Remote Start Install - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Stuck in 5th Gear

Remote Start Install

Just wondering if anybody has installed the remote start on their 8th GEN and how hard the install was? With the winter coming up and this being the first auto I have ever owned, Iím really thinking about getting this installed. Since I always had manual I never had this feature, but think it would make my life a lot easier. Anybody recommend any particular brands? Any drawbacks to installing this? Looks like Honda makes one for the 8th GEN and itís going for about $350

2010 Coupe EX-L 2.4L PMM
-BC Racing BR Series Coilovers
-Greddy SE Cat-Back Exhaust
-Unorthodox Ultra SS Pulleys
-P2R Ported Intake Runners
-P2R Throttle Body Spacer
-P2R SS Downpipe
-Takeda SRI
-UR 22mm RSB
-SPC Rear Camber Kit
-Sprintbooster V1
-Satin Black Powdercoated Stock Wheels
-Front HFP Underspoiler
-M3 Rear Roof Spoiler
-HID 55W 6K Low's
-LED DRL's

Future: Wheels, Tires, Full UR Chassis Package
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Whatever you get don't get the OEM one. I had it and I ditched it in less than six months.
Pros:
  • Integrated with the auto climate control/defroster
Cons:
  • Extremely short range - I was lucky to get it to work at 100 ft.
  • Expensive - By the time you factor in installation it costs as much or more than an aftermarket one.
  • All doors, windows, and trunk have to be shut and the doors have to be locked to use it. If you vent the sunroof like I do in the summer, you can't start it remotely.
  • As soon as you unlock the door, open the door handle, or put the key in it shuts the car off. Then you have to restart it.
  • Can't leave the car running and take the key out and arm the security system if you are just running inside for a second, like grabbing a drink at a convience store.
  • It only comes with one remote. I don't know current prices but it was over $100 to get a second one and have it programmed back in 2008.

I have a DEI (Python) 2-way that I like. DEI also makes Viper and Clifford. They are all the same, it's just a matter if which one your shop carries.
Pros:
  • Extremely long range. They claim one mile and I don't doubt it. I can start my car from the checkout line of a big box store or from my seat in a movie theater.
  • Includes a better alarm system.
  • Can leave a window cracked and still start the car remotely.
  • Can remote start car, remotely unlock doors, get in, put key in and drive off without shutting down the car.
  • Can add Smart Start and control your car from an iPhone, Blackberry, or Android device.
  • Includes two remotes, one 1-way and one 2-way.
Cons:
  • Not integrated with auto climate control system. It just is set to whatever it was on when the car was turned off.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #3 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM
3rd Gear

Agreeed! I got the Viper 5901 installed in my car and the pit stop mode is pretty cool. Also I can walk out of class and I can actually remote start it as I'm walking out of the building so by the time I get to the car, I can just leave (and not feel bad about not waiting to warm up lol). If someone or something hits your car I get a page that says what got hit or what was opened, ie. trunk, door, etc... The 5902 model brings a pager with a color screen but I did not find that necessary lol... The Honda one brings climate controls but that's the only advantage, but as stated above you pretty much have to be outside to control it anyway which defeats the purpose.

2013 Accord EX-L Sedan
White Orchid Pearl w/ Ivory Interior

post #4 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
I'm in the same boat. I need a remote start, but the aftermarket alarm part is overkill for myself. I'm guessing though, that it's easier to simply go w/ in all-in-one solution--like what pgarci01 outlined w/ the 5901.

Input is appreciated & thanks 2010couper for starting this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoeMama78 View Post
Whatever you get don't get the OEM one. I had it and I ditched it in less than six months.
Pros:
Cons:
  • Expensive - By the time you factor in installation it costs as much or more than an aftermarket one.
  • All doors, windows, and trunk have to be shut and the doors have to be locked to use it. If you vent the sunroof like I do in the summer, you can't start it remotely.
  • As soon as you unlock the door, open the door handle, or put the key in it shuts the car off. Then you have to restart it.
  • Can't leave the car running and take the key out and arm the security system if you are just running inside for a second, like grabbing a drink at a convience store.
  • It only comes with one remote. I don't know current prices but it was over $100 to get a second one and have it programmed back in 2008.

I have a DEI (Python) 2-way that I like. DEI also makes Viper and Clifford. They are all the same, it's just a matter if which one your shop carries.
Pros:
  • Extremely long range. They claim one mile and I don't doubt it. I can start my car from the checkout line of a big box store or from my seat in a movie theater.
  • Can remote start car, remotely unlock doors, get in, put key in and drive off without shutting down the car.
  • Can add Smart Start and control your car from an iPhone, Blackberry, or Android device.
Cons:
  • Not integrated with auto climate control system. It just is set to whatever it was on when the car was turned off.
Thank you! This helps a lot. Which series of Python did you go with? Honda was pushing their system as the end all, be all.. I knew better--time to research

Current Stable-
~'10 Accord Coupe PMM w/Ivory EX-L V6 (pur. 8.24.10) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~'92 Mercedes 190e i-6 183k miles (1 family ownership)

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
post #5 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
4th Gear

So I'm guess that we can't install this on a manual?

2008 NHB Accord Coupe
EX-L 6-speed Manual
/with navigation

30% tint ll Digital HID 35w 6k headlights Digital HID 35w 5k foglights ll "Autozone Grill"
Black Accented Exhaust ll blue map and dome lights
Honda Factory Interior illumination ll Tinted Taillights ll ll
Vossen CV1 F20x9 R20x10.5 ll Hankook V12 Tires F225/35/20 R275/30/20 ll
M3 Roof Spoiler w/LED 3rd brake light ll SPC 3 Camber Arms
post #6 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM

KrazyFriend - You can get a DEI unit with remote start only

Chocopie - All the new DEI models come with manual transmission mode. You don't even have to bypass the clutch like the old days. You set it before leaving the car and it will start as long as you don't re-open the door after setting it.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #7 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Stanced 8thGen Accord

Viper 5902 for me.. Ordering next month!!

10' V6 Coupe BBP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
KrazyFriend - You can get a DEI unit with remote start only
Sweet...but wondering, if they're already messing with the electrical wiring to get this going, putting in an antenna for remote range, etc..considering I'm not doing the labor, one would figure you might as well spend the extra cheddar and get some features a 2-way alarm adds. Or is adding a remote start vastly easier and less labor intense than a car alarm/remote start (i'm not intending on going crazy w/ sensors and stuff like that)

Current Stable-

Past Stable-
post #9 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
niiice!

Viper 5902 rocks!!!

2010 Accord Coupe EX I4 Auto PMM
post #10 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
5th Gear

I have the Clifford 50.7x.
2-way remote start/alarm.

2009 Crystal Black Pearl Honda Accord Coupe
EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Blue LED Map and Dome Lights
Kensington Wireless iPod Remote
10 inch Alpine Type R Sub
Alpine M-500 Amp
Retrosolutions 55w 5000K hids Low Beam
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler
Zexen Engineering Tail Light Mod
post #11 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
Sweet...but wondering, if they're already messing with the electrical wiring to get this going, putting in an antenna for remote range, etc..considering I'm not doing the labor, one would figure you might as well spend the extra cheddar and get some features a 2-way alarm adds. Or is adding a remote start vastly easier and less labor intense than a car alarm/remote start (i'm not intending on going crazy w/ sensors and stuff like that)
Depending on the bypass modules they use, there should be minimal extra work required for alarm. They will have to run the wires for the siren, and plug in whatever sensor you choose to install.

Check out that link to see a typical install. I followed the RS section when I installed mine.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #12 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 01:59 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
Depending on the bypass modules they use, there should be minimal extra work required for alarm. They will have to run the wires for the siren, and plug in whatever sensor you choose to install.

Check out that link to see a typical install. I followed the RS section when I installed mine.
Thanks! That's very helpful and enlightening, I'm pretty sure I could manage this as a DIY as my soldering skills are pretty decent (been around an xbox and 360 in my day).. Just not sure I have the time to be taking 4-5 hrs to figure it all out. However, paying someone 200-300 for an install I'd be capable of is sort of gut wrenching.

Current Stable-

Past Stable-
post #13 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
Thank you! This helps a lot. Which series of Python did you go with? Honda was pushing their system as the end all, be all.. I knew better--time to research
I have the Python 991, which is the same as the Viper 5901 and Clifford 50.7X.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #14 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM

I spent numerous hours researching before even attempting to begin the install. By the time I was done researching I was able to do the actual install in under an hour. The shop I went to buy my bypass module even offered me a job because of the the amount of knowledge I had when I went there.

When it was all said and done, there is only one wire in the car that will actually show signs that it was touched. That is the wire for the blinking green light because I has to cut it.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #15 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 03:44 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to trithumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoeMama78 View Post
Pros:
Cons:

Pros:
Cons:
which model did u get and how much was it? for parts and installation... or did u install it urself?

::: PMM 09 accord coupe EX-L 2.4 Auto ::: Black T-Rex lower billet grille ::: Upper Mugen replica grille :::
HFP Lipkit with gloss black fog housings ::: 55w 10000k HIDS low beams ::: 19x8.5 konig lace ::: 245/35/20 falken 452 ::: air ride suspension ::: J-power 3 arm Camber kit ::: 15% tint all around ::: Smoked tail lights ::: Interior Hyper White LED Dome and map lights ::: Custom stock headlights with sprayed chrome housings, tinted amber side marker and CCFL halos :::
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.