Totaled My Accord, Going in For Round Two - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Totaled My Accord, Going in For Round Two

Hey, all. Recently, my 08 6-6 was totalled due to being wrapped around a tree. Thankfully, no one was hurt, and all is good. Anyway, I am in the market and found a blue 2011 6-6 near me with 137k miles. I have yet to go look at it but have plans to later this week after I hear from insurance. Anyway, the accord looks flawless from the pictures (minus a small hole in the side of the passenger seat and slightly worn shift knob) which is unheard of in NY. The guy bought it over the summer for a winter car and is looking to get rid of it. He has no idea how many owners it has had or what kind of service history. I am almost certain with that many miles, it has had the timing belt done (kinda feel like it would be a goner by now if it wasn't done) but I don't know for sure.
I plan on having a VIN check done on it and will be scanning it for codes when I look at it. For those of you who have had VIN checks done, who gives you the most info for the money? Also, at $8,000 do you think this is a fair price? KBB has it around that price, but I would like to negotiate with him without giving an offensive offer. (again, 2011 6-6, no navigation, no rust as far as I can tell, but no owner info whatsoever.) Thanks!!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Armstrong View Post
He has no idea how many owners it has had or what kind of service history. I am almost certain with that many miles, it has had the timing belt done (kinda feel like it would be a goner by now if it wasn't done) but I don't know for sure.
No records? Yeah, plan on a timing belt job with tensioner and water pump. Don't get emotional because you just lost the "same" 6-6 car.

post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
No records? Yeah, plan on a timing belt job with tensioner and water pump. Don't get emotional because you just lost the "same" 6-6 car.
Not getting emotional, just trying to think it through and decide if this is a good choice. They're letting us get the car back, so if I have a parts car around, it would make sense to have a car to use them on if need be. Plus, with how that car handled the wreck, I kinda don't think I really want any other car for a while, ha. Thanks for the info.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 05:54 AM
4th Gear

I love that color. Parents just got a 18 CR-V with that navy (might be slightly different) but love it. Sharp!
Is new one black leather as well?

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Sorry, did not mean to suggest that you were getting emotional. A better way to say it might mean to not brush-off or make light of service it will need. On the 7th gen forum, we tell all new owners that in the absence of service records, to change all fluids and filters and to check spark plugs (for correct plug and torque as well as longevity).

Remember that it is not the timing belt that fails, but the tensioner. THAT is what causes the belt to skip a gear tooth.

Your story is hitting home for me. My buddy got rear ended in his 2006 6-6 coupe last fall- right after he did the 110,000 mile service including timing belt, fluids, filters, and new tires. His settlement check was surprisingly high- he bought it for $6,800 four years earlier and he received $8,000 from insurance- go figure? He searched for a 6-6 sedan and suddenly one popped up in northern Michigan with 80,000 miles and a timing belt job just completed.

I was his ride up there but on the condition that I got to drive it back to Chicago. Man I love that 6-6 sedan.

You will have to ensure it was not a "flood car", since there are no records....gotta get on the ground and spend time looking/probing with a flashlight.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Yes, it is, scar
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
On the 7th gen forum, we tell all new owners that in the absence of service records, to change all fluids and filters and to check spark plugs (for correct plug and torque as well as longevity).

Remember that it is not the timing belt that fails, but the tensioner. THAT is what causes the belt to skip a gear tooth.

You will have to ensure it was not a "flood car", since there are no records....gotta get on the ground and spend time looking/probing with a flashlight.
Oh, that makes sense. I definitely plan on doing a VIN check and getting all the info possible if I look at this car and decide it is something I want to pursue. I will definitely go over it with a fine tooth comb, haha. It looks like he has it in a garage, so it should be a fairly easy thing to do. Do you have any specific things to look for (things that fail, obvious signs of bad parts, etc)? Also, I will be scanning it for any codes, and I should be able to look at the fuel trims and other things as I use Torque with an adapter. I know when I got my timing belt done on mine (only like 3 months ago, go figure) that they put a sticker near the hood strut in my engine bay with the engine mileage and date at the time of the service, so do we know if that is a requirement for Honda techs or was that just a courtesy thing?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM
DIY Kid/Hypermiler

My 2006 6-6 had 135K when I bought it, and it did not have the timing belt job done. It shouldn't fail that early even with the original timing belt. I do however have a neighbor up the street from me that had a timing belt fail on an acura mdx at 180K. I hope you know what went wrong and how to avoid it next time. Now get a dash cam!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Ah so you do have a drinking problem. You do not drink enough.
Quote:
When I was little girl in Russia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropgun View Post
You high?
2006 Honda Accord EX 6-6 Sedan Tafetta White 152K miles. DIY coroplast undertray, hybrid rear diffuser, Odyssey intake spacer milled down to 1.3", Engine block heater, Power steering delete, Acura RSX rims
post #9 of 10 Old 01-12-2018, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

I have the same setup, aside from replacing wheel bearings and a cv axle and half-shaft at 84k miles it has been an amazing little car. I own two Hondas previously, a CRX SI and a Del Sol and neither really did it for me but this 6/6 coupe hits my buttons and is a bit of surprise for those stop light heroes that miss the V6 badge on the trunk. I bought mine used so please, by all means, do a PPI. Good luck bud.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
Now get a dash cam!
Haha, I have one.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.