2008 Accord EX-L 2.4 intermittantly dies - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
  • 1 Post By 2008accordhonda
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

2008 Accord EX-L 2.4 intermittantly dies

Hi, hoping for some help or suggestions of things to check.
I have a 2008 Accord EX-L 2.4 wtih 180,000 miles that starts and drives great, but will intermittantly have the engine die. This can occur while idling in the driveway or even while driving down the highway.
After some research, these are the things I have tried:
To test the ignition switch, I have started the car and then giggled the key to see if the engine would die. It did not on many attempts. So, the ignition system seems to be ok.
I have changed the air filter thinking that maybe it was clogged and that was the issue. No help.
I have changed the spark plugs (they were about due) and no help.
Edit: I should have mentioned, there are no codes. The engine light is not coming on or any other indicator. I hooked up an ODBII scanner and there were no messages.

There is a little bit of a back story with this issue. The car dieing started when I fixed a bad relay for my AC compressor.
We bought the car used about a year ago and it ran perfectly.
About 2 months ago the AC would not always come on. When it did come on, it was cold.
So, this weekend, I tried a few things on the AC to get it to work and it appears to be the AC Compressor relay switch is bad. I bought an AC Compressor switch from Honda ($30 seems overpriced...) and whala the AC runs and is very cold.
Now, later in the day, my son takes the car out and calls me saying that the car is dieing while driving. It is not so bad that he can't get home, so we waited till the next day to investigate.
So, just to see if it is something with the relay, we take the new relay out and put the old one back in. The AC no longer works, but the car does not seem to die. But, it is hard to know for sure since we don't know how to relyably make it stop running.
So, we put the new relay switch back in, but turn off the AC and drive. It eventually dies again.

Is there some reason why the relay switch for the AC compressor would sometimes cause the engine to die? Or is this just another issue that coincidentally appeared while we were fixing the AC?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Can someone tell me where the "Main Relay Switch" is located?
One thing I have seen suggested for this is the "Main Relay Switch" going bad or having a bad solder joint. I can't seem to find information on where the "Main Relay Switch" for a 2008 accord 2.4 engine is located.

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Out of Control

Any pending codes ? Clean the maf sensor & throttle body to rule them out, look the air intake tube for any cracks.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 514K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you for the reply.
I should have mentioned, there are no codes. The engine light is not coming on or any other indicator. I hooked up an ODBII scanner and there were no messages. I will update my original message.
I do not see any cracks in the air intake tube. It looks to be in good condition.

I will get some stuff to clean the mass air flow sensor and throttle body and let you know how it works out. Thanks.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-12-2018, 04:43 AM
Out of Control

The first thing to check is the battery and battery connections, both cables should be clean and tight. Also, the connection on the negative cable to the body should be checked to make sure it is clean and tight as well. Be sure the grounds from the engine to the body and the transmission to the body are clean and tight as well. How old is the battery?

The next thing is the AC, the fact that you have had 2 bad relays is concerning. It could be your AC compressor is having issues and the clutch is drawing to much current. You could try driving will no AC relay in the car and see if the issue goes away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #5 of 6 Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hi, thank you for the response.
I should have included in my original post, the battery is only a few months old.
I did check the battery connections, but I did not look at the negative connection to the body. I will do that.
I will also try driving around with no AC for a while to see if it dies.

On another note, I also cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor that was suggested by KW2004Accord. The car does seem to run a little smoother and it is actually idling a little higher, but smoother. So, I will see how that goes.
KW2004Accord likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

good luck buddy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.