the Mobil1 EP do the job for upwards of 15k miles? Truth be told, I probably won't make it to 15k miles in a year......

what do you plan to do about your oil filter?

2002 Accord LX I4 Auto
2010 Odyssey EX
Previous Hondas:
1997 Accord EX Coupe 5spd
1984 Accord Hatchback 5spd
post #11 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
you can't tell anything about oil by looking at it - supercharged engines turn the oil pitch black in hundreds of miles as soon as you put it in. It looks like it will destroy your engine. Better after the 6K or so, to rely on an oil analysis company like Blackstone labs...or just change it....
I agree, color means nothing. Ever seen diesel oil 30 minutes after it was changed? I would do two oil analysis, one at 6K, and one at 12K. That will tell you if it will hold up for 15K or not. On Bobistheoilguy I have seen situations where it did not hold up at all and others where it did. As mentioned have several quarts on hand because it will consume some oil over that interval.
post #12 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

im a huge proponent of following the MM system. i find that is the one thing Honda did right to save us $$ & unecessary trips to the stealership, unlike the brakes etc. my 1st oil change was at 12k miles, w/ 20% left. color was like virgin olive oil, consistency was perfect & not a speck of black or corrosives/sediments showing. the 2nd oil change was around 17k miles w/ 20% left. i did it about once a year. i use Amsoil SSO synthetic, expensive; yes. but, so is the engine coupled with time, its a price im willing to pay. plus, b/c it is soooo efficient/long-lasting, the double price somewhat evens out or pays for itself every mile after 12-15k miles. b/c not many motor oils will be effective after 12-15k miles. AMSOIL FTW!!! i find the next best is Pennzoil platinum, then comes mobil1. also, on a side bar, some cars work beter with diff oils. my bimmer loves mobil 1, the honda love amsoil. so, there is a little room for experimentation.

09 LX-S Coupe, PMM 5spd. 3M tint. Valentine 1.
Front/Rear sway, 21 & 19mm
Tein SS coils
Interior blue LED ambiance w/ knob dimmer
DD Audio, Mcintosh HU, AudioControl Three.1 - 1/2 din
APR Carbonio custom Fog light CF CAI, audi sourced.
O.Z. Alleggerita HLT 18" 17lbs/wheel (charcoal)
Super Sport Michelins
Tanabe exhaust, blue flamed.
PowerSlot Drilled/slotted rotors, Hawk Pads
post #13 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear

VectHokie -- How do you know what your car likes? Does it burn less oil, or get better mileage?

I used 10,000 mile oil change intervals with mobil 1 full synthetic on my eclipse GSX (AWD turbo) and it was still running good at 276,000+mi when I sold it. The oil samples that I took at 10k said the oil was only 35% used, the recomendation was to continue using it.

I would recommend oil samples at 5,000 - 10,000 and 15,000 at least once to know how used up the oil is in your specific vehicle and oil. Cheap insurance to know what your vehicle is doing. I have no doubt that you can easily run 15,000 miles with any good full synthetic.

FWIW - I e-mailed mobil and asked them if I should switch my eclipse to extended performance when I had over 150,000 mi and they said it would not really matter.

2010 Accord Coupe - Black - V6 - 6 spd
post #14 of 34 Old 12-25-2010, 06:23 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpshooter View Post
VectHokie -- How do you know what your car likes? Does it burn less oil, or get better mileage?

I used 10,000 mile oil change intervals with mobil 1 full synthetic on my eclipse GSX (AWD turbo) and it was still running good at 276,000+mi when I sold it. The oil samples that I took at 10k said the oil was only 35% used, the recomendation was to continue using it.

I would recommend oil samples at 5,000 - 10,000 and 15,000 at least once to know how used up the oil is in your specific vehicle and oil. Cheap insurance to know what your vehicle is doing. I have no doubt that you can easily run 15,000 miles with any good full synthetic.

FWIW - I e-mailed mobil and asked them if I should switch my eclipse to extended performance when I had over 150,000 mi and they said it would not really matter.

I AGREE THAT A ANALYSIS must be completed at 10 k mark,,, I would recommend using 0w30 Amsoil, and a amsoil EAo filter. The web research I have been doing for the last 10 years has always had Amsoil near the top of all independent tests.

My own driving habits have shown Amsoil 0w30 at about 40% (TBN number)after 11 k miles.

Mobil puts the word synthetic on all it's products,, Base Stock there is BaseIII (petro oil), PAO (what used to be true synthetic) and Eister ( think posi trac additive/ $30 per qt)
post #15 of 34 Old 12-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Retired from Car Biz....

I use synthetics as I think it cuts sludge a bit...but I also believe after working with engines for 35 years that any oil that is changed on a reasonable basis (like every 5 or 6k) makes no difference at all in the life expectancy of a low stressed engine designed for a family car like the accord. It may be totally different for hi performance race motor but not the accord...Any oil that is a major brand name and proper Vis will work fine...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.