3Likes
  • 1 Post By 08 v6/6
  • 1 Post By Das Chicken
  • 1 Post By 08 v6/6
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Yea I modded my car again

Aluminum Flywheel vs OEM

FWIW I just got my car back the other day with the new Clutchmasters flywheel and clutch.

I weighed the oem flywheel at aprox 30LBS give or take 1/2 a pound

The Aluminum one is 13lbs!

17 LBS of weight shaved off the drivetrain!

this car is a joy to drive now. Shifting is sooooo easy now. Getting into first gear is going to require some time to get used to and the clutch needs to be broken in before there is no more chatter.

But aside from that I am in absolute heaven.

Just wanted to share the weight savings with everyone. Cause when I held the oem flywheel I couldn't believe how much weight it had. That's when I jumped on the scale to find out it's less than half the weight!

Baldeagle likes this.

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Dyno Tuned Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line & powerlinks, P2R gaskets, Clutchmasters flywheel and clutch, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Takeda SRI, Unorthodox pulley, P2R pnp runners, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

Garage
Is that a non dual mass flywheel then? How does the smoothness compare? Does your car have rev hang, and if so, does that lighter flywheel reduce the time in rev hang?

Baldeagle likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 155K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

DMF is for OEM. SMF is the aluminum one I have. You need to make sure you get a SMF clutch as well so OEM won't work to my knowledge.

I have ktnuner and fuel cut at 0 from 1-5 and throttle compensation at 0

That got rid of most of the rev hang. This was the icing on the cake.

Car is way smoother when shifting into gears But then again I am rev match so it's going to be smooth no matter what. It's just a less pronounced engagement.

You have cannot just let off the gas and change gears you need to be ever so slightly on the throttle so the rpms don't crash before you shift. But I am used to that already because of my ktuner settings.

For sure some people would hate the car the way it is but me being an enthusiast I can't get the car to be sensitive enough. If I could get it even more responsive I would but literally I have done everything I can to make the revs fly. I even have the aluminum pulley from unorthodox. Hitting the gas at 3k or so in 2nd gear is just a treat now. So reckless hahaha
Baldeagle likes this.

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Dyno Tuned Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line & powerlinks, P2R gaskets, Clutchmasters flywheel and clutch, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Takeda SRI, Unorthodox pulley, P2R pnp runners, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold

post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Just here for the food

nice!!! out of curiosity, what did you spend on the whole service? parts + labor?

'09 EX-L Sedan L4 "Nina" | NH578
Current mods:
  • LED interior lights (warm white dome + map | blue courtesy/door)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 6000k COB LED Bar DRL/Fogs (just for looks) INOP

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NOKYA Hyper Yellows for DRLs/Highs
Upcoming:
– Plasti-dip stuff
– 2G TSX XM antenna swap
– Deck lid spoiler
– Black out roof
– LED fog light kit/mod

"Information is not knowledge." – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
That's one heavy OEM flywheel, though I personally wouldn't want the RPM to spin down too quickly to the point where you have to compensate with gas...

The OEM one in my current car is only 17 pounds or so.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

2000$ CAD it cost me all in including an alignment after it was all put back together.

I got a deal on the parts as I bought them through amazon and waited a month or two for the parts to get in stock.
The labor I was able to trade with my mechanic cause I fixed his hot tub (that's what I do for a living) and so we just traded.

definitely a pricey job, but it was the last thing I could do to my car without opening up the motor and changing things out, which I don't wanna do unless I do an entire rebuild.

08 EX-L V6/6
post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2018, 05:18 AM
Out of Control

Sounds like a great mod, one that has always piqued my curiosity. So many questions.

• Dual mass flywheels are designed to absorb torsional engine vibrations. In terms of vibrations and balance, a V6 falls in between an I4 (with no balance shafts) and an I6. V6s are not perfect. Do you feel any undampened vibrations in the car?

• As far being smoother, you also have a new pressure plate, bearing, clutch and flywheel. Right? How much do you think the new pressure plate changed the feel? Is it stiffer? Is it more linear or springy? Where does it grab?

• Are there any changes to your shifter, shift cables or shift linkages? Even lubricating them can make changing gears smoother. (I usually spray the shift cable-linkages located right above the MT housing once per year with silicone. Makes a big difference.)

• With less spinning weight, is getting off the line any different? What is the feedback like?

• Does the car feel faster when floored? Do the wheels spin easier?

• And what about your overall shift rhythm? You mentioned you must maintain slight throttle to prevent the rpm from falling too fast. When shifting fast, do the rpm meet the next gear more naturally?

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #8 of 9 Old 02-15-2018, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Vibrations ZERO. if anything it may be smoother

New pressure plate definitely changed the entire feel of the clutch. The oem one had POP to it so you knew where exactly to engage. This one now is linear so you have to just know when/where it wants to engage. Took only a couple days to get that under wraps. It's a tad bit stiffer, maybe 15% or something. It grabs pretty high up since the light flywheel as soon as it starts to touch its already beginning to do its job.

Nothing was changed when doing the clutch about the shifter. However I do have an INSANE shifter know made from Sphereology

That was one of the best mods I did for driveability

Car is definitely less smoth when getting into first gear. You gotta do it a little faster now so it's a bit tough to get going gracefully, But that will come with practice and the clutch still needs a ways to be broken in.

Car is WAY faster when u floor it now. 1st gear, 2nd gear and 3rd gear are night and day difference. Thats why I did this mod mostly!!! GAHGAHAHAHA luvvvvv it

When shifting really slow u just need to leave ur foot where it is for a fraction of a second to keep the rpms from falling like a rock then bouncing back up again. I was doing this a bit before with the oem flywheel cause of my Ktuner settings so I was already good at doing that. Now it's just a lot more necessary.

Do the rpm meet the gear more naturally? well yes cause the flywheel has less mass so there is less inertia to fight against which makes rev matching a hell of a lot easier. downshifting is literally like cheating now. Honestly I'm in heaven all over again with this car.

Next thing Ima do is remove the front license plate, add in my lower front grill and get the bumper repainted. Then She will be looking SWEET

08 EX-L V6/6
The Following User Says Thank You to 08 v6/6 For This Useful Post:
Baldeagle (02-15-2018)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 AM
Out of Control

I appreciate your response, especially the part about better acceleration and easier rev matching. It all makes sense. With regard to smoothness, I am not surprised to hear that the single mass flywheel does not have more vibration. The Civic Type R uses a single mass with no apparent vibration problems. That is obviously an I4 with traditional second order balance problems AND the Type R 2.0T has no balance shafts. If any Honda engine would need a dual mass flywheel it is that 2.0T engine. I always wondered why the V6 had a dual mass FW with its extra weight, extra cost, internal springs, moving parts, etc. Based on your observations it really doesn't need it, at least for smoothness. BTW, did you remove your slave cylinder's dampening valve? If yes, I suspect that may affect how the clutch grabs too. I'm happy for you. This new flywheel seems like a good mod.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.