Knocking sound in front end? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old 08-29-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
me5po5ito

Angry Knocking sound in front end?

I have been noticing and odd knocking sound in the front end...

When I am in stop and go traffic, I usually hear it right as I approach a full stop. As soon as I take my foot off the brake and the car starts to move forward, I hear the sound again. And when I am stopped if I move the wheel from side to side, I hear a slight knock as well every time I move the wheel back and forth. I can feel it on the brake pedal, too.

Passengers have also commented that they can hear it, although it isn't too loud.

Obviously the car has to be brought in, but any ideas what this could be? Anyone have this before?

'09 RBP EX-V6 Navi Sedan

Previous Accords
'08 NBP EX-L Auto Coupe
'03 GP EX-L Auto Coupe
'98 EX Sedan
'95 EX-V6 Sedan
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Sylv Send a message via MSN to Sylv
Sounds odd, can you post a video of it?

post #3 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

does it happen when you slightly hold the brake to nudge up in traffic? it could be that the brakes are just not embedded right? i had that too when i got my hawk brake pads and then they wore in and stopped

post #4 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

does it go with the rotation of your tires...does it speed up and slow down?
post #5 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
me5po5ito

Omegs -- yes it does. I thought it could be the brakes but i don't know how that would apply to the knocking when I move the wheel side to side at times? Also my brakes aren't new... The car only has 7500 miles on it (although they are coming up for replacement soon in Hondas books!)

Woodrock -- no. It is only one time, not a rotating thing. Once when I stop, then as soon as I take my foot off the brake and the car starts rolling it does it again.

'09 RBP EX-V6 Navi Sedan

Previous Accords
'08 NBP EX-L Auto Coupe
'03 GP EX-L Auto Coupe
'98 EX Sedan
'95 EX-V6 Sedan
post #6 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Sylv Send a message via MSN to Sylv
Ok, try this

When the sound begins to happen, pull the handbrake for a second or two and see if the rattling sort of sound goes away, if thats the case, then your Brake pads are rattling around.. (This is happening to my buddy's e39 540i) [if it still happens, push the brake pedal to see if it goes away, may be front]

If that doesn't work then I can't help O.o unless of course you can make a video
post #7 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

I thought I was the only one. I've just hit 80,000 miles, and have been experiencing the EXACT SAME THING. It's quite annoying actually. I just had the front rotors resurfaced and new brake pads installed about 2,000-3,000 miles before this problem arose. I'm suspecting cv joints, but I haven't had time to take stuff apart yet.

The problem occurs in about the 1-4 mph range, and as best as I can describe it, it kind of sounds like the beginning of cv shaft/joint failure, with the clicking/knocking noise as the front wheels rotate. The noise even happens when you're off the brake and just idling forward, but as you accelerate past 5 mph, it disappears (when driving in a straight line, and while turning). The clicking also begins as you're slowing down below 5 mph.

2013 Honda Accord EX Coupe - San Marino Red
post #8 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
me5po5ito

CV Joints at 7000 miles??? What the ?!?

I'm not sure if its that, because I don't hear it again and again as I drive. But I do hear it from time to time when I go over bumps, so maybe???

The sound I am hearing is like the sound your brakes make when they are wet after a carwash. Doest that make sense?

Sorry... no way to make a video!

'09 RBP EX-V6 Navi Sedan

Previous Accords
'08 NBP EX-L Auto Coupe
'03 GP EX-L Auto Coupe
'98 EX Sedan
'95 EX-V6 Sedan
post #9 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear

for me personally i dont think its the joints i think its just the brake pad rubbing againest the disc happened to me for like 2k miles and then went away same thing with my dad's brand new RAV4 after about 8k it went away nothing i worried about it just all together went away so im guessin the brake pads are just rubbing cause they might be still new i'll post up a video of the sound it only happened to me when i would just there and turn the wheel and it would be like this grinding sound but i knew it was from the brakes still being new so for me no worries
post #10 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear

I'll try to make a video, but I doubt the noise will be heard, but the noise occurs with or without the application of the brakes. I can go from 0 mph to 4 mph, hear the noise, engage the e-brake to slow back down to 1 mph, and idle up to 4 mph again and still hear the noise.

2013 Honda Accord EX Coupe - San Marino Red
post #11 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
6th Gear

Weird situation, hope someone fixes it for you!

030810 Accord Coupe V6 Auto, P2R Ported Intake Runners, Farenheit Navi w/Backup Cam, Zexen Taillights, M3 Rooflip Spoiler
072612 Totaled by a Hit-and-Run Drunk Driver: RIP
post #12 of 86 Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

well it only occured to me when the brakes were applied. but with barely any pressure the sound could be heard from the front
post #13 of 86 Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Internet

you might have a blown shock or your bolts on your top hat of the strut may be loose

2010 Sedan PMM LX-P
post #14 of 86 Old 08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Hello,
my accord had a similar issue with knocking like that and it would happen when I push the brakes and only hear it once. This was really noticeable though and not faint noise. My problem was the brake pads were banging against the caliper as I believe they were installed improperly. Later found out there were no metal shims just pads sitting on rotor and the pads were loose on the caliper and banging side to side as I go forward and backwards or push the brake also. good luck.

PS - just read your latest post....sounds as if your CV joint/axle is failing have it checked out. Happened to my previous accord LX at just 55K miles and it was just as you decribe slight clank during acceleration and excessive vibration at high speed also. Had the dealer change out both for $100(under warranty).

2005 Accord EX V6
post #15 of 86 Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
me5po5ito

Smile

Fixed!

Brought it to my dealer after work today (thankfully service is open til 7PM ) They took it for a ride around the lot... immediately heard the issue. They took it for about a half hour and said they wanted to check to make sure it was still safe to drive (I didnt really even think of that).

Anyway they came back and said that the brake pad/calipers were dry and needed some lubrication. Issue solved.

'09 RBP EX-V6 Navi Sedan

Previous Accords
'08 NBP EX-L Auto Coupe
'03 GP EX-L Auto Coupe
'98 EX Sedan
'95 EX-V6 Sedan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.